Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry didn't mean to imply they only catered to well heeled fishermen, just primarily. It seems to me that the deal you quote is certainly not representative of most of their packages. I'm sure you are aware that they are a large business with high end lodges in both Canada and the Bahamas. Back to my original post though are they trying to imply they are not a big business in the quote you posted?
I think they are implying that they are not as big as the "Commercial Halibut Industry" with there lobby efforts in DFO. I'm only aware of one small lodge up north that bought into the program last year. Don't know if they will again this year as they were not aware of the position of the rest of their sector. Time will tell....
GLG

There are some lodges out there that get 0 business from rec anglers they won't care if they **** us off their customers are the big money tourists. Maybe that's not OBMG. Most rec anglers on here are not lodge clients though we have our own boats and our own problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing high end about the Princess resort. Known as the MacDonalds of fishing

There are some lodges out there that get 0 business from rec anglers they won't care if they **** us off their customers are the big money tourists. Maybe that's not OBMG. Most rec anglers on here are not lodge clients though we have our own boats and our own problems.

Not true ..... I stay at a lodge twice a year up in Nootka... I have also been to a few others.
To say that lodges get zero recreational anglers is absurd.... unless you mean whale watchers.....
Those fishing lodges are filled with Recreational anglers .... that's why they are there....
Are you saying that "all recreational anglers are equal but some are more equal then others"
Best read "animal farm" again....
GLG

I said some lodges not all lodges. Check out the price of some of the packages joe angler is not going to be a guest there.

I said some lodges not all lodges. Check out the price of some of the packages joe angler is not going to be a guest there.

Agreed I wont be in any of those $2 grand a day lodges unless my loto number comes up.
The problem is do we say "since your rich you don't get the same rights as your average Joe"
What kind of Canada do we want?
GLG

I'm not trying to say anything against the rich folk who enjoy our province my point was some lodges won't care if buying quota angers joe angler because their clients are mostly not from here and won't understand what's happening and also won't blink when that big halibut adds another $500 to their bill.

I'm not trying to say anything against the rich folk who enjoy our province my point was some lodges won't care if buying quota angers joe angler because their clients are mostly not from here and won't understand what's happening and also won't blink when that big halibut adds another $500 to their bill.

Sorry I missed your point.....
That said it's well understood that all the major lodges are not buying into the EX Hali Program.
Carry on....
GLG

That was my pt from a few pages ago. It won't affect them if rec guys hate them. Even our small operation (although not cheap) we have very very few groups of guys that have their own boat from bc. Maybe 1 all summer

That said it's well understood that all the major lodges are not buying into the EX Hali Program.
Carry on....
GLG

Yep, way more concerned about the smaller (not cheap) operations caving in and letting quota buyers on their boats.

Carry on....
GLG

Well understood by who? It's interesting that a lot of people like to talk about things that they "know" about - kind of like my friends cousins sister heard from...

We are heading that direction, to deny is ambivalent.

I am relative newbie on this forum but I am starting to see finger pointing at one of the bigger lodges on the coast that has done much to support and protect the interests of the average sportfisherman and I personally believe that to be very unfair. Representatives of O.B.M.G. have come out publicly stating that they are against leasing halibut quota and that should be it, I doubt very much that they would change their stand especially in the light of the new regulations coming down.

Well understood by who? It's interesting that a lot of people like to talk about things that they "know" about - kind of like my friends cousins sister heard from...

We are heading that direction, to deny is ambivalent.
You really need to keep up there "Skippy"
Here I'll slow down for you....
F o r - t h e - r e c o r d - w h a t - d o e s - OBMG - s a y - a b o u t - t h e - "Experimental Halibut License"
Then there’s DFO’s “experimental fishery,” which is essentially the recreational sector paying big business and quota traders for a right to catch some of their “gifted” halibut quota.

Surely DFO can’t be serious?
Lanny Sawchuk

executive vice-president,
chief operations officer
Oak Bay Marine Group
http://www.goldstreamgazette.com/opinion/letters/130204243.html?mobile=true

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares about OBMG - I didn't realize they represent all of the lodges on the BC coast. Consider the bigger picture here instead of being narrow minded. If they don't buy in then great.

Also, how many times has a company said "no way, never!" to only turn around and do the exact opposite at a later date? Conditions change and you need to adapt to keep up; fact.

Who cares about OBMG - I didn't realize they represent all of the lodges on the BC coast. Consider the bigger picture here instead of being narrow minded. If they don't buy in then great.

Also, how many times has a company said "no way, never!" to only turn around and do the exact opposite at a later date? Conditions change and you need to adapt to keep up; fact.

Ok I found one example of a large outfit and their objection to the "expermintal Halibut License" time for you to put up your evidence that someone is buying into it.
That's right your turn to prove me wrong.....
My evidence against your opinion...
Go ahead prove it...
GLG

I wonder how many operations small or large would actually refuse to fish for a person who bought their own quota. A different scenario from buying it for them, with the same outcome. Will be interesting to see after the season how it all goes down.

Dam,this is gettin good again.Im putting another bag of smart pop in the microwave...munch.munch.munch...

Lodges, guides and all rec fishers need to stick together and support the organizations that support rec fishing. All this bickering is a waste of energy.

Care to rephrase this so I can understand what you are asking me or telling me?
I know you posted this late last night so you might have been tired and your grammar was a bit off.

Everyone keeps saying 1/1 would have us run out faster...but according to many 70% of halibut in bc caught by charters and lodges...which cater to multi day guests for the very most part, probably around 90% of the time. So if it was 1/1 instead of 1/2 in terms of quantity there would be 63% less halibut caught assuming the 70% is correct (90% of 70% is 63%). Feel free to correct me

@ 1/1 the north lodges (and you Serengeti) are going to take many fish over 75 pounds. I've seen some of the slabs you have caught - good on you and your guests.

At 1/2 under the current system the most fish one angler can take is 75 pounds and that would take a miracle of catching a fish at the top of each slot limit (a 60lbr and a 15lbr) over two days. I doubt less fish will be taken under these rules but fewer pounds will certainly be taken and that's what the TAC is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back