Hewescraft 220 Ocean Pro motor size?

Friends soft top used to have a honda 130 on it. Not the fastest, but adequate of you were not in a hurry. Topped out around 25 knotts.... 2x115s and go tuna hunting.

Anybody got any input on motor size for this boat?
My friend had the same boat a few years ago. His was powered with a 225 hp. Mercury Optimax which was good for the boat. We had 5 people in the boat at times and were also out in some nasty seas (Winter Harbour a few years ago), in these circumstances I wouldn't have wouldn't have wanted much less power.
...Rob

There's a 22op guide boat in ukee with a 200 Yam. He does fine and fishes 5 guys on occasion. Don't go any lighter than that. That is a 2006 hull and I know the design has seen some updates so I'd suspect it has become slightly more robust.
If its an older hull and you go with the 200 which I'd say is the minimum ponies I'd go merc over yam or zuk as the merc is a 3.4l vs 2.7 (approx). Displacement matters and the smaller blocks are juiced 150s.
I'd go with a 250 of your choice if it's a new hull. Whichever brand you have good local support for would be my preference. Yam, merc, zuk all make good 250s.

There's a 22op guide boat in ukee with a 200 Yam. He does fine and fishes 5 guys on occasion. Don't go any lighter than that. That is a 2006 hull and I know the design has seen some updates so I'd suspect it has become slightly more robust.
If its an older hull and you go with the 200 which I'd say is the minimum ponies I'd go merc over yam or zuk as the merc is a 3.4l vs 2.7 (approx). Displacement matters and the smaller blocks are juiced 150s.
I'd go with a 250 of your choice if it's a new hull. Whichever brand you have good local support for would be my preference. Yam, merc, zuk all make good 250s.
Thanks for all the input guys, it’s brand new boat so will go with a 250 yammy which was kind of what I originally thought would be good

They usually put twin 115s onto the 24 foot boats. 200 to 250 is what you want.

Back