Herring Sale Cancelled Again

High Time

Crew Member
Email just received
Dear Friends of the Herring and Hake Sale:
After two nights of fishing the score is: Sea Lions 2 and Fishermen 0. Lots of herring but too many sea lions and a narrow window to fish.

CANCELLED. The herring and hake sale set for Saturday, December 7th is CANCELLED.

There may be a sale in January, but it is too early to tell.

The good news is that the herring you bought in years past helped us to save enough money for a bad year - the programs we fund for kids with cancer at BC Children's Hospital will not be affected.
Thanks for helping kids with cancer,

The Crew at Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer

2019 HERRING AND HAKE SALE QUICK FACTS CANCELLED
Date: Saturday, December 7, 201 CANCELLED
Richmond Location: CANCELLED
Maple Ridge Location:CANCELLED
Victoria Location: CANCELLED

I received the email from them when the original date was cancelled but have not received an email this time around. Checked their website and there is no indication on that site that tomorrow's event is cancelled. I hope they can update the website and send out the emails(I am on their email list but did not receive the recent update). Would be a shame if lots of people were not informed and showed up tomorrow.

Just checked and their facebook page seems like the only place where they indicate that it has been cancelled. If I wasn't browsing the sportfishingbc.com forum yesterday or today, I wouldn't have known and would have shown up tomorrow.

Last edited:
I just came back from the fish market down by fishermans wharf and I talked to a person that worked there and said that there were hundreds of sea lions breaking through the nets going after the herring and wrecking the nets.
What a shame!

I just came back from the fish market down by fishermans wharf and I talked to a person that worked there and said that there were hundreds of sea lions breaking through the nets going after the herring and wrecking the nets.
What a shame!

That is really a shame. But hay, no Pinniped problem right. Just ask the ENGO's.

What a shame!

190702-F-GL802-1188.JPG

I saw the footage on the news a week or so ago. Just a mass of seething giant brown maggots in the net. Absolutely impossible to try and fish under those conditions. Hard to imagine any herring sales in the future going up against the brown menace.

I saw the footage on the news a week or so ago. Just a mass of seething giant brown maggots in the net. Absolutely impossible to try and fish under those conditions. Hard to imagine any herring sales in the future going up against the brown menace.

Where are all these Sea Lions coming from. They were not much of a problem 10 years ago.
I have heard it said they are California Sea Lions.
If so they should be treated as an invasive species and eradicated.

I can't make it on that date but will ask my buddy to grab some for me. Are the bags the same size as the charity event for kids with cancer? Will help me figure how many bags to ask my buddy to get for me.

There is another charity Herring Sale happening in Steveston in January.
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/herring-sale-in-steveston-january-11.78291/

I went to this sale the last two years and its been great - in and out within 10 minutes. Proceeds are for an autism charity.

Back