Halibut fishing around Port Mcneil

blink2u4i

Hi ,we are considering draggin the boat up to Port McNeil ,when we go visit some old friends,(they don't fish),was wondering if anyone had any idea's of where to fish some Halibut,and do they anchor ,or drift up in that area?Thanks for any help!

Far side of Malcolm island can be good and over toward the mainland inlets. Be careful of the RCAs in the area. Drifting is most popular but as long as you are not messing up a salmon tack you should be alright.

Whats an RCA ??

Seriously????

Rockfish Conservation Area.....Lots around here.

As for hali, any flat spot with 150-250+ of water aroound here will hold hali. The south end and back side of Malcolm Island, in front of the Hardy Airport and Taylor/Georgie banks are all places to start.

Cheers

SS

Yeah seriously. Why does everything have to be like a text message?
Was it a big deal to spell it out?

Thanks for that.
Ttyl
Leo

Nope was not that hard....I missed the smiley face I was to put after that....

Usually it a joke about old records and electronics made by RCA.....

Cheers

SS

Yeah seriously. Why does everything have to be like a text message?
Was it a big deal to spell it out?

Thanks for that.
Ttyl
Leo

RCA is a very well known and common abbreviation. I would be cautious with that kind of criticism.

Sorry about that. Please forgive my ignorance. I will try to be more sensitive to others' feelings.

Now back to the real world.

Leo

Nothing personal but if you did not know what RCA stands for you need to get more familiar with the saltwater fishing regulations as there is probably some other important information/ regulations that you are not aware of. RCA is a common term you will find in the saltwater fishing regulations and the DFO website.

Excellent response GDW. I have informed many boats this year already that they "are" fishing in an RCA. Recieved many "what' that" and worse comments. Lets all read the regs a little closer. Just my thaught.

HM

Lighten up a bit. I know where the conservation areas are in the areas I fish. I have never been to port McNeil and thought maybe something different.
Just wanted clarification.

So, back to the original topic, any hints on HCA (halibut catching area) haha:)

Leo

I think the back side of Malcolm island has a nice chicken area...Just never fished it before but I have heard from a few people that there is a spot or two back there...May need some confirmation on where exactly off of Malcolm.

Seriously????

Rockfish Conservation Area.....Lots around here.

As for hali, any flat spot with 150-250+ of water aroound here will hold hali. The south end and back side of Malcolm Island, in front of the Hardy Airport and Taylor/Georgie banks are all places to start.

Cheers

SS

This is good info... get rid of the attitude and you might learn something haha!! (sorry, cant find a smiley)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lighten up a bit. I know where the conservation areas are in the areas I fish. I have never been to port McNeil and thought maybe something different.
Just wanted clarification.

So, back to the original topic, any hints on HCA (halibut catching area) haha:)

Leo

they dont call them RCA's in your area?

Look for the longlines and jig near them :)

People are reluctant to give up their hali spots at the best of times. It's even harder when you go on the defensive when somebody is just trying to inform you of local regulations and save you from a hefty fine and the embarassement of being tied up o Mr. DFO while you recieve it. Next time your looking for local info, be greatful if you get any at all ( especially when it comes to halis), and if they inform you of conservation regulation, kindly ask them to circle it on your chart. It's better than recieving a huge fine when you were unaware that you were doing anything illegal.

Hey Chovy1 ,me being the original poster of this thread,are very gratefull for the any info,and I would not expect anyone to give up their secret spots,just alittle help so a guy doesn't spend his whole time hunting .As a guy that spends his time fishing the wcvi,the RCA also tripped me up abit ,glad that someone else asked the question,I will pay close attention to those RCA areas!!!!So thanks for the input guys!!

Blink when are u heading up there? I am goin the week before Aug long, so if u are earlier u could scope it out for me, i have pulled a couple off Lizard point on Malcolm, also have heard of people catching them off Donegal Head on Malcolm, although I have never gotten one there.

Fishing on the mainland side from mcneil has been great. One of the guys got a monster. 88" tall going by the charts it was over 300 lbs dwarfed the 80lber. I have the pictures to prove it.

Tincup,We are going to try to be up there 1-2wk in July,so I'll drop a post on the outcome ,when I get back,Thanks for the info guys

Back