Harbour Authority...

It has been interesting reading this post especially as one who was stopped. We had no wake to speak of and the irony of other boats passing us as we chatted and having their wakes rock us was not missed.

I wonder if this is a quiet start to a responsible wake summer program.

It is far to coincidental to me that two of us were stopped on the same day one on the Fraser and one in the Harbour.

Of course stopping people to talk about their wakes gives them reasonable cause to look for other infractions. Liquor, Safety compliance , etc.

In the end, I had no problems with the process and I would have expected to have had the size of my wake mentioned if it was a problem

It has been interesting reading this post especially as one who was stopped. We had no wake to speak of and the irony of other boats passing us as we chatted and having their wakes rock us was not missed.

I wonder if this is a quiet start to a responsible wake summer program.

It is far to coincidental to me that two of us were stopped on the same day one on the Fraser and one in the Harbour.

Of course stopping people to talk about their wakes gives them reasonable cause to look for other infractions. Liquor, Safety compliance , etc.

In the end, I had no problems with the process and I would have expected to have had the size of my wake mentioned if it was a problem
I agree, it's possibly not coincidental. Though, I think the tug guys called and complained and that's why the HA was there. Which, unlike yourself kind of frustrates me about the process. If they had simply said, the tug guys are getting beat up over there and we are asking people to slow down and not wake them, I would have appreciated that. The guy was condescending and trying to make us feel stupid. There is always something to learn and I appreciate that. The approach was a little off imo.

Cates Park and Deep Cove was an absolute circus this weekend with the first batch of nicer weather. I think they are attempting a show of force front loading the season and then it will taper off with greater reliance on the 20 minute speed zone perhaps.

Wake is directly relative to the speed.
Read part c and d
Fair. At first glance I would have read that as "don't race past work being done in the event you need to change course etc to avoid a collision". Suprised they don't directly mention wake.

Still doesn't really apply as I was not passing dredging, towing or a grounded vessel.

Fair. At first glance I would have read that as "don't race past work being done in the event you need to change course etc to avoid a collision". Suprised they don't directly mention wake.

Still doesn't really apply as I was not passing dredging, towing or a grounded vessel.
vessel passing another vessel, OR work
I'd advise you to read that again.
I Really dont care how you interpret it, just tellin ya how it is (and how a judge would interpret it)

Last edited:
Not always.. boats not on plane plowing a bunch of water can throw a much bigger wake them when they are on plane.
Optics...tell that to the judge. Oh but your honor I was doing 40 knots in a no wake zone because my boat throws less wake that way, the onus would be on you to prove that it was safer, which you can pretty much guarantee it is not. I hear ya but it won't fly with the speed nazis.

Last edited:
vessel passing another vessel, OR work
I'd advise you to read that again.
I Really dont care how you interpret it, just tellin ya how it is (and how a judge would interpret it)
"vessel or work that includes, dredging..."

you added a coma. Changes the whole thing. I had a cruise ship go by the other day, throwing a pretty uncomfortable wake. I don't think he was slowing down.

Im not trying to be overly argumentative here, I respect the fact that you know a lot more about this than I do. I'm just basing this on what I know the rules to be and 35 years of pleasure boating. Boats don't slow down for other boats typically.

Optics...tell that to the judge. Oh but your honor I was doing 40 knots in a no wake zone because my boat throws less wake that way, the onus would be on you to prove that it was safer, which you can pretty much guarantee it is not. I hear ya but it won't fly with the speed nazis.
How does that work though, if I get swamped by a BC ferries wake when I'm out fishing, are there going to get in **** because they didn't slow down when passing me?

"vessel or work that includes, dredging..."

you added a coma. Changes the whole thing. I had a cruise ship go by the other day, throwing a pretty uncomfortable wake. I don't think he was slowing down.

Im not trying to be overly argumentative here, I respect the fact that you know a lot more about this than I do. I'm just basing this on what I know the rules to be and 35 years of pleasure boating. Boats don't slow down for other boats
If you don't like my reality check, best get a legal opinion of your own. Yes people don't slow down, doesn't make it right. Until someone gets hurt or there is damage? Read Cockcroft for a good understanding of how it works, then maybe pass a couple of intense exams 😅 oh and memorize the collision regulations including the enabling legislation. Then maybe we can chat about it over a pint

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230503-004601_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230503-004601_Edge.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you don't like my reality check, best get a legal opinion of your own. Yes people don't slow down, doesn't make it right. Until someone gets hurt or there is damage? Read Cockcroft for a good understanding of how it works, then maybe pass a couple of intense exams 😅 oh and memorize the collision regulations including the enabling legislation. Then maybe we can chat about it over a pint
No, I love it. Good stuff. I've always learned a lot by questioning experts. Even at the risk of sounding stupid from time to time. I'll have a read through that. If we ever have the pint I'll let you do most of the talking. Cheers!

