Hammered / honeycomb spoons

Slabby20

As if I need more tackle I'm adding a few more spoons to my tackle box for the upcoming summer. What is your opinion of the hammered / honeycomb spoons vs. the standard smooth finish spoons?

Cheers,
Slabby

Good topic...I have one from Tomic and a a few Zurtro spoons with the hammered finish but yet to get them wet. Was kinda curious myself.

Holmes, you've quietly passed the "5000 post " mark.
I thought there would be fanfare and dancing girls ??
:p:D

I have used hammered spoons for years and have found them to be very productive especiallly when fished alongside more traditional blades like Tom Macks and Clenden Stewarts. Some of the guides from Haida Gwai will have fished the Superior spoon known to many as the" cheese grater" and that is a classic example of a hammered spoon .

That's about 4.5 posts every day for 3 yrs. OMG. How many keyboards? How many PMs?

That's about 4.5 posts every day for 3 yrs. OMG. How many keyboards? How many PMs?
no thats plus the PM's.
speaking of which Holmes you still owe me a PM:)

I have to ask........ how much does a spoon have to drink before it is considered a hammered spoon?

Maybe like the dimples on a golf ball.

A golf ball going through the air has far less resistance a same size ball without dimples. The decreased resistance would not really come into play but reflection would certainly change with dimples. Probably more effective in shallower water.

I have to ask........ how much does a spoon have to drink before it is considered a hammered spoon?
Joke of the day! Haha love it.

Maybe I read it on a MFG's website, but my guess is as the water passes over the dimples it creates a distortion, or mild vibration in the water. Without a smooth surface for the water to pass over my guess would be the spoon has an 'invisible to the naked eye' kind of vibration. (similar to the effect of the "sonic edge" silver horde line of spoons I reckon)

I have a pretty stupid question about spoons that doesn't deserve a new thread, so I thought I would hide it in here...

Why do many of the better spoons on the market only have paint on one side?? Is it because the outer side is the side that is being presented to the fish..... the inside is just left to reflect light better..... cheaper to produce??? If you were extremely finicky about your gear, wouldn't you consider a spoon only half finished??

Why do many of the better spoons on the market only have paint on one side??

The finished or painted side is kind of like "The Clincher", representative of the prey of choice when the fish has been attracted into close range. The chrome side reflects light a substantially further distance, and is the initial attractor to entice them from distance into the closer range. The right finish closes the deal.

Cheers,
Nog

I would agree with Iron Noggin but with a "caveat". Ordinary Nickel/Chrome on a spoon is not that good a reflector EXCEPT when you fish it shallow and the sunnier the better. Anything below about 60ft and chrome does not reflect that much (unless there's lots of sun).

Genuine silver plated spoons are a better bet because silver tends to reflect as whitish at depth whereas chrome tends to reflect greyish or not at all.

If you are going below 60 or 70 ft then a spoon with one Glow side is good.
(as in the Silver Horde Kingfisher Irish Creme for one example).

Chrome or plated surfaces only reflect what available light there is to reflect. Except brass or gold which reflect yellow regardless and copper which tends to reflect red.

Down deep there isn't really a hell of a lot of light to reflect. (I know this from SCUBA diving for years).

On overcast drab days it's even worse. And before 10 a.m. or after about 4 p.m. your light drops quick too. (Even on sunny days).

Genuine silver is the best of the chrome-type plated spoons.

The idea of the hammered spoon was to create more angles on the spoon to reflect light....plus the sonic effect.

Shallow/sunny/bright, a chrome one side spoon is o.k.

But if you are going downstairs then I would go Glow one side or even white one side.

As far as being able to see something at depth....white is miles ahead of anything else (except Glow).

Back