Heavy trailer endorsement

Coyote Spooner

2818C3DA-0F43-45B3-BD52-DAF8D2D7CE7F.jpeg
I just recently imported our new boat, from Washington. Got it towed up. I’m still working on the details. Getting it registered and insurance, etc..

I knew in advance that I would need an endorsement on my class 5 license to tow this. I know I would need a permit to tow, as it’s “”9’9” wide. It’s fairly easy and inexpensive to do. But, what I didn’t know is, You can’t bring an oversized load to your road test!!!! Local driving schools don’t offer a trailer or rig to use. Only tractor trailers.

How have you overcome this?
Thanks

I believe it's just a written test for the endorsement just chat with a icbc representative
Or if you have your class 3 or 1 it supercedes and you don't need the endorsement

I believe it's just a written test for the endorsement just chat with a icbc representative
Or if you have your class 3 or 1 it supercedes and you don't need the endorsement
It’s a class 3 written test and a road test with a 10000 lb+ trailer. So I’d have to get a class 1, to be able to use a driving school rig. Very expensive!!!

My first thoughts are:
1) Just show up at road test, with boat, and hope agent/tester, doesn’t realize the width of rig. A $50 gamble, as that is the test cost.
2) Rent a flat deck trailer and load something heavy on it. Was thinking concrete blocks

I went through a driving school in Vic to get my heavy trailer endorsement. They provided a truck with a weighted flatdeck. Drove around for an hour, he mentioned what the testers look for and then did my road test. Was pretty quick and easy.

A class 3 is sufficient. I have one for work and it covers me for my toy hauler. And you only need it if the trailer is over 10,400 lbs not combined. The stupid thing is you don’t need one to drive those class A rv busses you only need a air brake endorsement

A class 3 is sufficient. I have one for work and it covers me for my toy hauler. And you only need it if the trailer is over 10,400 lbs not combined. The stupid thing is you don’t need one to drive those class A rv busses you only need a air brake endorsement
I did the same as Kelly in Victoria, the driving school was very helpful, plus the school had a good reputation with the
driving examiner.

I went through a driving school in Vic to get my heavy trailer endorsement. They provided a truck with a weighted flatdeck. Drove around for an hour, he mentioned what the testers look for and then did my road test. Was pretty quick and easy.
Do you remember the name of the school?
What did it cost?

Update:
I took my class 3 knowledge test, in March. After my 3 month wait for my road test, thanks to Covid…. I showed up to my road test with my oversized boat. Nobody said anything , about my width of 9’9”…I took the test and passed. The test was a class 1 pre trip, minus the air portion, and a road test.

Back