Im not trying to be overly argumentative here, I respect the fact that you know a lot more about this than I do. I'm just basing this on what I know the rules to be and 35 years of pleasure boating. Boats don't slow down for other boats typically.
RECREATIONAL boats (often including sportsfishing boats) sometimes don't slow down because they unfortunately often lack the basic knowledge of the collision regs that BC Coast Pilot has posted.

In today's World of everyone having a camera on their phone and immediately available evidence - rec boaters could find themselves charged if the RCMP are on the water following up on a complaint logged by those whose operations were endangered by careless boat operators rather than just getting a warning from the Ports Boat. If someone is injured - expect the perpetrator getting sued in this example.

BC Coast Pilot is offering free advice based on what appears to be substantial experience. Might be good to follow his advice - yes?

PS - Don't forget there are also Canadian modifications/additions that are equally as legally valid as the adopted international rules.

Last edited:
RECREATIONAL boats (often including sportsfishing boats) sometimes don't slow down because they unfortunately often lack the basic knowledge of the collision regs that BC Coast Pilot has posted.

In today's World of everyone having a camera on their phone and immediately available evidence - rec boaters could find themselves charged if the RCMP are on the water following up on a complaint logged by those whose operations were endangered by careless boat operators rather than just getting a warning from the Ports Boat. If someone is injured - expect the perpetrator getting sued in this example.

BC Coast Pilot is offering free advice based on what appears to be substantial experience. Might be good to follow his advice - yes?

I think it's good advice. As my boat is not very big and really doesn't throw much of a wake relatively speaking, I only ever really have thought to slow down for very small crafts. Mostly paddle boards etc. I'm quite confident in saying I have never put anyone in danger with my speed or wake. I'm sure at times some boats have found my wake to be a nuisance though, which is really the original point. Should I have been warned for creating a "nuisance". I certainly don't want to bother people, but I bet we have all made another boat slow down and bounce a bit for our wake as we pass.

I'd be curious to hear yours and BCpilots answer to the question about a BC Ferry wake or comment on the 4' wake I got from a cruise ship that was borderline dangerous. Is there an expectation that those vessels should slow down?

Again, just trying asking questions. Not trying to be rude. I'm sure lots of what is said here will be on my mind next time out.

I think it's good advice. As my boat is not very big and really doesn't throw much of a wake relatively speaking, I only ever really have thought to slow down for very small crafts. Mostly paddle boards etc. I'm quite confident in saying I have never put anyone in danger with my speed or wake. I'm sure at times some boats have found my wake to be a nuisance though, which is really the original point. Should I have been warned for creating a "nuisance". I certainly don't want to bother people, but I bet we have all made another boat slow down and bounce a bit for our wake as we pass.

I'd be curious to hear yours and BCpilots answer to the question about a BC Ferry wake or comment on the 4' wake I got from a cruise ship that was borderline dangerous. Is there an expectation that those vessels should slow down?

Again, just trying asking questions. Not trying to be rude. I'm sure lots of what is said here will be on my mind next time out.
It's a good question on the ferry - it's a little hard to guestimate who was right/wrong w/o a video. But...

No - no ship should unnecessarily endanger anyone's lives if they ca avoid doing so. Having said that - there is also an onus on any small boat operator to take proactive measures to avoid getting into a dangerous situation with a larger vessel that has less ability to turn and stop and may be constrained by it's draft - and the ferry terminals and ferry routes are well known and publicized. There are numerous practical things and sections of the Collision regs to know ahead of time and to consider. Here's a few:

Rule 2​

Responsibility​

• (a)
    Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.
  • (b)
    In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.

Rule 5​

Look-out​

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

I'd have to get the measuring tape out. My boat throws a lot more wake at 10 knots than 23 though.
Thats 10 Kilometres which is like 6 MPH or 5 Kts.

Many weekend warriors have the latest and greatest in toys but very little sea time, combined with a lack of common sense, and a couple of beers, = trouble.

Back