Hoochie leader lenghths

oguard

I was just wondering what lenghts you guys run on your hoochies for springs. I run 22" and have had success.Thanks in advance.

Mike

i was running a 28 inch with limited success.Guys were outfishing me with 40-44inch. I switched and went longer and noticed an improvement.
Ps pick up the speed a bit wiht longer leaders.

Thanks Kelly I do troll quite fast 3.1-3.3 mph.I think I will start playing with leader lentgths.

Mike

I have been using 36 to 40 inch leads trolling slow 1.5 to 2.0 knots (relative to water not land) for Springs with good sucess.

22" leader trolling 3+ knots...I would have to think a big, lazy and weary chinook may have a problem with that!!

36" - 42" is standard.

...really depends! I slay chinook in Alberni with a 24 to 28 inch 40lbs leader, pulling a tiny 1 1/2 inch hot pink spoon bind a hot spot 690 or oki jellyfish flasher. In Nanaimo I use a 36 to 42 inch and in French creek I use 44 and in Qualicum I use the same as I do in Port Alberni. Speed varies between 2 and 3 mph.

RVP. ;)

I use my GPS to govern speed but watch my rod tips to see what the currents are doing and calculate the 2. Generally slower speeds means shorter leaders ie 28" to 32" for 1.8 to2.2 mph and 40"-44" for 2.5 to 3 mph

Thanks for the responses guys.It makes sense why we could'nt keep the coho off.I will try the longer leaders and let you now.

Mike

Back