Hardtop build

halimark

Well just returned from the cold east and am ready to tackle a hardtop build on my 18.6 DE. Am not convinced yet on what way to go? Fiberglass? I have little experience and am hesitant. Or aluminum, done this before on 17.6 DE and worked great, also have a couple sheets "laying around" would be a start, but I do not currently have a brake or welder for aluminum. Any recommendations for Comox valley fabricators/welders or fiberglass guys? I would like to keep as reasonable as possible and not expecting custom shop.

Thanks

HM

Have you thought about fabricating a fibreglass hardtop from scratch. It would be a great project to follow. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think so. I'm sure that there are a lot of experts that could give you some advise. I have searched to see if a project like this was done before but can't find any here. It shouldn't really be that hard if you have some basic fibreglassing skills. There is a foam core product that you can use to keep the weight down on the roof top. I would suspect you wouldn't be walking on top of the roof. Maybe just placing some crab or prawn traps up there. It would save you a bunch of money and you would have pride knowing you did it yourself. Just have to draw up a design that looks good.

The actual hardtop is the easy part whether fiberglass or aluminum.It's a lot harder to make the supporting structure in aluminum or stainless.I ordered 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 stainless polished tubing from Alaska copper &nickel in Vancouver and hand fitted it to the shape I needed and then had an expert welder weld and "pacify" the welds so they don't rust.It came out real nice,still looks new after 5 years.I'm a retired shipwright,so I did the time consuming and expensive plug,mold,finished piece routine,it looks like factory built,shiny top and bottom.If I was to do it again I would bend some airex foam over a curve and fiberglass both sides.Fill,sand,fill,sand until you get the finish your after.Good luck what ever you decide.

Saw a nice one made from the fiberglass truck bed cover. You could probably get a glass truck camper for free somewhere and just cut the top part off. Then make aluminum or stainless hardware.

I did the time consuming and expensive plug,mold,finished piece routine,it looks like factory built,shiny top and bottom.If I was to do it again I would bend some airex foam over a curve and fiberglass both sides.Fill,sand,fill,sand until you get the finish your after.Good luck what ever you decide.

I did the same and agree, the finished product is awesome but the time it consumed was epic…..

Attachments

• DCP_9446.jpg
    DCP_9446.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 325
Thanks for tips.

I have researched the fiberglass option and there are good how to's on you tube. Strong reason for aluminum is I have the 2 sheets (4x8) and should only require structure pieces, also had experience with this route before with assistance from Rick at Empire Welding in Vic, I was very happy with top for 10 years until footitis hit. Still not sure of route. I have decided to make a full top out of wood as a mockup, 2x2 structure, roof bend from cut 2x10 and door skin as a covering. After this is complete and exactly what I want I will then take to a close fiberglass shop for an estimate on covering and then metal shop for metal estimate. If metal my plan is to cut all pieces out then have pro welder in to weld. I will clean, finish and install. Took out soft top today and cleaned ready for wood work. I am no Sculpin or Albernifisher. Also do not want boat out of commission when fishing, spring bear opens so am somewhat hurried.

HM

Doesn't double eagle make a factory hard top ?? Wouldn't it make sense to just go buy the parts and do the install your self ? There's lots of old DE around you could prob find a used one . Just wondering ?

The factory hardtops were notoriously low,hard on the head.I would think you'd want to build something with full height clearance,but you could use the factory hardtop and raise it up to suit.

Correct. DE does make a hardtop but as Rayvon states not what I am looking for, very low (flat), to make with headroom I would have to have sides equal in height. I am thinking an arched roof line. I have also seen boats with truck canopy's mounted also not what I have in mind. It must be practical first, suite all my wants, standup room, strong enough to support kyak and prawn traps and good looks for when I get footisis again. I will ask Chris73 for a pic?

HM

have my build still on the go
it sat in the garage for the last 1yr
but have a bud who does glass
its plywood based and its getting glassed over soon
doing the front and sides first then adding the roof later
this is mainly to give more comfort for the winter months
as my old hard tee top and new canvas vinyl glass are tried and would set me back the cost of the
pilothouse build

Attachments

• IMAG0589.jpg
    IMAG0589.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0588.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0586.jpg
    IMAG0586.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 158
Wildthing, looks good and is just what I have in mind. Got the ply and door skin yesterday and hope to have structure complete this weekend. Weather is forecast as perfect. Nice to have a bud who does glass, I spoke to glass shop yesterday and will give pics before quote is provided. Any one have a Comox Valley aluminum welder recommendation?

HM

Maybe it's just me but I have been trying to find a suitable glass top for over a year.....having zero luck even finding somebody interested in doing the top.....I'll do the ss but don't have the time to do the glass...... Hey Ray, want a side job! (Kidding)

Back