Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

Hi there new to the site.

First trip out there for halibut at constance with my dad and friend and was able to pull out an 80 pounder. Trowser how'd you do after I left?? Can someone tell me how to post the pictures on the site?? thanx

Thanks Tyee. I do the same. good to know I wasn't far off.

Trophy we got one around 25. Nice work on the 80 buddy.

Mackeral you say?that was some good fishin on Sun wasn't it Kelly almost like a mini swiftsure.

Hi there,

Any one know if there is any where I can drop for Hali close to Vancouver? I would launch at Mcdonald beach by the air port. Any help would be nice since I am new to the sport.

Cheers
:D

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

Hi there,

Any one know if there is any where I can drop for Hali close to Vancouver? I would launch at Mcdonald beach by the air port. Any help would be nice since I am new to the sport.

Cheers
:D

Depending on what your version of close is, Trincomali Channel and South Pender Island have produced several as bycatch for a commercial fellow I know.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

LC south pender island you say? I fish there every year, as my grandparents have a cabin on that island. Didnt know there was any hali there! Do you know exactly whereabouts? I have been meaning to get into hali fishing for the longest time, and I am going up to winter harbour this year, but if i can get some hali off of south pender that would be pretty sweet too! Any help would be appreciated!

quote:Originally posted by spring time

i've heard oak bay can be good don't no where but some one on here might

Oakbay is a good long way from Vancouver :D
but you're right, lot's of big Hali's come from
Oakbay

Heard from my neighbor that Sidney was on fire for halies on Sunday. He said a 200, 150 and a bunch of smaller ones were weighed-in in the Sidney Anglers Hali derby? Was anyone out there fishing yesterday?

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Hey Da Fixer, how did you make out on Saturday? We went 0 for 4. Gotta get new partners LOL Just kiddin Island Idiot and HillBilly.Cheers Fc

What sort of depth are we talking about here, off Sidney or Darcy Island? 150, 200, 250? Anyone troll right along the bottom dragging a whole herring behind a flasher for halibut? I'd bite that!

quote:Originally posted by kthomas

LC south pender island you say? I fish there every year, as my grandparents have a cabin on that island. Didnt know there was any hali there! Do you know exactly whereabouts? I have been meaning to get into hali fishing for the longest time, and I am going up to winter harbour this year, but if i can get some hali off of south pender that would be pretty sweet too! Any help would be appreciated!

As explained to me, (I have not caught one there), between the 40 and 60 meter bumps. You will need a GPS to find them, and a day with almost no tides, as they rip there. It's about another 12 miles to Haro Strait with a lot of well known and fished hali holes, may be worth an overnight trip, spend a night in Sidney, and work Haro/Oak Bay. But that's where he told me he did well on a few rockfish longline sets.

www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance
As explained to me, (I have not caught one there), between the 40 and 60 meter bumps. You will need a GPS to find them, and a day with almost no tides, as they rip there. It's about another 12 miles to Haro Strait with a lot of well known and fished hali holes, may be worth an overnight trip, spend a night in Sidney, and work Haro/Oak Bay. But that's where he told me he did well on a few rockfish longline sets.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Awesome, thanks for the info LastChance! If you get any more information I would like to know!

Was out at Sidney Sunday afternoon.If there was a derby then that explains all the boats out there.Didn't see any brought in but saw some decent carcasses at the dock.
Gonna try again this weekend around D'arcy

Hooch

went out today and fished by myself for about an hour and got two on at the same time. sure made for a lot of fun dealing with them both but sure was a bummer letting one go....oh well have to catch him next time :) also buddy who anchored nearby also fishing alone got a 50 Lber at about the same time :)was an awesome day :)

Back