Halibut Season 2016

Mako 22

I plan on fishing your side of the Straits this summer for Halibut due to our very short season and the impossibility of an enjoyable experience at out boat launch facilities: Meaning a complete Zoo at the ramps!!! Besides I like to fish in July and August, nicer weather.

I likely will fish the BC side of Border Bank (We call it Coyote) for starters. About a 13 mile run for me from the Port Angeles Harbor.

I have found the BC site with Halibut regulations, license requirements, limits and other halibut info but for some reason I have not found the actual season dates.

So if anyone can point me to the right place for season info I would be thankful.

Thanks Gents!

John in Port Angeles

It's open till the end of the year, unless they close it early because they project us to exceed our quota.

Sure is a better season than we have! Well worth the boat ride out into the straits. And the license fee is not all that bad either.

Thanks!

PS When did the season start?

I believe it was Feb 1st. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

Thanks again. I will not fish until June as I am finishing up a rebuild project on the boat now and have a few things left to accomplish.

Re: Size limits.

On the Fisheries and Oceans Canada site the maximum size is 133 cm. For the possession limit of two only one may be over 83 cm. There is a mention of a 90 cm length in the discussion of making a measuring stick for the boat but no mention of what the 90 cm length refers to. Do other areas have a 90 cm limit or is this a left over number from last year that was not changed in the text? I think so as the text says the 83 cm length is different from last year.

I would think the measuring stick for this year should have both a 133 cm mark and a 83 cm mark, correct me if I am in error. Am I correct is saying there is no minimum length?

I am looking forward to several trips to the B.C. side this year, and the way things are going in the WA State negotations concerning salmon season in the Straits and Puget Sound this year, I may be forced to fish for Chinook on your side also!!!

I will be in my Mako 22, photo below. It has a few changes including a leaning post instead of the swivel seats and now has electric downriggers instead of the arm breaking manuals shown.

upload_2016-4-22_15-4-25.png

PS, just a friendly reminder that anchor lines often run at least a 100 feet north of anchored boats. Although I like the donation of a ball and spreader, it is not worth the chance of a hook through the hand while pulling in my anchor or getting fishing line wrapped around my prop like last weekend.

Yep the guys on this side started anchoring a couple of years ago. I mostly drag big baits or jig with 16 to 24 ounce jigs for halibut and I stay away from other boats. I fish solo a lot and would not dream of dropping an anchor in the Straits, too many things can go wrong when only one guy is in the boat.

I caught my first Halibut in 1978, fishing our Green Point area just east of Port Angeles. A lucky catch, 60 feet of water, I was using a big squid for bait and was hooked up on the first drop. 122 pounds.

I have fished our side of Border Bank and caught a few over the years past before the seasons got so squirrely here. Now it is a major pain in the rear to launch and retrieve the boat due to the insane number of folks fishing WA Halibut, it has become "derby day" each day of the season. I will not put my boat in a slip at the marina to leave it overnight prior to fishing day due to the theft problem. After our season is over our launch ramps are deserted and it is a pleasure to launch and run across the Straits!

You will need to come to Canada to get your license. Here is the link with the rule. Best of luck with your fishing and welcome.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html
"For non-residents who wish to fish for halibut in Areas 23, 121, or 123, a licence must be acquired from an Independent Access Provider in Canada."

Um the Strait is are 19 and 20. Internet license is fine. 122 and 123 is Swiftsure/Laparouse.

Yep 19 and 20 are the areas I will fish. Although I have a Victoria trip planned in June for a tackle buying venture. And a visit to Peetz! It is a 1-1/2 hour ferry ride from Port Angeles to the Victoria Harbor.

Thanks Lastchance for picking up my error. I stand corrected.

Back