heater

D

dk119

I was looking at adding a heater for those cold winter days. I have a 17' with a soft top. Any suggestions? I have been looking at everything from Espar units (big$$) and electric ones (sufficient?).

Thanks.

in my boat we got a heater that runs off the inboard that works well, would better if we had a complete canvas.
if your cabin is closed in im sure an eletric heater would work fine, in fact we're picking one up for our cuddy cabin

If you have damn near any 4 stoke kicker outboard they have a charging system built in you can hook up to your battery while its running, the amount of amps put out depends on the model. Easier on your batteries if you have the electic heater

I wasn't going to be the first to suggest propane in a boat, but on a small open outboard boat, it's the cheapest and most convenient your are going to get! Go for it and make sure it doesn't fall over. I don't think those little bottles hold enough to make a real boom int he conditions you find in a small runabout anyway.

Wabasto is the best way to go. I have been searching and new they are closer to $3000.00, unless I am getting hosed. This is what I am going to get. Not sure if you know, but propane is heavier than air. It can sink into your bilge and blow up with a spark. It does happen. Now that being said, be careful when you use it. I used to use those small bottles and when they get low they would blow out the heater and not stayt lit. They would not have enough pressure to close the built in valve at the top of the bottle when you replace it. Make sure and keep the little white cap that goes on them and put it on when done or empty.

My wife pulled the trash out of our boat one time, at the ramp, and put it in the cab of the truck. There was a small propane bottle in the trash. When I got back in the truck the whole cab was full of propane. I had to let it air out. This is how I figured it out. I switched over to the low profile pot belly tanks for now. Work great, but propane is dangerous.

I am a little leary about propane but may give it a shot if you guys had good success. As for electric I do have a 100Ah battery and a yamaha high thrust 8 so it can charge while trolling.

Last Chance I will PM you regarding the diesel unit, I am thinking about one for my next boatitis.

my 16' has a medium sized bilge. theres plenty of room for gases and such to accumilate. and pritty much all small boats have there gas tanks there. so if some propane seeped out and in the bilge and some how got lite. there would be a big explosion of propane and gas. You could install a small fan or something to blow the air around in the bilge.

I laugh every time I think about a post on another forum where a guy knocked over the pop bottle of burning gas that he was using for heat. I think it was an open boat on a lake.

momgoose, mongoose,mongoose I think you will have a chance more with the gas fumes blowing up then any propane!!!a fuel tank in a boat is more likely to leak out fumes they are not designed to be the most air tight unit on the cap there is a little air vent do you think maybe gas fumes will leak out of there???????????

I have used a propane heater for almost 20years and they work great if you are that worried tighten every thing up and then go over the connections with soapy water it will show the leaks I use a 20 lb tank and you put it inside a milk crake they fit perfect now you have a nice solid square base and will never tip over.

Good luck Wolf

Check the ebay thing. A friend of mine just installed a beauty espar in his 23 footer. Came new in the box with all fittings, price $750.00.

have used propane heaters in open boats for years...
they take the chill off and if used properly , they're safe

have used propane heaters in boats for years.like wolf said a milk crate works well-I also use a 5 gallon metal pail to set the tent heater in,works like a radiator.

have used propane heaters in boats for years.like wolf said a milk crate works well-I also use a 5 gallon metal pail to set the tent heater in,works like a radiator.

Back