Herring Petition

I was more illiterating that these petitions can just as easily be used against sports fishermen we are currently harvesting some chinook biomasses that are in much worse shape then the SOG herring population.

By all means if your goal is to shut down all fishing then sign these petitions because that is what will happen.

For the record I’m not a fan of the herring roe fishery, having a healthy herring population is a great insurance policy.

I get annoyed tho reading all the finger pointing done by sports fishermen. Don’t be surprised when things get shut down and all the fingers come pointing back at sports fishing.

How about we just make the SOG a big MPA and close down all fishing wouldn't that be the best solution to protection the marine environment? Protect the glass reefs, the chinook, herring, SRKW them all

I was more illiterating that these petitions can just as easily be used against sports fishermen we are currently harvesting some chinook biomasses that are in much worse shape then the SOG herring population.

By all means if your goal is to shut down all fishing then sign these petitions because that is what will happen.

For the record I’m not a fan of the herring roe fishery, having a healthy herring population is a great insurance policy.

I get annoyed tho reading all the finger pointing done by sports fishermen. Don’t be surprised when things get shut down and all the fingers come pointing back at sports fishing.

It’s 2019, petitions and public pressure are the only thing that seem to motivate governing bodies like DFO to do their jobs. It’s a sad reality. Sportfishing is already in the spotlight, look at the massive restrictions in place and upcoming closures.

How can arguably the most damaging fishery on the coast have their quota in the SOG untouched while every other industry is forced into restrictions from a struggling ecosystem. Can DFO not see even a slight connection in the food chain?

Last edited:
"Within a few short decades, industrial fishing has expanded from the traditional fishing grounds of the Northern Hemisphere to include all the world’s oceans and seas. Many stocks have been overexploited and are depleted. But the situation is not without hope. Some countries have shown that fish stocks can in fact recover when sustainable fisheries management systems are implemented." https://worldoceanreview.com/en/wor-2/fisheries/state-of-fisheries-worldwide

Dropped into an abandoned cannery on the north coast last year. The historian said fishery was so vast exceeding canning process and just dumped tons of fish in the bush. There were over 30 canneries on the north coast in the early to mid 1900's. Abundance was an assumption. We may see salmon extinction in our lifetime. Herring abundance is a myth relative to the historical abundance. I signed and donated to this petition.

Herring abundance needs to be protected. We should also protect sardines, anchovies and krill. The worldwide krill harvest is 200,000 metric tons. How can our oceans supply the worlds land base operations of hatcheries, fish farms and pet food? Salmon are not the only fish in trouble. Watch what happens to rockfish when this fishery gets more pressure because of declining salmon runs. These slow growing fish will take a lifetime to recover if we start over fishing them.

DFO has once again approved a 20% commercial harvest of Pacific herring in the last remaining viable spawn area on the BC coast - the Strait of Georgia. All the others have been closed due to overfishing.

As I'm sure you already know, herring spawn on the beaches between Comox and Parksville each spring, bringing an incredible diversity of marine life to our region. The salmon, halibut, humpback whales, and other marine mammals that rely on herring are a cornerstone of our incredible marine tourism economy.

We are calling for the commercial fishery on herring to be suspended, because we believe it jeopardizes our Salish Sea ecosystem.

A growing number of people support this cause, including 60,000+ people who have signed the our online petition! Please sign and share the petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/mp-jonatha...-canada-say-no-to-pacific-herring-roe-fishery

Here is an article about our campaign:
https://www.straight.com/news/12021...ancellation-pacific-herring-roe-fishery-march

Many thanks for your support!

Cath Gray
Conservancy Hornby Island

It's been about 20 years since I've seen the boiling bait balls around the gulf islands. We used to fish out of a row boat without a fish finder or downriggers. Just walk to the shore and look for the diving seagulls, row out to the bait ball and cast buzz bombs ahead of the surfacing salmon. Acres and acres of herring boiling on the surface with the streak of salmon fins slicing the surface. Those were great times.

If you think the herring stocks are doing fine in the strait, unfortunately you must have missed out on the 80's and early 90's fishing here. I can only imagine what it must have been like in decades prior.

