Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

Last Chance, saw you at the docks across from us, we came in a few minutes before you, we got our limit by 8am. as well. Great morning.

IMG_7892.jpg

Fished Constance Sunday, slow tides in the morning, slower halibut fishing but we managed one in the box. Lots of dogfish, at one point we had two dogfish on one line, one on each of the tandem single hook set up. Still a great day in the sun.

Fished conny today... Worked really hard for our two chickens. (25, 35) Gonna pack up the hali gear and work on those springs now...

Thanks Last Chance!!!!
Fished 28-29th with Kelly, limited and done by 8:30 both days. Wife is still fired up.After Kelly filleted them we took them in for Flash freeze and vaccumn packing, 85lbs of pure white slabs!!!:D

Tomorrow is our last day here in the US Eastern straits, unless you run way West. Western end of the straits is open until the beginning of July. We got a 53 and a real dinker, maybe a 20, on Saturday. Bite came on late in the afternoon. Went out Monday and got skunked. Doggies are moving in. We got a 4 foot dog on Saturday and Monday. Bigger than normal. I think I will start getting the boat ready for Chinook. We are heading to Neah Bay in the beginning of July for Chinook. It was a good season for us this year.

Check out how close this guy, that had been fishng by us all day, got to getting run over. Be safe out there.Good luck guys from across the pond.
Ron

w640.jpg

w640.jpg

Usual freighter stuff.Be cautious out there. these guys have limited vision!!! One issue I never see talked about on this forum is the damage that these huge freighters do to the fish habitat when they anchor. Any one been up to Pender lately with all the ROROs sitting between the islands because they don't want to pay to anchor in English Bay?
These guys do huge damage to the Constance Bank eco system but no one seem to give a rats butt.Last week I saw a Italian freighter weigh anchor and drag it for .5 nm across the bank. I am no expert but this can't be good for fish habitat and stocks.

beemer

I've got the gov't tide and current charts for Juan De Fuca East, but they're quite different from the Big Wave Dave SSE Discovery current measurements. Does anyone know when the next good halibut tides are?

A few weeks ago we spent 9 hours in the boat (ya thats right 9 hrs! in a 19' open boat), and managed to hook into one around 6pm, but it was my buddies first gaff job and she got away.

quote:Originally posted by Sangstercraft

I've got the gov't tide and current charts for Juan De Fuca East, but they're quite different from the Big Wave Dave SSE Discovery current measurements. Does anyone know when the next good halibut tides are?

I'll leave the experts to interpret hali tides.

But this is a pretty cool site, for currents near vic:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/juandefuca/victoria_animation.htm

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

quote:Originally posted by Sangstercraft

A few weeks ago we spent 9 hours in the boat (ya thats right 9 hrs! in a 19' open boat), and managed to hook into one around 6pm, but it was my buddies first gaff job and she got away.

The Big Wave Dave SSE Discovery current graph is bang on. I just compared it to the Nobeltec currents program that I have and its the same. Go with that, don't use the gov't tide and current charts, is it that yearly book they issue? Ya you can use that for starting your camp fire..[^]

You can see for your self on the SSE Discouvery current graph that there are big current swings this weekend..

That tide book that you are starting your campfire with is where Nobeltec gets their calculations from.;)

quote:Originally posted by beemer

That tide book that you are starting your campfire with is where Nobeltec gets their calculations from.;)

I was just kididng,I knew I would get a comment for that..;) just that I prefer Nobeltec.. its just easier than have to thumb through a book.. also Nobeltec current data is displayed for every 15 min. ! very accurate than most current tables that just display the data by hourly... Once you have Nobeltec its hard to go back to that book..[:p]

hey Rock I completely agree. I love Nobeltec. Remember the good ole days before gps flipping through endless pages the night before heading out making tide/math calculations and trying to remember how to do fractions from high school .Finallly you figure out when slack is and you get out there and the tide is ripping!

I love technology. Does anyone else use wxtide32 for their home PC? I really like it.

And the beauty of Nobeltec is that it differentiates between 'tides' and 'currents' which is so important. Along with real-time GPS plotting and detailed charts I am loving this technology on the boat with a 15" screen. Better than ****, well maybe not..... but it's close. ;)

We caught a couple aff Albert head today. Right after the flood picked up. Both on cut-plug herring and both fish had completely empty stomachs. Looks like fish and chips for dinner!!!:D

Back