**** happens, suggestions?

AndrewH

cGk85Os.jpg

Can it be welded or should I just track down a new/used arm?

2017 Yamaha 9.9

Had to replace the throttle cable on my 2012 yamaha 9.9 a few years ago. Similar set up. If you have to replace the arm (recommended), there is an unusal locking nut that holds the arm onto the bracket. Of course it will likely be rusted on and there is no special tool or room to get it off. A nice yamaha mechanic told me that they just cut them off and put on a new nut. Hope this helps....

You definitely have to take it off to get it welded properly. I would price it out, get a cost on a new handle and take the handle to a close machine shop. I bet they can weld it for a fraction of the cost of replacement and they will weld it from the inside you'll never see it. IMHO

So this is cast metal...notorious for pitting and breaking after being welded . Also where the break is in relation to the gromit and swivel connection would be a challenge. Not to mention the safety
Factor which I would call into question.

Replace, but look online for used one too. I'm sure it won't be cheap for new.

Check out SIM Yamaha. I went with them for a new handle only as I didn't need the whole assembly. Might be different wiring but same handle that you are looking at.

Just for reference, the Merc dealer in Tofino got me for 800 bones when I busted my tiller on a 50hp in the middle of the busy season about 6 years back.

I can see 3.25 or so plus install..another
1.00 or so plus taxes...500 out the door

sent you a pm

Can't weld cast aluminum. My 06 9.9 Yam. broke and it came in 2 sections. Just had to buy the section that bolts onto motor. I believe it was $80. If you have been thinking of putting controls in now would be a good time.

Was thinking the same thing, might be cheaper to switch to forward controls.

Can't weld cast aluminum. My 06 9.9 Yam. broke and it came in 2 sections. Just had to buy the section that bolts onto motor. I believe it was $80. If you have been thinking of putting controls in now would be a good time.

Not that I care which way the repair is done but just to clarify as it's not good to have false info out there. Yes indeed cast aluminum is weldable. Many marine parts made from cast aluminum are welded regularly.

Google is your friend if you are in doubt.

Back