Halibut quota ideas?

AGAIN a miss informed person (cuba) you dont care or wish to not care because you dont understand or choose not to understand easy to say FU south because it doesnt effect you in any way..... its not in your backyard but when the time comes when it is in your backyard ill take the same stand as you and wont support you ONE bit

What amazes me is you all think that we get to fish for halibut down here everyday well you CANT!!!!!!! plain and simple from march 1 to june 3 rd there is a total of 25 full days when you can fish up to 8 hours and then about ten 3 to 5 hours times you can fish factor in bad weather so we will lose about 10 days so maybe at most 25 days to fish for them in 3 months or to make it easy for you 94 days!!!!!!!!!.

After that its dogfish haven and tides/currents get to fast its always been a spring fishery and we take the lowest of the TAC comparable to farting in a wind storm but yeah pick on the souther island and f us down here we wihine to much no early spring fishery now halibut ... BUT I KNOW FOR SURE IF IT EFFECTED YOU YOU ***** LIKE HELL.....

WOLF

WANT A TROPHY HALIBUT DONT COME TO BC GO TO ALASKA

Good article in the TC I agree but I don't remember the SFAB asking for RCA's. I remember DFO telling us they were going to happen and you can either help us map out areas or we will do it for you.

Thanks Craven, looks like Wolf is yelling again :)

No problem, Can't say i blame him, we are all defensive of our "own back yard"
and thats exactly what gov't wants.
keep us divided so they can focus on the large lobbying groups that give them money :mad:

Hey Wolf-- its obvious that you didnt READ my post, so here it is again:
No Pat-- its a reaction to how things have changed. While some in Victoria may not LIKE a May 1st opening, Victoria, like Toronto, is NOT the center of the Universe. They will still have at least 4 months to get their season limit. Now how is that a hardship when you live withing 1/2 hr from a launching ramp--and dont tell me they NEED those special tides, or they wont be able to catch any halis. The rest of us who dont live in halibut country are lucky to make 3 trips a year.
Yes-- we went into meeting with a bargaining strategy that said full season, no max size, etc. But when reality reared its ugly head, the strategy HAD to change. And in my opinion and a lot of others, a 1/1 no size limit and close when TAC reached makes sense. Hard on guides-- yes, but also hard on the likes of me also. But we choose the one that suits us best.. and its NOT laughable . Its pathetic that we have to have these discussions when we all know that we need an increase in our TAC to at least 20%. On that we do agree.

When the statistical review at the SFAB showed that the options that were favoured by the SFACs would not achieve the desired harvest total, then the clock was restarted. We ended up with a start in March that will only work to shut down the late season . So who benefits from this? South Island it seems..... but what about the rest of the areas? There is little in it for them . If we follow Rockfish's comments about how important the Victoria fishery is, above others in the Province, I would suggest that you are opening up the discussion that maybe there should be AREA quotas, so that others get a decent chance to get a hali. Personally I dont want to see that, and I dont expect that you do either. The point that has been lost is that we needed a season that works for all... not just Victoria, not just guides, not just tourists, not just tinboat anglers that cant even consider going out in March. This debate is not finished by any means. But with a small annual limit apparently coming our way, a 11 month season is not realistic even if it was part of our bargaining position.

One final thing rockfish-- good on you guys for forming the South Island Anglers. But it missed the mark by not including the rest of the province. Make it relevant to the rest of the province and then it will carry a LOT more weight with DFO.

CL I agree with a lot of what you have said, but I'd say about 75-80% of the guys who fish halibut out of Victoria don't have extensive knowledge of the areas fishable with bigger tides, DO need those "special" tides in order to fish safely and effectively.

CL I agree with a lot of what you have said, but I'd say about 75-80% of the guys who fish halibut out of Victoria don't have extensive knowledge of the areas fishable with bigger tides, DO need those "special" tides in order to fish safely and effectively.

or like the rest of us in bc do... put yer boat on a trailer and go get some springs and halibut for those times that DO NOT WORK at home.

Shutting down the season for march and April (2 full months of opportunity) might extend the season 1 week during prime time - if that. The fish caught march-April are so few it doesn't effect the overall season much but provides everyone (not just Victoria residents) the opportunity to fish early.