It's been about 20 years since I've seen the boiling bait balls around the gulf islands. We used to fish out of a row boat without a fish finder or downriggers. Just walk to the shore and look for the diving seagulls, row out to the bait ball and cast buzz bombs ahead of the surfacing salmon. Acres and acres of herring boiling on the surface with the streak of salmon fins slicing the surface. Those were great times.

If you think the herring stocks are doing fine in the strait, unfortunately you must have missed out on the 80's and early 90's fishing here. I can only imagine what it must have been like in decades prior.

What was the seal population during these glory years you speak of?

And that is why I posted this comment:
"And then we wait for the NGOs to post "say no to sport fishing for salmon to save the whales" ????"

While not all commercial guys will agree, I have heard from Jimmy's group and several other smaller commercial operators that they aren't all that keen on continuing with the herring fishery as the money just isn't there anymore. Given this apparent disinterest coupled with the many solid arguments from @kelly and others above with respect to sustaining healthy populations of herring I really do hope they close the roe fishery down coastwide ASAP.

And, yes, as a rec fisherman myself am I happy (as many are) to look critically at what my fishing impacts are on certain populations of salmon, etc and adjust accordingly if/when supported by solid evidence or when a cautious approach is needed for certain stocks of concern.

I will also concede that sadly political decisions seem to drive much of the policy as it relates to fisheries decisions and I think this will continue to be the case. This is why attending meetings, petitions, emailing MP's, etc are all important.

Last point that has been mentioned but I think is one of the most important: Overall Herring Biomass does NOT = Overall health of Herring populations. That's like saying "hey, there were 30 million pinks that returned this year so that must mean Pacific Salmon are doing great!"

I guess sea Shepard got tired of chasing around fish farmers, now they are on to seiners whats next sports fishermen??

While I don't think Sea Shepherd getting involved is necessarily a good thing, getting rid of this wasteful, harmful fishery that has decimated our once abundant herring along the entire coast is very important. We always ask what are short term actions that can be taken to help the ecosystem, eliminating this fishery is one that can begin to help immediately.

Last edited:
Fishery Notice
Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Test Fishery
COMMERCIAL - Herring: Spawn on Kelp
Subject:
FN0206-COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Strait of Georgia - Update March 11, 2019

ROE HERRING INFORMATION BULLETIN: 19

DATE: March 11, 2019

AREA 14
Shelter Pt to Cape Lazo-------Mar 8: 5,000 tons
E.C. Denman Island------------Mar 10: 10,000 tons
TEST: Mar 10; 1 mile E of Sandy Island; 3,500 tons in area; 9.5%; 18.2cm;
59m:71f; 54-10-7-1-1; (17.6gm:75.4gm)
TEST: Mar 9; Horseshoe; 1,000 tons in area; 5.4%; 17.5cm; 73m:66f; 36-7-23-1-3;
(15gm:69.9gm)
Lambert Ch. to Chrome Is------Mar 10: Small schools; Mar 11: assessing
E.C. Hornby Is----------------Mar 10: Small schools at Collishaw Pt.
Tribune Bay/Lower Hornby------Mar 9: Small schools
Upper Baynes Sd---------------Mar 10: NFF; assessing
Lower Baynes Sd---------------Mar 10: 300 tons; Mar 11: assessing
Mapleguard to Nile Cr---------Mar 10: 4,000 tons
Nile Creek to French Cr-------Mar 11: 35,000 tons; assessing
TEST: Mar 11; 0.5 miles W of Qualicum Beach; 5,000 tons in area; 10.3%; 19.8cm;
56m:52f; 46-5-1-1-0; (22.3gm:91.9gm)
TEST: Mar 10; Qualicum Beach; 6,000tons in area; 7.7%; 18.6cm; 53m:57f; 41-4-12-
8-11; (18.5gm:77.5gm)
French Cr to NW Bay----------Mar 10: 10,000 tons; Mar 11: assessing
TEST: Mar 9: 7 Cables SE of Brant Point; 9,000 tons in area; 10.9%; 19.8cm
39m:52f; 37-1-1-1-0; (29.7gm:108.5gm)

