Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

went out today and fished by myself for about an hour and got two on at the same time. sure made for a lot of fun dealing with them both but sure was a bummer letting one go....oh well have to catch him next time :) also buddy who anchored nearby also fishing alone got a 50 Lber at about the same time :)was an awesome day :)

Went out for a few hours near sidney channel yesterday, and picked up our limit. 20 and 60, the sixty fought like crazy both on salmon belly.

"near Sidney Channel", not in it..... Good day of butt banging Chinook!! Don't give it up boy.

We got one about 60lbs today on herring off Oakbay.
It was wet, but the winds were light .
8 crab on the way back. not a bad day :)

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

Hi there,

Any one know if there is any where I can drop for Hali close to Vancouver? I would launch at Mcdonald beach by the air port. Any help would be nice since I am new to the sport.

Cheers
:D

Cedarman.....you will 'hear' of the odd one caught (not targetted I would think) each year over in our localish waters but you pretty much have to get over towards Victoria area or Northwards to get in them.

You could have some LONG days "targetting" them in the local Vancouver waters. ;)

quote: Wow. Must have been fun getting him up, were you able to unwind him, or did you bring the whole chunk of iron up with you?

I had it up about half way before he ran down and around the rode. Good fun on your lonesome pulling the anchor by hand 180 feet with a pissed off hali running all over. New respect for the old handline days..... Pull some, reel some, on and on it went...Try gaffing a fifty with anchor in one hand and rod in the other by your self, it went nutz, anchor, hali, chain flopping all over.[:p]

IMG_5253.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

sounds like you had a good day on the water.

I once fished in Bamfield, a boater hauled in a 30 lber halibut and put it in the floor's box...I heard many loud bangings for a while.

I have heard one of old fishing stories...one fisherman pulled in a large halibut into a small wood rowboat without any fights, decided to row back home, halibut got crazy, trashing everything in the boat, fisherman threw it back in the sea and got home safely.

Where are the hot spots right about now. Heading down this week, I heard Pedder bay has done allright. Might stick around there and albert head... any heads up on the producing spots would help, just got the one day.

Originally posted by Tailspin

I had it up about half way before he ran down and around the rode. Good fun on your lonesome pulling the anchor by hand 180 feet with a pissed off hali running all over. New respect for the old handline days..... Pull some, reel some, on and on it went...Try gaffing a fifty with anchor in one hand and rod in the other by your self, it went nutz, anchor, hali, chain flopping all over.[:p]

Good story.

Sounds like something I'd do...except I'd more likely lose one or more of the fish, the anchor, the gaff, the rod, and my lucky fishing hat, plus wreck my motor and put a hole in my boat. [:eek:)]

Hey, anyone looking for a lucky deckhand for some hali fishing? :D

Back