You guys whine about what's best for ALL Canadians I argue that's a FULL SEASON. What if your from back east and only come out once per year at Christmas. How does a may-September season serve that individual? He has no rights to try for a Hali because his vacation doesn't fall during prime time?

And you guys telling us to trailer our boats elsewhere if the tides are too strong? How about YOU come visit Victoria in the spring for some early fishing. CL why not add a 4th trip to your season to Victoria in march or April? Anyone who chooses to can. I know it's not as fun as the EASY fishing lots of people like offshore but fishing isnt supposed to be easy. You think this is just about Victoria residents you don't need to be local to fish here your ALL welcome to bring your boats, hire a guide or ask somebody like me for a trip out as soon as the season opens.

I should add the Victoria/Sooke fishery is one of the only Hali fisheries where you don't need a big offshore boat to hit a bank 8 miles offshore you can catch fish from a tin boat 15 minutes out of sooke harbour. But yea let's shut down the easy access give priority to the guys who can afford $50,000 + offshore rigs (but can't afford an early season trip?)

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, Can't say i blame him, we are all defensive of our "own back yard"
and thats exactly what gov't wants.
keep us divided so they can focus on the large lobbying groups that give them money :mad:

craven, is bang on with our "lack of lobbying efforts" <> we have split ourselves into so many splinter groups, we needto organise effectively our efforts to lobby the government.

HARD on you in what way you still get to fish every day if you want to no matter tides currents so how does that effect you???IT DOESNT the TAC taken for the what you call early season is little thats whats LAUGHABLE the north looked after one thing ane one thing only yourselves and thats a FACT!!!!

Wolf

I'm sure like all of us on the S Coast,Wolf is frustrated; facts don't lie, Victoria <> Sooke has the largest concentration of sporties on WCVI, we also get hit with the most amount of closures i.e. roch fish, early spring runs...

QUOTE :I should add the Victoria/Sooke fishery is one of the only Hali fisheries where you don't need a big offshore boat to hit a bank 8 miles offshore you can catch fish from a tin boat 15 minutes out of sooke harbour. But yea let's shut down the easy access give priority to the guys who can afford $50,000 + offshore rigs (but can't afford an early season trip?)[/QUOTE]

you can do this from bamfield also... in a tinny with 10 bucks worth of fuel and a hand line....and i look forward to trailering my boat to bamsterdam hopefully in march/april to get some early hali/springs.

tagged annual limit 5-10 fish per license . restrictions based on weight is just plain stupid (in my opinion ). can't wait to here the stories of guys falling over board trying to deal with a 100lbser or cutting line because a 85lber has the treble hook down its throat... thats conservation. i guess i'm suppose to lean over board and get out my tape measure, right cause its always flat calm......

Ok im calming down a bit the worst part about all of this is the infighting and the non commitment by all of us who are sportsfishing... we shuld be backing each other up and fight for no size limits, back to the way it should be of 1 fish any per day and 2 possesion because all of the "conservation measures will only (in my opnion) will cause more fish dead thats not recordable.

WE as "sportfisherman" should be on a united front and have a common goal not be divided we seemed to be able to do it wih no problem a few years back there were 100s of people that showed up to town meetings up and down this coast fighting back we need to get back on track and get back to puuting our efforts into that, as we put a scare into DFO.
One only has to look when you make lots of noise and are united you get attention hell might even get a meeting with the prime minister all we have to do is go on a hungerstrike maybe drink luckys only???and fish broth???

All kidding aside we seem to have wandered into uncharted water and need to come back and become 1 again..

Wolf

A few pictures/videos of 60+ lbders with blood emanating from the gill region, etc. being released because "we have to" sent to an appropriate media outlet or advocacy group will go a long ways.

I support the 1/1 or 1/2 - get rid of this stupid slot size.

I think we need a common and achievable goal that we all can work on together. Obviously the fight to end this quota system is a long term battle. The one battle that will benefit us all and I think we could win more short term is to get together and get a media campaign out there against the Alaskan dragger fleet.

If our government is letting the Alaska by-catch have any effect on our TAC they are absolutely failing. The Alaska by catch should come strictly off the top of the American TAC no reason for it to effect Canadians who are not benefiting from that fishery at all.

Although we do probably buy the pollock or whatever they are catching for our fish and chips stores since the commies want a kings ransom for a fillet of halibut.

Back