Herring Petition

I should have noted that I'm just looking for info and not for an argument of any type. I support both commercial and sport fishing.

The fishery going on now is for roe in the Georgia strait. The eggs are taken from the females, the rest of the fish and 100% of the males go to reduction to make meal for pet, livestock or fish food. The fishery is "sustainable" in that it harvests about 20% of the biomass which is currently maintaining the depressed population at a steady level. If the population begins to grow they increase the catch. If it starts to shrink they will still take it and it will go the way of the fishery everywhere else in the province, they will become commercially extinct. The herring roe is not a coveted delicacy as it once was in Japan due to oversupply so the fishery is not terribly valuable, its controlled primarily by corporate interests (Pattison) so most of the benefit goes to his companies.

Ironic Wilkinson says decisions are made on science when so many he has made in regards to SRKW aren't based on science but more public perception etc.
I was laughing when he said this quote
Quite the opposite with regards to the Scenario A/B policy
Simply reallocation of s stock to a single user group ignoring science /data all together.

The fishery going on now is for roe in the Georgia strait. The eggs are taken from the females, the rest of the fish and 100% of the males go to reduction to make meal for pet, livestock or fish food. The fishery is "sustainable" in that it harvests about 20% of the biomass which is currently maintaining the depressed population at a steady level. If the population begins to grow they increase the catch. If it starts to shrink they will still take it and it will go the way of the fishery everywhere else in the province, they will become commercially extinct. The herring roe is not a coveted delicacy as it once was in Japan due to oversupply so the fishery is not terribly valuable, its controlled primarily by corporate interests (Pattison) so most of the benefit goes to his companies.

Seriously??????
If the stock declines the quota declines. Our vessel alone running 3 skiffs put in a gross of just under $1,000,000 in 5 days last year. Speaking with a buyer yesterday they estimate $70-80million of “first dollars” brought into local communities from the harvest. A portion of the herring is shipped to Vietnam for processing where the eggs are extracted and sold to japan and the males are used as food. The quota is set at 20% of the spawning biomass and there are many years(like last) that we don’t harvest the entire quota. I believe we were around 8% last year. That all depends on quality. The 95,000 tons on the DFO website only includes the west side of the gulf from Comox to yellowpoint. There are no proper estimates for other areas of the gulf.

Last edited:
Seriously??????
If the stock declines the quota declines. Our vessel alone running 3 skiffs put in a gross of just under $1,000,000 in 5 days last year. Speaking with a buyer yesterday they estimate $70-80million of “first dollars” brought into local communities from the harvest. A significant portion of the herring is shipped to Vietnam for processing where the eggs are extracted and sold to japan and the males are used as food. The quota is set at 20% of the spawning biomass and there are many years(like last) that we don’t harvest the entire quota. I believe we were around 8% last year. That all depends on quality. The 95,000 tons on the DFO website only includes the west side of the gulf from Comox to yellowpoint. There are no proper estimates for other areas of the gulf.

That money went to local communities or mainly to quota holders?

Did you guys leave 12% to help the stocks or did prices and fish conditions not justify fishing the rest?

What is the current seine price per ton?

For us as an independent family run business with 4-5 crew depending on fishery. 40% roughly to company to pay our processing, trucking, plant labour, sales and any other costs associated with getting the fish from grounds to plant. We don’t lease many licences but it was roughly $200/ton lease on the few plates we rented.
The plates we have bought over time have no lease so the crew realizes most of the benefit. On our vessel 50% goes to crew after expenses the other 1/2 to boat and gear.

Last year the quality in the seine tests were not great so they left a good chunk in the water, by choice. This year they have good quality in the seine so they took their allocation. The prices are not fully set until the product is fully processed and sold, usually in late July.

Gillnets are presently waiting for the spawn. With no guarantee we will take it all.

Last edited:
Excellent point. The engo keyboard warriors are attacking all resource based industries on the coast. Too many sheep with misinformation that would throw hardworking people and the communities they support under the bus over how they “feel” as opposed to facts.
There are two other areas on the coast that have an abundance of herring and are being kept closed for political reasons.
100% agree!! The ENGO's are waging a war against all fisheries and we are silently sitting back allowing it to happen. Time for all of us to start showing up at all their events and challenging their so called science. Let their supporters know that much of their messages are full of mis-information or twisted truths. These ENGO's are out to close down fisheries, with little regard as to the social and economic impacts. Let's stop allowing them to kick the dog, with little concern the dog might bite back. Go onto their social media sites and let them and their followers know the truth....attend their events and have a say. While not all ENGO's wish us harm, there is a core group taking direct aim....go and see for yourself.

