Halibut Quotas Recreational Fishers 2012 BC Canadians Subsistence or commercial?

FishMan

This is a reply to the concern for recent halibut issues and management test projects by dfo. You guys, all you need to do is look at the track record of the managers who you are dealing with. Look into who is making the decisions and calls on these test projects. When you call the info lines for these meetings, you are talking to the Manager who makes these calls. If they forward it to someone else, there is a very good chance that they work closely with that person. If you look into how much experience these managers actually have dealing with fisheries, nevermind Saltwater fisheries, nevermind halibut, you will find that they have NO real applicable practical experience in fisheries management.

One other huge point here is, that almost all of the DFO FIsheries managers you deal with are Not Biologists. They are usually some technician from a hatchery without any formal education who has worked their way up through the system. This is the truth, all you need to do is look into it. Also there is something called ATIP (Access to Information and Privacy). This is how you find out DFO information when you get the run around from our local managers. You will end up talking to someone in Ottawa, and from my experience they are very friendly and helpful in getting you information about Pacific Coast. Trust me, you can get what you need there.

This Halibut recreational quota system is wrong. The little local non-aboriginal fisherman from Zabellos, Port Renfrew, Port Hardy with one hook on a line.. who wants to go out in his aluminum boat to catch his family a halibut to eat during the winter can't do it anymore because the lodges catch up the recreational quoats in the summertime. If you're First nations then it doesn't matter, you can go out whenever you like with lots of hooks and rope. Thats not the issue, the issue is very bad decisions and management. First Nations get access to Food with little to no restrictions, whereas community subsistence fishers are pooled into 'recreational' with no access as a local subsistence user.

So, First Nations continue to have first priority to Halibut because of their constitutional right to food social and ceremonial fishies. Thats fine and dandy. But the rest of Canadians are being treated like commercial fishers now. Having to buy extra quotas before we know what our food needs will be during the winter.

One other thing, if we are talking about subsistence fishing. It takes quite a few trips for non-aboriginal 'Joe' to go out in his aluminum boat with his one rod and his one hook, to catch his family a few feeds of fish.

Anyways thats my first contribution to a thread. Seriously if you look into who is making these projects and calls, it is a dangerous situation. You are dealing with inexperienced policy kids. And thats somewhat literal as well. The managers you deal with are much of the time not only inexperienced, but also very young. They are affecting families all along the coast who aren't aboriginal. All the non-profits and funding organizations tend to do their research and work based on commercial or aboriginal goals because thats where funding is available. When it comes to the non-aboriginal subsistence fisher, you're out of luck with your one hook, one line and sinker in the summertime.

Last time I checked, we dont have a subsistence fishery. If I wanted cheap fish, I would head for SuperStore. I , and my friends fish for SPORT, if we catch something, its a bonus

You have that right for sure, who would spend the kind of money we do for subsistance. Porridge is a fukk of a lot cheaper.

Last time I checked, we dont have a subsistence fishery. If I wanted cheap fish, I would head for SuperStore. I , and my friends fish for SPORT, if we catch something, its a bonus

Back