Hoochies

Brett83

When rigging up a hoochie, I usually choose my desired leader lengths. I then tie the opposite end of the hoochie to a swivel. I'm wondering if no swivel would give it better action?

I did the same and still have lots tied that way, but my newer ones are on Mcmahon/scissor snaps.
I have read that some go so far as to cut off the swivel and clip off the back of the flasher and tie direct to the ring.
If fishing is that tough, I'd switch to bait.

Don't you already have a good quality swivel om your flasher? The only swivel I'm using in my hoochie rig is the one to my siwash hook...

I don't think it makes any difference to the action. I tie swivels on everything so I can change out gear quickly, I catch fish, so I guess it works.

I use swivels fish hootchies a lot and catch fish. But this sounds like I get to buy more flashers so its worth a try

I use barrel swivels instead of the long bead chains. Kinda best of both worlds I guess. The set up works so I don’t muck with it. I think a stiff leader is most important with hootchies

We went out on Wednesday and picked up four nice springs and shook two others in two hours using hoochies with snap swivels at the flasher end. They must have missed the memo.

Can anyone repost the small eyeball hoochies that were displayed a while back and where to buy them?
I can't find the original postings. Thanks

I have fished hoochies for years and {like others} have found 50 pound test out fishes 30 and no swivel between the flasher and hoochy with one hook on a swivel. Generally use 42 to 44" leaders

I don't think it makes any difference to the action. I tie swivels on everything so I can change out gear quickly, I catch fish, so I guess it works.
i do, but friends can still disagree. :)

one thing i noticed was how complete trash the connections are getting on flashers. open and close the provided coastlock swivel a few times and it basically breaks in half. i tie up my hootchie rigs with mcmahon snaps in anticipation of a break, this way i can still attach to the welded ring. you can’t do that with a swivel.

I use to over think hoochies with a swivel without a swivel, it's the most forgiving gear no matter what speed it's working, spoons and bait need a certain speed or they loose there presentation, i started playing around with lengths drastically thought why am i worried about a swivel loosing action when all is needed is take 4-6" off the leader and man it's whipping fast, which coho love, got a few sets tied different lengths right to the flasher for slow water, heavy current, coho and springs.. so length is key imo test each in the water ...get a visual if you were a fish...

The swivel I would think helps keep the hook in a rolling flipping acrobatic coho lol. Swivel for quick change out to you got to be changing to match the conditions speed clarity ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll catch fish with every suggestion above.

That being said I’m one of those who removes everything off the back of the flasher other than the ring. Berkeley snap, 40# line to a single quality 4/0 octopus hook. Very simple set up that works well. A nice trick to measuring leader length, hook one end of the flasher and wrap the leader lengthwise. Chinook like 3.5 - 4 wraps.

Back