Hoochie leader Lengths

IMG_0436.JPG
I'm sure we have all seen this on the back of a new flasher package.
Way back when I first started to saltwater fish, I somewhat used the shorter number as suggested for hootchies.
It was a good starting point for me and I did catch fish.
Although it seemed easier to find salmon that where willing to bite a hook back then.

View attachment 33766
I'm sure we have all seen this on the back of a new flasher package.
Way back when I first started to saltwater fish, I somewhat used the shorter number as suggested for hootchies.
It was a good starting point for me and I did catch fish.
Although it seemed easier to find salmon that where willing to bite a hook back then.

18" leaders? Can't say I have ever fished with them that short......lolz

I usually start with 36" but I'll hold my rod and flasher underwater by the boat to check the action I like to see a little hitch in the action and if not I'll shorten the leader also a heavier lead helps with the action

Love fishing with hoochies. Almost pass out when I see the hoochy wall at Pacific Net and Twine in Steveston.
;)

For many years I have used 38 inches from nose of hoochy to swivel at the end of leader. This has been effective from about 1.8 mph to 2.5 mph. Recommendation from Chris Barker (guide) of Tofino for both Chinook and Coho. Simpler to have a compromise length rather than two. Sockeye leaders shorter, I haven't got a standard length, it seems to vary.

Recently changed to 50 lb mono leader, cuttlefish size hoochies and single 5/0 siwash hook with swivel. Stiffer leader increases action and with a single and very serious hook, you get a serious hookup or not. Seems to be working. Suggestion from several to follow commercial and guide practices.

I run about a 27" - 28" leader for Coho and often catch springs with those lengths although my Spring lengths are usually in the 40" - 42" size. Sounds like I should step up to 40lb leader though as I use 30lb now.

I'm experimenting a bit with the lengths, but tend to gravitate towards the 40" overall length. In Sidney, where there are more sandlance than anchovy, I'll run more needlefish hoochies, which will be a couple inches shorter overall (and a jughead, for added fun).

I go that short for soc

Interesting. Do you net or just haul your sox over the side? Since I went longer I just lift them over the side now right into the box unless I see they are not hooked well. Just too much time taking them out of the net....the longer leader allow more speed variability and a longer bite windows when they're not as active and the bite dies.

I'll leave a dozen crimped ones on your boat...they're pretty sweet. These rock my world.

I run about a 27" - 28" leader for Coho and often catch springs with those lengths although my Spring lengths are usually in the 40" - 42" size. Sounds like I should step up to 40lb leader though as I use 30lb now.

The action is all that really matters... good action = productive fishing.

18" leaders? Can't say I have ever fished with them that short......lolz

I usually run my hooch leaders around 3 ft for springs, shorter for socks. Although a couple years ago in Ukee, I got pretty lazy on the setup we were catching springs on and just kept shortening it up over 3 days of fishing due to abrasions on the line. By the last day it must have been less than about 1 ft from flasher to hooch and it was still killing springs to 25 lbs. Didn't really notice a difference compared to normal setup in terms of catch #'s. I was a bit surprised as we were fishing on the rocks, not out on the banks with the eager biters.

I usually run my hooch leaders around 3 ft for springs, shorter for socks. Although a couple years ago in Ukee, I got pretty lazy on the setup we were catching springs on and just kept shortening it up over 3 days of fishing due to abrasions on the line. By the last day it must have been less than about 1 ft from flasher to hooch and it was still killing springs to 25 lbs. Didn't really notice a difference compared to normal setup in terms of catch #'s. I was a bit surprised as we were fishing on the rocks, not out on the banks with the eager biters.

I have a friend over there who had some big strikes but no hook ups and he noticed the Chinook were striking the back of the Flasher and he has the bite marks to prove it. That may explain why he had 2 belly hooked 25 pounders on that trip. Right on the wall in August.

I have a friend over there who had some big strikes but no hook ups and he noticed the Chinook were striking the back of the Flasher and he has the bite marks to prove it. That may explain why he had 2 belly hooked 25 pounders on that trip. Right on the wall in August.

Yep. Had teeth marks on certain flashers lots of times. Whether they were made by Chinook or not I don't know.

From posts gone by in the past it seems that not all 11 inch flashers are created equal in terms of revolutions per minute etc.

So the flasher itself could affect leader length.

I personally like Hotspot flashers for their consistent steady roll.

Some of the cheapo bargain bin flashers rolled way too fast and the leader length had to be changed to adjust to that.

Back in my commie days fishing pinks or sockeye we used 6' leaders and 18" tails on the red gear, 15-20 flashers per ball. If you were paying attention to the wire line you could see it was bowed way out a mark or two down, signalling a big spring on the line. If you weren't paying attention when you grabbed the release snap as it came up out of the water you got a hell of a surprise!
T2

I would say 36" to 38" is a good place to start. Line test does come into play. You will have to experiment for springs for sure.;) eman

Back