halibut hole in Nootka

staying alive

am staying at critter cove Aug.2 for 3 days, the wife say,s bring back halibut,anyone want to cough up some co-ordinates to save a brother a lot of driving around, only have a 20' so my time on the outside will be limited

If you don't want to go outside. I would put some salmon gear down to bottom (over flat sand or gravel). Just troll like you would for salmon. You never know.

redliner

Ditto what Redliner said but I would concentrate on deeper water (not less than 150') and sandy bottoms. Lots of butts picked up like this.

Head out early, go to Bajo and fish North of the bouy, you should catch some halis or at least some great bottom fish. Plan to come back in by 1:00 pm and you can fish for salmon by the light house if the weather is not favourable. Striper Sniper

hey staying alive

For halibut, run out to beano creek its all flat sand bottom, go out around 90 ft mark. either use a spreader bar with squid or herring and drift bouncing the bottom or use you riggers and run 1 ft of the bottom with herring or chovie and a dead slow troll. dan

hey salty dog

We catch halibut over is excalanties where the water is 50 ft deep, when we are trolling for salmon. We have caught many many halibut in the 90 ft mark off beano.

dan

Mostly trolling those places on salmon gear I assume? Do many big halis come out of Nootka? Everyone seems to talk about little ones? Any insight into that?

Hey gone fishin, we have caught twin 75 pounders out at the red can buoy. Many others do come in off trolling gear

Were you jigging or trolling catching those larger ones? Do most guys use bait trolling or spoons?

We were jigging when we got the big ones. A friend loves to troll the spoons on the 150' line between the lighthouse and beano. He has good luck there with the mid size halis and gets some really nice kings that way as well.

Back