Help!! Where should I mount my downrigger.

J

jamaf

Hi guys

I just recently bought a used 19.5ft Bayliner classic cuddy. I am getting her all geared up for fishing. I have only one Scotty electric downrigger and I am now trying to figure out where to put it. I also have a Yamaha 9.9 kicker that I am mounting on the back port side. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should mount it and how. I have seen that Scotty has several differant mounts but I am not sure what I should go with. I would also like it on the port side so that I can keep an eye on it easier while driving.

Here are some pics to show you what I am dealing with.

Thanks

01010501160001030420080505b49706960.jpg

001.jpg

A friend has the same boat, he mounted his down riggers as far back as possible just using a standard scotty 4 bolt down rigger mount.

Your boat looks the same as mine.This is what I did:
Get the angle bracket and mount it portside aft,beside your cleat.The angle should come with a smaller mounting plate(with two knob end bolts for quick disconnect-slick!)go right through the pad.If you need to shim the mount as I did,go buy a cheap plastic cutting board and cut it the same size as the mount.
When you wire the plug, put it right on the transom just under the seat.That will keep the cord out of your way and your wiring as short as possible.
Whatever you choose, let us know how it went!
Good luck
Hooch

quote:Originally posted by Hoochiebob

....Get the angle bracket and mount it portside aft,beside your cleat.....
He means the 1025, it's the only one that will fit without some custom work.
1025.jpg

Mount2008006.jpg
[/img]
Mount2008004.jpg
[/img]
Mount2008003.jpg
[/img]
Mount2008001.jpg
[/img]
I hope these pics work????
I have exactly the same boat, and I mounted my Scotty Downrigger mounts on the stern. It works great. I got some of that plastic that cutting boards are made of made the same size as the mount and used it for a backing plate. This makes it very strong and hopefully no chance of pulling out. The plastic shop cuts it for you and it is not that expensive. This is just another idea. I hope that the pics worked for you to see.
See you on the water
Mikiki

I am sorry about the way my reply came out. I do not know what
I do wrong, but it sure screws up everything. Maybe the aministrator can fix it up.:(

All you have to do is edit the message so the URLs are under each other not posted one after the other.

Anyway the mount looks good makes more sense than the one I posted which would mean monkeying with the upholstery always a PITA.

Thanks Dogbreath, that seem to bring things back in line.
Mikiki

wow. thanks guys. 2 more days of work then I will be out on the water.

Back