Halibut fishing from a kayak around Victoria / South Island

Steelclaw

Hi everyone,

Been getting out on the kayak lately for rock fish and lings with medium to good success. Was wondering if there are any areas that are accessible by kayak to target halibut?

Surely you are not serious?
Fishing halibut from a kayak would be a waste of time at best and tragic at worse!

Guys have done it in Alaska, it's on YouTube but I would agree it could be tragic if attempted alone by a rookie. Keeper ling are challenging enough. My buddy was complaining about the visibility of Kayakers just this weekend as we ripped along at 30mph. I would choose a really slack tide, less than 1/4 knot and the weather would have to be amazing. You would need a buoy and a harpoon. Super short rod. If I had a RED fishing style Hobie mirage drive type kayak, with a paddle, GPS Hand Held radio with DCS, flashing emergency led beacon...etc. Head out from Victoria to 200-240 feet of water, away from the shipping lanes and traffic lanes. You could even try off willows beach, they have been known to eat crab, heading into deeper waters but lots of boat traffic. Scour Navionics for deeper water not far from shore. We have been getting every one deeps so far this year which will be even more challenging.

Safety first, second and third, all the things that kaelc mentioned. Go with a friend. Launch at Weirs beach and go out off William Head or launch at Albert Head lagoon and go off the end of Albert Head.
Muir is also close to halibut grounds but the launch into the creek from the parking lot has degraded over the past couple of years. You’ll need a friend to help with launch and retrieval.

My buddy was complaining about the visibility of Kayakers just this weekend as we ripped along at 30mph.
I use a large, bright flag on a 6'pole. Very visible. No one rips along in swells.

I would try halibut fishing at Jordon River. As long as there are not large swells coming in you can put in at the river and travel a Kl +- out from the river mouth to about 60 feet deep. I've fished this area numerous times (anchored) and caught halibut in less than 50 feet deep. Fishing the ebb works best. Just be quit, you are not fishing that deep and any boat banging can be hear by the fish.

I don't know how much experience you have in a kayak, but aside from the risks of fighting a large halibut from a small kayak, there are significant risks with being well out in the Juan de Fuca in a small kayak. Current predictions are not always accurate, and if you find yourself in 6+ knots of tide and your far from shore you may have a long hard paddle home. And the wind changes very fast out there, and if against the tide, wave conditions will be over 5 or 6 feet. Probably you are already aware of this, but just sayin... :)

Hi everyone,

Been getting out on the kayak lately for rock fish and lings with medium to good success. Was wondering if there are any areas that are accessible by kayak to target halibut?
Look on YouTube seems to me a guy had a video off Oak Bay where he was catching them. I could be wrong about the location.

Nice. No one rips along in swells? How do you think people get out too swiftsure and other banks?

Airhorns are a good addition but this guy's neon yellow hat looks to be over 6 feet when he is on the gunnel.
I wouldn't consider anything under 4' a 'swell'. If someone is bouncing off those and not paying attention there is little you can do. You would not be safe in the average 18' boat.

As for the video there is no solution for those who don't respect others.

There are a few kayak guys on the south end who hunt halibut. Look on FB for Kayak fishing clubs on Vancover Island thers one on the south end and one mid island.

there are strong ebb tides and shallow at the corner of William Head. Easy to snag the rocks with lures. don't go there. Stay safe.

Back