Help Needed Shift Link Rod 90hp Yamaha

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Does the power have to be removed to replace this rod? Anyone actually done this? By the sounds of it I'll never get all the bolts out without them breaking so the head would have to go to a machine shop.

Seems that this was a very common problem with older Yamaha's. Does no one have any experience?

Seems the 6 bolts holding the head on is the big issue. I just don't understand why the head has to be removed. You'd think the shaft could be pulled thru the lower unit. But I guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if the powerhead has to come off on the 90. if it does there is no reason to break the bolts if you take it easy and use heat on the ones that are stuck. Lots of heat! Once you get them out, clean them up and put some marine grade never seize on them. Back them out one at a time every 2 years, reapply and tighten...u will never have the problem again.

Owen, I have a Yamaha outboard shop manual for 2-250 hp 2 stroke,1990-1995, that you
May borrow if you want. Just another thought, maybe your local library has one?
Anyways, can always drop it off if you want it. ......BB

I had a 1986 Yam 150 and the shift rod snapped on me. I replaced it myself and yes the powerhead had to come off. It's not as bad as it sounds, I just separated and tagged all the wiring and parts that were to stay on the powerhead, and used a come along attached to the ceiling rafters in my garage to lift it off. I took me a couple of days working after work each day. It was a few years ago and I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that it was not as hard as I thought it would be. If you're able to change your oil, replace a starter or even rotate your tires, you should be able to get this done with a good manual.

Leo

Oh yeah, I sprayed about half a can of WD-40 on the head bolts and took my time. The then mechanic at Parker in Nanaimo was amazed I got these out. So if you're gonna run into a problem, I suspect this is where it will be.

Leo

CIVANO, I bought 4 cans of Kano Kroil the stuff is great....

Anyhow guess it pays to baby your belongings... I gave up and had to see it the bolts would break or not taking the block off..... :) :) They came out with ease after 21 years of salt water. Ran the motors down to CV Marine and they pulled the block off and gave me the shift link rod.... Made some phone calls and found a used stainless one in CR.

New block gasket is on order and will be in hopefully be here in two days and then guys at CV Marine can torque my block back on.

Fingers Crossed....

Use some marine grade never seize to keep them easy to remove. You never know why you may have to remove them again.

Back