6th Annual Herring Sale: Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer

Has anyone seen the time and place of the Victoria sale?

Just click on the link and go to the home page and hit herring sale.

Date: November 30, 2019
Time: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Where: FAS Seafoods in downtown
Address: 27 Erie Street, Victoria

Just click on the link and go to the home page and hit herring sale.

Date: November 30, 2019
Time: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Where: FAS Seafoods in downtown
Address: 27 Erie Street, Victoria
Thanks Paulo

Great cause !
The only problem is the herring have no scales left on them.
actually I was surprised the last 2 years at the vancouver herring sale at how good a shape they were in for scales, lots of great quality bait, and the others go for pickled or grilled herring.

actually I was surprised the last 2 years at the vancouver herring sale at how good a shape they were in for scales, lots of great quality bait, and the others go for pickled or grilled herring.

Perfect. I was thinking of selecting the good ones for salmon bait (teaser heads and cutplug) and rest for prawn/crab bait. Portion them up into ziplocs and label when I get home, and freeze. Any tips? Anybody else do this?

the herring are quite large... could not use a lot of them for bait as they would not fit even the larger herring teaser heads. Tried cut plugging them but since they were much larger in size than what I typically use, it seems to blow them out quite quickly even when I brine them. Tried cutting smaller strips and used a teaser head designed for herring strips but the fish didn't care much for the herring strips as well as anchovy or the regular sized herrings on teaser heads. But it goes to a good cause and can still be used for crab/prawn bait.

I have never found lack of scales being any issue with affecting their ability to catch fish with. My father in law started me getting my bait from these sales (North Vancouver was the first one I went to) 25 years ago and have gotten them from these type sales or direct from commercial fishermen ever since, and every year. It's the scent and the salmon seeing regular bait they feed on that matters for getting them to bit. A flasher gets them attracted in the first place. If you want added attractant then add colored brine, glow/UV teaser heads, or flash tape etc.
I use these in all different sizes for salmon from the very smalls (not many in these sales though) right up to the jumbo's. I use them whole, in teasers, in strips, and cut plugs. They all work excellent. I catch the majority of salmon with these Herring and with Anchovy but more with these Herring. I still have some left from last season but will be stocking up again this season as I also get lot's for buddies as well. I use them for everything; salmon, Lings, Hali's, crab and prawn bait etc.
When I use the jumbo's for strips I keep all the heads/guts etc, freeze that, then crush/mix it all up and toss it in with prawn pellets for excellent bait for crab/prawns etc.
Also get my brother a bunch from these sales and he mixes it in with home made dog food to give his dogs some added nutrients they otherwise wouldn't be getting.

They keep very well vac packed and if you want you can cure them up before hand to make them keep even better vac packed.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/2019-herring-for-autism-sale.72848/

X2 as Chasin Dreams mentioned, painful but brine and vacuum pack as I found in the past they stand up real well for the following season. Have hit the Steveston event several times in the past years as my experience the non brined did not stand up overly well when thawed. Worth the effort in my opinion.Bring along a bucket to cart your stuff home, go early as the event is busy and as always it's a delight to talk with festive fisherman enjoying the spirit of the cause.

Just got an email from the folks who do the herring event... It's postponed until next Sat due to weather conditions.

Sale has been postponed until the 7th of dec /19 as per their website, I believe this means both the Mainland and Victoria

I always pick these up. The small ones work great whole and the larger ones I cut into strip. This summer, I used only strip (No Anchovies) and had no problem filling the freezer with springs. For $20, you get around 120 herring which sure beats the price of regular bait.

Back