Total 14: 90,000 tons (peak estimate), assessment incomplete

AREA 17 NORTH
Dorcas Pt/Schooner Cove-------Mar 7: No fish found
Inner Nanoose-----------------not assessed
Outer Nanoose-----------------Mar 7: 750 tons
Blunden to Neck Point---------Mar 7: 4,500 tons
Neck Pt to Dodd Narrows-------Mar 6: NFF, Nanaimo to Neck Pt.
TOTAL AREA 17N: 5,200 tons (peak estimate), assessment incomplete

AREA 17 SOUTH-----------------Not assessed

Total Area 17: 5,200 tons (peak estimate), assessment incomplete

TOTAL STRAIT OF GEORGIA: 95,000 tons (peak estimate), assessment incomplete.

The Strait of Georgia roe herring seine fishery opened on Saturday, March 9 in
NW Bay. There is an estimated catch of 3,800 tons to date, of the 8,311 ton roe
herring seine TAC. Fish stocks have moved around and fishing activities have
stopped while areas are re-assessed. The test program has resumed with Denman
Isle and Western King assessing.

Yesterday and this morning's assessments along the Vancouver Island coastline
and around Denman and Hornby Islands have found large bodies of fish from NW
Bay to Parksville, Columbia Beach to Nile Creek, and East of Denman/North of
Hornby Islands. There were 2 test sets last night and this morning: Denman Isle
test set last night east of Denman Island had 9.5% roe and 18.2cm fish; Western
King test set this morning at Qualicum Beach had 10.3% roe and 19.8cm fish.
Assessments efforts today will focus on the areas with large bodies of fish and
Baynes Sound. Strong southeast winds today are expected to hamper assessment
efforts.

A spawn flight departed at 9:00 this morning from Nanaimo. Spawn observed from
north of Parksville Bay to French Creek marina, less intense than previous day.
No other spawn observed on flight. Congregations of sea lions and birds from NW
Bay to French Creek, Columbia Beach to Qualicum Bay, Scallop farm to Deep Bay,
and East Coast of Denman Island along Fillongley Park.

Next flight is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Assessment and tonnage estimates are incomplete.

ROE TEST CODE:Date;Location;roe yield;fish size;males:females;#1-#2-#3-#spawned-
#juvenile;(roe weight gm:fish weight gm)

PUBLIC HEALTH AND AQUACULTURE:

Vessel Masters are reminded that there are numerous clam and oyster leases in
Baynes Sound. Disposal of human waste into waters near shellfish harvest areas
creates potentially serious health risks for shellfish consumers. The discharge
of untreated sewage into all Canadian inland waters and Canadian coastal waters
within 3 nautical miles of land is banned under the Canada Shipping Act.
Vessels participating in the herring fishery are required to abide by sewage
discharge regulations and are requested to minimize impact to aquaculture sites
by utilizing marinas, anchoring in existing sanitary closures and minimizing
congregations of vessels near shellfish aquaculture sites as much as possible.

NANAIMO HARBOUR NOTICE:

TO ALL CFVs participating in the HERRING FISHERY IN AND AROUND THE NANAIMO AREA
in FEBRUARY/MARCH 2019

Please be advised that the EAST SIDE of the Concrete pier (Visiting Vessel
Pier) is closed to all Transient Vessel Traffic. The east side is the outside
of the Pier, the side closet to Protection/ Newcastle Islands.

Under NO circumstances are ANY TRANSIENT vessels allowed to tie on that side.
This includes CFVs.

All CFVs are required to HAIL the Marina Office on VHF Channel 67 or call in by
phone at 250-754-5053 for moorage assignment

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Bryan Rusch (250) 618-4066

Or

Amber Neuman (250) 618-1022

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0206
Sent March 11, 2019 at 1323

Is there anyone on here that can give a good explanation of how this fishery is approved and backed by DFO science. Based on my own memories of herring abundance as a kid and what we see now, I have a really hard time believing that they are at a commercially viable level on the south coast.

I'd also be very interested to know what is happening with the herring. Is this a huge money maker for local communities? are we sending the roe overseas and the fish ends up as pet food, fish farm pellets? Does anyone 'in the know' have a decent idea.

I should have noted that I'm just looking for info and not for an argument of any type. I support both commercial and sport fishing.

Back