Hoochie colors

S

sandybar

This is my first post here on SportfishingBC and have been trolling for awhile now. So here goes.

I'm going to Alderbay the last part of July and first part of August. I would like to know your top 3 favorite colors or colours for Hootchie skirts. I'm not looking for your favorite spot or honey hole. Fishing with hootchies is new to me and since there are about a bizzillon colors out there I have no idea where to start.

Anybody willing to give me your three favorites colors?

Thanks

I think start basic I have had good success with a white hoothie behind a green flasher, also black has worked well when trolling shallow.

Green,red and white are the best sellers I think. I've had good luck with pink/red for sockeye.

Get an "Army Truck" (Black, dark olive green, red, white), "Alligator" (green/white), "Glow" (glow in the dark), "Purple Haze" (UV reflective), and a standard "White" one and you should be good to go. Throw in a few pink squirts varying in shade from cerise to bubblegum pink and these are all the hootchies you'll need to start with.

Leader lengths are critical and depend on trolling speed and species targeted. You can expect anywhere from 24" for pinks and sockeye to 48" inches for chinooks. My fav hootchy leader length is 38"

Good Luck

Size always matters. ;) doubletake has some good choices for patterns. I might suggest Radiants Tiger Prawn Glows. They come in regular as well as magnums, which are about 6 inches long. I like the magnums when larger fish are about, but many a regular 4 incher has claimed many Tyee class salmon. The smaller squirt type are generally used for sockeyes chums and pinks, but have also claimed many a trophy spring or coho. Local knowledge will be your best hope for success and fortunately you have a wealth of it at your fingertips. Good Luck and Tight Lines. eman

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

Size always matters. ;) doubletake has some good choices for patterns. I might suggest Radiants Tiger Prawn Glows. They come in regular as well as magnums, which are about 6 inches long. I like the magnums when larger fish are about, but many a regular 4 incher has claimed many Tyee class salmon. The smaller squirt type are generally used for sockeyes chums and pinks, but have also claimed many a trophy spring or coho. Local knowledge will be your best hope for success and fortunately you have a wealth of it at your fingertips. Good Luck and Tight Lines. eman

Those are all good tips. Better yet, if you really want to know what colours work, find out what feed is in the area. There's a few old commercial salts that will and can outfish the best of us just by hootchies!!! The science of colour selection! If they didn't work..they wouldn't make 'em!

Army Truck and White is always a good one's to have and I always use 50# test line it gives them a good whip.As for length 2-3 flasher lenght.

My favorites are octopus size for summer fishing either Purple Haze, Army Truck/Army Truck Haze and a Chartruse/lime glow. Green flashers or UV haze flashers around 40-48 inch leader length.

Back