How do you catch and target Salmon Sharks?

Danimal Baird

Hello, I would like to catch a Salmon shark! I know what they eat, I know how to use a self bailing deck to "chum" for shark, I know to use a steel leader and a heavy rod/reel. I would like to know how deep to be fishing for a salmon shark. I am betting they are generally in the colder waters on the west coast of Vancouver Island, and i have a feeling it is like cut plugging, but with a salmon.
I know you can keep just one a day, too!

Any tips? Ideas? How fast should we be dragging our gear for shark?

thanks in advance,
daniel

First thing-AFAIK it's against the law to use a sport caught Salmon for bait so start looking for some cheapo farmed Atlantics-or maybe freezer burned Pinks from last season.

There are a couple videos on Youtube by a guy named Fred Archer that might help-lots of others too.

Dog Breath. Are freezer burnt pinks from last season no longer considered sport caught salmon?
The ones I meant are commercial caught On Sale in low end operations

As the season heats up and recent commercial catches fill commercial operation freezers the cheap stuff ends up @ different lower end retailers-I see that in Chinatown a lot Salmon for less than $2/lb.

Most of us would consider it cat food but it suits some needs/budgets.

Dog Breath. Are freezer burnt pinks from last season no longer considered sport caught salmon?

it doesn't matter, there is no law that states that sport caught fish must be passed through the digestive track. As long as you are within your limits you are free to use salmon as you please.

There's a certain lodge at the north end of the island that used to instruct the guides to catch springs and use them for Halibut bait. I'm not sure if that practice is still taking place, but it was a few years back.

That being said, surely with salmon stocks in the trouble they are I hope nobody is using springs or coho for bait - but that's you're own ethical decision to make.

When I worked for Eagle Pointe Lodge in 1995, it was a strong year for Pinks - couldn't keep them off the hook while targeting Salmon. We would keep the first one or two and release anything else we caught while looking for Chinook and Coho.

The poor first biting Pinks got chunked up and impaled on big circle hooks for tageting Halibut. Worked quite well. The Commercial guys were out in big numbers scooping up the Pinks, and quite often we would find 2 or 3 Pink Salmon heads in the stomachs of the Halibut we caught.

First thing-AFAIK it's against the law to use a sport caught Salmon for bait...

Reference??

Most people I know have been using salmon bellies, tails, heads and collars to fish for Hali on WCVI forever and I see no regulation stating it to be otherwise unlawful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the "no sport caught fish as bait" is a freshwater regulation. Should be fine if the bait comes out of the ocean.

First thing-AFAIK it's against the law to use a sport caught Salmon for bait so start looking for some cheapo farmed Atlantics-or maybe freezer burned Pinks from last season.

There are a couple videos on Youtube by a guy named Fred Archer that might help-lots of others too.

I think what Dogbreath meant, as was already stated, is you can't catch say 6 springs in a day, and use 4 for bait and put two on ice and call it legal within your limits. There are no rules with the fish you do choose to keep, as in using parts for bait, etc.

But yes, it's very common practice for guys to catch pinks and carve 'em up for Hali bait. But since they aren't generally taking any pinks home, it should still be legal unless you harvest more than four. Myself, I prefer to use the parts of the salmon I keep instead of killing one solely for bait, but to each their own.

I think the "no sport caught fish as bait" is a freshwater regulation. Should be fine if the bait comes out of the ocean.

Yes, but it says no 'fin fish' for bait except with the head off in the freshwater section of the Fraser, obviously for Sturgeon fishing.

The other Freshwater reg is it is illegal to waste the fish you retain. Not sure if there is a similar reg for tidal. Either way, Is using fish for bait considered 'wasting'? I don't think so.

My friend Steve Apple made a movie called "Hustle and Fish". It's a humorous take on the life of a fisherman and his dream of catching a Salmon Shark. Here's the website link to the trailer http://rollcastproductions.com/ In the movie they actually catch Salmon Shark near Valdez, Alaska. Some great cinematography and cool fishing footage with some good laughs.

Regarding how to catch salmon sharks?....my son just said "cut plug 20 pulls out the back of boat" lol :) he hooked into 2 last year up in the Charlotte's while guiding. ..one they played for 4hrs. It took them 20 miles out towards alaska....they estimated it to be 12ft .....he also said they are just like a great white in looks...

I remember a couple of pics last year of guys getting them straight out off Bamfield (while fishing for something else).....they were about 6footers or so.

Those and also 6-gills.

Hmm, I wouldn't waste a perfectly good salmon meal on a shark anyway.
what i plan to do to a salmon shark? Definitely not fin it,

if it's a good size and not too big, I'll eat it.
thanks everyone, i have my connections in and around both haida gwaii and vancouver island. Will try cut plugging a bunch of rods with cheap salmon from the store, after we have had our fill on tuna, salmon and hali!

any other suggestions?

I wouldn't approach a guide about teaching me how to catch shark.. Not trying to be cocky, but im confident if my uncle can catch a great white while tuna fishing off his commercial boat,
i can PROBABLY hook into a salmon shark. I just hope it isn't too big! I'll definitely be releasing the big ones i catch!

I won't be bottom fishing for sixgills, I dont feel like hauling up a 800+ lb shark . Especially in barkley sound; we have the highest population of six gills on the west coast.

Won't be trying to target one of those suckers!

Back