Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

Interesting Roy I've also had luck on octopus but ONLY for 1 day too it seems. I throw it back in the brine thinking it will absorb all the smells but when I use it next, nothing! Other than that I've had it about even between herring and mackeral. Strange with the octopus though - it still smelled like sh*t to me but they won't touch it.

Across the border here as been very very spotty. We have had the tribes out longlining a lot. The 141 we got was on a big chunk of humboldt squid steak with a huge hootchy over it. My buddy got an 87 a coupld of days later and another 90 a friend got on the same day that got the 141. We had a fishing club outing at Port Townsend and it was really slow.

From what I could tell that most that caught halibut were using straight herring. Mostly black to purple label sized. Good Black herring are not around. I normally use big squid. I had a mackeral on one day and it didn't work. The areas we normally catch fish didn't produce, but normally I don't catch a fish in the same area again anyway. The 141 came in in an area that I got a 50 and a 30 several years ago. This was a first.
w640.jpg

w640.jpg

quote:Originally posted by otter

might be a issue here, slot size for salmon,maybe for big Halis? DFO??

B Gibb

For starters, the pic was from across the border, and a slot size for big hali's would prove impractical for the number of them caught, and would also pose potential safety issues in releasing them. I've been close to enough big hali's boatside to know that putting my hand anywhere near one of them is probably bad news.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Last C, makes sense,Im not a Hali fisherman,just think maybe some reg governing size would help. other then that i dont know.

B Gibb

quote:Originally posted by otter

Last C, makes sense,Im not a Hali fisherman,just think maybe some reg governing size would help. other then that i dont know.

B Gibb

No sweat, just my opinion, comes across a little strong sometimes. I'd be more up for an annual limit or something, but releasing a big one I could see being downright dangerous.

www.swiftsurebank.com

All I have to say is that after replacing all my ripped gear this year and what I have put into the local economy in the form of repairs,licences,gas,bait,guests,etc,etc. I think I am due for a couple of decent size halis. One fish is too much of a restriction by itself without closing the season early and especially without limiting size.

Tight Lines

Great fish Fishinnut just awesome..

Got a question for yah,,by the looks of it you are hanging those hogs from your Bimini kind of hard on equipment no ??

Thx for sharing the pics and enjoy the meat...

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Keep up the GOOD work with the pics.... Gotta like it! [:p] Here's a pic too,[:p] Enjoy and Be Safe out there![8D] Anyone know these guys?
NiceWhitefish.jpg

Must be greenhorns :D

..... see ya got the sissy sticks out.

Probably run into ya this weekend... doing the west thing [8D]

Please let me know how you do in Renfrew, heading back as usual this July long, 4th year in a row!!! You shouldn't have to go out far this time of year at Renfrew to get em.

quote:Originally posted by roscoe-pco

Please let me know how you do in Renfrew, heading back as usual this July long, 4th year in a row!!! You shouldn't have to go out far this time of year at Renfrew to get em.

I'll give a news update if I can see straight long enough to run the boat. It's going to be a relaxing weekend.

www.swiftsurebank.com

I know the really old guy on the right.I'm pretty sure thats the only fish he ever caught,rookie.I better sign off now before I get my Butt Kicked.

Wondering if this is an exceptional year for halibut, or if just more guys going out targeting them and reporting in about their catches?
Can't recall a halibut thread running this long, and looked back in the old posts from last year and there is scarcely a mention.
(Don't fish them myself, but getting tempted.)

Back