High Tech Jigging

finally success-bought a proper jigging rod-put all the tips together from Waterwolf and Original riptide and got into numerous small springs and then 2 -15 lbs What a thrill because these weren't random-they were targeted fish-bait was sporadic at Sentry but took a bit to find it but there were big ones there. So thanks guys for all the help-the quest continues to be a good consistent Jigger.
What setup did you end up getting? It seems like a lot of them can easily run 500-1000$ or more!

Jeez-I hope my wife isn't reading this-I don't think she's a member Got a shimano Grappler 6 6" with a torium 14 (to come later-no stock) using a charterhouse special for now.
Where did you find the rod? I’m assuming it’s the type J seeing that it’s 6’6”. Was it local or online.

Thanks in advance
Oly

finally success-bought a proper jigging rod-put all the tips together from Waterwolf and Original riptide and got into numerous small springs and then 2 -15 lbs What a thrill because these weren't random-they were targeted fish-bait was sporadic at Sentry but took a bit to find it but there were big ones there. So thanks guys for all the help-the quest continues to be a good consistent Jigger.

Awesome news. Having a proper jigging rod is so crucial. When the fish are in a feeding frenzy it's easy to catch them. When it's slower a proper rid allows you to jig properly. Also not to mention the feeling of catching a salmon on a rod that's the size of a trout rod.

Last night I was jigging with @Waterwolf2230 and had a crazy night. Lost track of how many fish we caught. Even got into a beautiful Tyee.

Awesome news. Having a proper jigging rod is so crucial. When the fish are in a feeding frenzy it's easy to catch them. When it's slower a proper rid allows you to jig properly. Also not to mention the feeling of catching a salmon on a rod that's the size of a trout rod.

Last night I was jigging with @Waterwolf2230 and had a crazy night. Lost track of how many fish we caught. Even got into a beautiful Tyee.

did you end up going to rupert or hida this year?

No leader. 25' of 25# maxima uni knotted to 30 lb braid. Loop knot to lure if no swivel. Make sure the wire loop on the lure is smooth and clear of any paint or else it will eventually wear the line.

I followed the OP specifications: 50 lb fluorocarbon leader tied directly to jig. The stiff fluorocarbon pushes the jig away from the main line to minimise tangle ups. The free fall jigs need to drop fast as the name says, without that stiff leader you'll get some tangles for sure. Also the fluoro is tough and will handle some nicks from teeth and bottom structure.

Leader length of 36-40" works for me and the 6'6 Trevala. Longer leader makes it tricky if you need to cast.

Last edited:
did you end up going to rupert or hida this year?

Went to Rupert. It was a good trip. The Coho were not as plentiful as other years but still around. Did well on bottom fish. I never kept any salmon on the trip because I knew I was going to CR.

Salmon jigging has been epic this year. Yesterday at noon ish I found bait north end of Montgomery and landed 7 salmon in just over an hour with my son. Caught a couple big overs. (All fish released in the water except for 2). I see @spring fever
Out there and lent him one of my jigs. Hopefully he nailed a few

Can one jig for coho as well and what about pinks in the open not near shore?
Yes you can. Often when we have been anchored for halibut and notice jumpers we will get out the jigging rod for some action while waiting. But as sly_karma said you need to either find bait or see fish because theres a lot of water out there if you just pick a spot and start jigging

I was trolling yesterday afternoon on the shoal that is on the Denman island side of Ajax Bank. We were hitting and hooking lots of undersize springs and releasing them, the tide was pulling pretty hard. We rounded the nose of the shoal on the east end and a huge bait ball showed up at 250 ft on my HDS 12 just as I was checking my line, I thought what a great time to try jigging, you could even see the fish all around the bait ball. I pulled my lines but couldn’t seem find the bait ball again in the tide but thought what a missed opportunity to try to drop a Mac deep down to that bait ball. Maybe next time when it’s closer to slack tide.

out tonite at the green can. good bit of action closer to the fingers. all us trollers could do was watch in despair as the jiggers were clobbering springs HARD. im becoming a believer. i have a level wind spooked up with braid but i do t really have a great rod is the problem: i’m gonna try and make something work. dammit i have to

out tonite at the green can. good bit of action closer to the fingers. all us trollers could do was watch in despair as the jiggers were clobbering springs HARD. im becoming a believer. i have a level wind spooked up with braid but i do t really have a great rod is the problem: i’m gonna try and make something work. dammit i have to
My daughter and I have been studying all the you tube on slow jigging-got the jigs' and were ready-headed to Sentry- hit a good bait ball did exactly as seen on Gale Force-you tube(good looking girls to boot) and we were instantly both hooked up-me of course a big rockfish and a releasable salmon for her-found it again-she hooked up-slot size which we kept. Figured it was game on--but not so fast--no bait-gone couldn't find it--so maybe don't put away your trolling rods yet--I'm sold on it as long as you find bait. So where are the fingers in relation to the green can--if you wouldn't mind???

Was anchored up in Brooks Bay, trying for some lings or hali last week.
Swarms of black bass attacking our gear.
Pulled out the salmon jigging outfit and had a blast catching these crazy fish.
Barbless hook, so no injured fish. One popped off right at the surface, jumped out of the water to have another try at the jig.
I was practicing because it is just a different reaction, when the line goes slack, fish on!

Such a thrill feeling the hit on the drop. Instant adrenaline. Very addictive.

Did just three jig drops while on the hook for hali recently with a white glow Shimano 160 g. Hooked up within 30 sec every time, just rockfish no hali. Switched to shallow jigging because of small fish tangling the heavy gear. No coho or bait fish around up high though. Can be a great pastime while waiting for hali to show up if there are salmon around.

Such a thrill feeling the hit on the drop. Instant adrenaline. Very addictive.

Did just three jig drops while on the hook for hali recently with a white glow Shimano 160 g. Hooked up within 30 sec every time, just rockfish no hali. Switched to shallow jigging because of small fish tangling the heavy gear. No coho or bait fish around up high though. Can be a great pastime while waiting for hali to show up if there are salmon around.
Absolutely! That reminds me of 2 yrs ago when my son was bored while anchored for Halibut. I gave him a 200gr shimano butterfly jig to play with. With in a minute of hitting bottom he hooks into a 35lb Halibut...

Back