Herring sale to help kids with cancer

Cuba Libre

November 24, 2011

First Annual
FISHERMEN HELPING KIDS with CANCER
HERRING SALE
Saturday, December 3rd and Sunday, December 4th

Richmond, BC: BC�s commercial fishing community is proud to announce their first annual charity herring sale that will take place on Saturday, December 3rd and Sunday, December 4th between 7am and 4 pm (or until sold out!) at the south end of Trites Road in Steveston, Richmond, BC (12740 Trites Road). This sale is open to the public with absolutely all proceeds being contributed to the BC Children�s Hospital Foundation to support children with cancer.

A group of friends within the local fishing community who have had several loved ones battle cancer, especially children, recently decided that they were determined and committed as a team to provide support for children suffering from cancer. Inspired by the ever popular charitable herring fishery that was a tradition in BC for over 50 years until 2007 and raised over $250,000 for orphaned children, the group set to work to organize a charitable herring sale this season.

FAST FACTS!

Date

Saturday, December 3rd

Sunday, December 4th

Time

7am � 4pm

Or until sold out!

South end of Trites Road in Steveston, Richmond, BC (12740 Trites Rd)

http://mapq.st/rLcGJM

Price

$10 for a 20lb bag

Or bring your own bucket.

Payment

Cash only please.

To Volunteer, E-mail

fhkwcvolunteer@gmail.com

Event Updates

Visit us on Facebook (Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer)

Event spokesperson and BC fisherman, Harvey Gifford says, �We started as a small group of fishing friends with a conviction to help kids with cancer and today are simply astounded by the overwhelming support that we have received from throughout the entire industry. All aspects of this event are being donated including the operation of the fishing vessel Prosperity and its fishing licence, fuel, fishing gear, ice, harbour facilities, unloading facilities and more. We are also grateful to all those who have come forward to volunteer their time to take on the many roles involved to put on the event from distributing posters around town to bagging the fish for sale. We are so proud to say that with such tremendous support, we can fully provide all proceeds from the herring sale to the BC Children�s Hospital Foundation.�

The Prosperity will harvest 60 tonnes of herring from the nearby waters of the Gulf of Georgia and deliver this wonderfully fresh and delicious fish to the dock for sale at $10 for a 20lb bag of herring. Or bring your own bucket! Cash only please.

Pacific herring are beautiful fin fish with bluish green colouration on their backs and shiny silver sides and bellies. They are on average 18 cm (7 inches) long and weigh on average 110 g (1/4 lb) each. Their soft, off-white flesh with high oil content offers a wonderful full flavour and lends itself perfectly to many preparations including pickling, smoking, canning and salting. Frank Pabst, Executive Chef at Vancouver�s award winning Blue Water Cafe, believes herring are a true discovery for the home cook. He is pleased to share two of his favourite herring recipes to provide inspiration: Cured Herring Tartare with Granny Smith Apple, Red Onions and Coriander (photo attached), and Grilled Herring with Fingerling Potatoes, Savoy Cabbage, Bacon and Caraway.

For those who wish to support the cause but aren�t able to purchase herring during the weekend, contributions can be make directly to the BC Children�s Hospital Foundation by following the link: https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPages/main.cfm?Event=ICE&Member=19160.
� 30 �

For event information: Released By/Media Contact:
Leslie Budden Sandra Merk, Insight Productions
Phone: 604.328.7835 Phone: 604.535.9828
E-mail: fhkwcinfo@gmail.com E-mail: srmerk@shaw.ca

Good to see this happening again. It was always popular in New Westminster and as a firefighter for the city, we were asked to assist in hosing down the dock after the sales. Some of my best pickled herring came from this event. Hope the people of the LML support this great cause.

Big thanks to Cuba for posting this....Had a chance to swing by the herring sale today...Was great to see all the volunteers at stevenson harbour. Picked up a couple bags...probably about 30lbs a piece. If anyone has a chance to support this great event I suggest it.

Everyone was extremely friendly...all and all a great afternoon!