Here's a list of Organizations signed on and supporting efforts to end your fishery:

Our structure
Nine organizations are represented on a Steering Committee that coordinates the MCC (includes calling meetings, budget, contribution agreement, reviewing of committee structure and participation, and other consultation issues).

Present MCC Steering Committee:

And then we wait for the NGOs to post "say no to sport fishing for salmon to save the whales" ????
Wait no more! We are firmly in the cross hairs, and this is a message they repeat with religious fervour in every meeting and in private meetings with DFO. Make now mistake about it - they are actively working with paid staff to close down all our fisheries....look below

53573004_2174876855930259_7159585421574275072_n.jpg

100% agree!! The ENGO's are waging a war against all fisheries and we are silently sitting back allowing it to happen. Time for all of us to start showing up at all their events and challenging their so called science. Let their supporters know that much of their messages are full of mis-information or twisted truths. These ENGO's are out to close down fisheries, with little regard as to the social and economic impacts. Let's stop allowing them to kick the dog, with little concern the dog might bite back. Go onto their social media sites and let them and their followers know the truth....attend their events and have a say. While not all ENGO's wish us harm, there is a core group taking direct aim....go and see for yourself.

Here's a list of Organizations signed on and supporting efforts to end your fishery:

Our structure
Nine organizations are represented on a Steering Committee that coordinates the MCC (includes calling meetings, budget, contribution agreement, reviewing of committee structure and participation, and other consultation issues).

Present MCC Steering Committee:

Here is a handy page that shows a map and has links to the groups that Searun whats us to throw under the bus.
http://www.pskf.ca/program/member02.html

Here is a handy page that shows a map and has links to the groups that Searun whats us to throw under the bus.
http://www.pskf.ca/program/member02.html
Well, they should pull their support for MCC. I guess they never listen to the MCC's messages about closing recreational fishing. SSBC is on the same page in my view...they probably aren't taking a close look into what exactly the MCC and some of the hard core ENGO supporters who are pressing to close our fishery. Time for them to do some homework and send a strong message. I have a difficult time supporting organizations that are supporting the destruction of my public fishery.

Anyone remember in the 1960/70s fishing in the Georgia Strait/Salish sea, seeing the hundreds of herring balls around everywhere and the salmon followed them. Great times! Now they call the Salish Sea the "dead sea". Herrings are the lifeblood of the ocean and the commercial fleet will not be satisfied until they have wiped them out completely. We must act to save our oceans. So fed up with commercial greed!!

'Overfishing is depleting oceans across the globe, with 90 percent of the world’s fisheries fully exploited or facing collapse, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.'

Super natural British Columbia ... gotta be kidding. "The once abundant" starts most all news about any BC resource these days be it fish, forests ... wildlife. Industrial harvest, money driven is "money" ... the biggest, baddest drug out there... does not play well with others ... does not like restraint because "if I don't take it" the others will. Industrial scale planetary wrecking ball and BC has been hammered. What to do? End lobbying and stop the slaughter. The plundering ain't me and my fishing rod.

/
Wait no more! We are firmly in the cross hairs, and this is a message they repeat with religious fervour in every meeting and in private meetings with DFO. Make now mistake about it - they are actively working with paid staff to close down all our fisheries....look below

53573004_2174876855930259_7159585421574275072_n.jpg
Ok we have a heads up here
Let's organize a protest to shutting down the fisheries.
We will need someone that is well spoken and knowledgeable about the state
of the fish stocks to be the lead spokes person, or better yet two or three. Who should they be?
We will need lots of people to come and hold placards and chant slogans.
We need several people who will loose their jobs and or businesses due to closures, Any volunteers?
I will be there,
Who is coming?

If you want sport fishing shut down - GO FOR IT!

Same. I am not against possibly looking at moving to gillnets, as I agree the seine fishery makes no sense to me. Any move we make on this has to be done with proper data which I still haven't seen. I don't think we all have spent enough time on this either ( everyone's busy!).

Got to be careful on this one. I wouldn't want our sector to work in getting the commercial sector shut down with the same NGO's that are trying to shut us down. Also could be disastrous with what is going on with FN and commercials.

Kind of slippery slope. You aren't wrong for questioning fishery though.

Last edited:
So we should just sit by and do nothing while our rights are taken away? The time to fight back is now and we need the general public on our side. They will all take the save the whales side if we do not provide another view. Quiet negotiations and letter writing does not seem to be doing the job. It's time to fight back

Back