Thanks for the heads up CUBA!

No problem-- Just wish there was an event like this on the Island so we could contribute too.

This is an awesome event, it goes to a good cause. It's just too bad that it wasn't off the backs of the roe herring fishery in the spring, rather than the winter resident herring needed to feed the ecosystem during the winter. Good intentions and great to see the commercial industry working in a positive light. Just like Fish Friday's another awesome and well needed cause backed by commercial fisherman. This is why it is so important to have all sectors working together.

DHA.

god on harvie gifford to do this I know it must be tuff on him losing his wife a couple of months ago to cancer, its good to see all sectors of the commercial guys in on this as harvie was a troller ( not the kind that holmes always says )

Good Cause but sick way to raise money by exploiting the Oceans resources..

HUH????? Look in the mirror-- we are ALL exploiting the ocean in one way or another.

Good Cause but sick way to raise money by exploiting the Oceans resources...

A minor dent in the biomass.
Compare this to what is caught to provide fresh frozen bait for the sports fishermen.
Event replaces the old CKNW herring sale which ran for probably 50 years. Same time of year, a good cause, comparable prices, no wastage of product, herring are, or used to be, used primarily as food. Get out the pickling salt.

The point apparently missed by F4All is that the RESIDENT herring are nowhere near as abundant as the offshore stocks, and therefor DFO and industry is playing russian roulette with those stocks by deliberately turning the fleet on them at a time when everything possible should be done to protect them. The early timing of this fishery endangers who knows how many resident stocks that, not that many years ago, DFO questioned if they even existed!!

Personally, I think that the 20% exploitation rate for herring, in general, is too high. But when DFO Science cannot tell exactly how many resident stocks we have in BC, and what size they are (but they do know that they are extinct in many areas they used to live in) its stupid to extend the fishery as they will intercept the residents . In fact, industry will TARGET those stocks as they are superior "food" fish.

Cuba Libre who wrote this on the Conservation Thread??? I agree strongly on this funraiser for Kids with Cancer I just think there is better ways to raise money that is all Im definately not here to discuss this with someone that rides both sides of the fence. Why dont ya go down to the Gorge Bridge and try jigging up some herring this yr for your Halibut fishing and let me know how ya make out?

Im definately not here to discuss this with someone that rides both sides of the fence.

Awwww- gee. Now you have hurt my feelings!!!!! (sniff) But no worries, I will get over it! LOL

interesting comment form a guide who is exploiting the oceans resources for his own finacial gain, I think its a great way to raise fundes for a good cause, gonna zip over and pick some up

Popped over today

thanks to the Volunteers workin , all n all wet put together ,
they even wheel burrowed all of them to my truck !
Extremely fresh , most scales in tact
3 tables full , around 400 or so Out comes the sealer , time to recycle these to some bottom dwellers Jeff
best $ 20 dollars ive ever donated !

thx again C.L.
FD

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

FD.....bout 2 hours sealing up my fish today! $20 sure went a looong way on this one. I can concur the scales were in great shape...there will be some happy crab, hali, ling, and maybe a River's pig or two enjoying the fruits of this good cause.

Tough to compete with Commercial guys. I am a Sports Fisherman first and as long as u guys continue there won't be any left but hey you guys are right kill em all. That seems to be the general concencus here. Good luck w that. Definately going to a good cause though. I'm sure the Japenese market will enjoy there's also.

DNA ,

, these fish are very big , 7-8-9 inches ?? curiosity ? what's feeding on them right now ?? Commy's caught them at 7 am this morning very close ta home he said ??

never seen feeders withthese tanks in there bellies lol...

seriosly , anyone know ??

FD

This is an awesome event, it goes to a good cause. It's just too bad that it wasn't off the backs of the roe herring fishery in the spring, rather than the winter resident herring needed to feed the ecosystem during the winter. Good intentions and great to see the commercial industry working in a positive light. Just like Fish Friday's another awesome and well needed cause backed by commercial fisherman. This is why it is so important to have all sectors working together.

DHA.

Back