Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Program

When they offload, a scale and a calculator or if the girl is sharp, she can tally it up with a pencil and paper. There's supposed to be a dfo official or contracted person there to watch and check the figures.

THey also have video catch monitoring, to be fair. The numbers reported are fairly accurate. Can they hide fish - yes. But not that likely. Where you get unreported is off other boats not fishing hali and they can scoop the by-catch fairly easily.

Too Much Quota

The way i see it, if the quota holders have quota to sell they have too much in the first place. Commercial Halibut quota should be placed where it will generate the most economic value to Canada.

Commercial Halibut quota should be placed where it will generate the most economic value to Canada.

Be careful what you wish for Hourston. The real issue is fair access to the resource for Canadians. Foreign anglers bring new money to the country. Commercially caught exported fish does also. Most residents of Canada will spend the majority of their disposable income in Canada whether they fish or not. Add in an American boat with a Japanese motor, some Penn reels and Shimano rods and now it is costing the country for some of us to catch a halibut. I know it is much more complicated than my simplistic economics, but your logic would give all the fish to guides with foreign guests and/or commercial harvesters. I would like to have 2 or 3 per year please.

Be careful what you wish for Hourston. The real issue is fair access to the resource for Canadians. Foreign anglers bring new money to the country. Commercially caught exported fish does also. Most residents of Canada will spend the majority of their disposable income in Canada whether they fish or not. Add in an American boat with a Japanese motor, some Penn reels and Shimano rods and now it is costing the country for some of us to catch a halibut. I know it is much more complicated than my simplistic economics, but your logic would give all the fish to guides with foreign guests and/or commercial harvesters. I would like to have 2 or 3 per year please.
Agree. How much do those three Halibut cost you ? It is still money spent..

Here is the thing, I talked to Tamee somewhere at DFO and had a real interesting ....say TALK. It is illeagle to sell the halibut that are caught off of purchased quota period. I dont think it is up for debate that any rate increase from a guide or lodge is recovering that cost and therefore selling fish. The whole idea is real hard to even fathom. Who ever thought this up at fisheries or where ever is as stunned as the day is long. Any guide or lodge that supports this should be boycotted. Just my 2 cents.

Here is the thing, I talked to Tamee somewhere at DFO and had a real interesting ....say TALK. It is illeagle to sell the halibut that are caught off of purchased quota period. I dont think it is up for debate that any rate increase from a guide or lodge is recovering that cost and therefore selling fish. The whole idea is real hard to even fathom. Who ever thought this up at fisheries or where ever is as stunned as the day is long. Any guide or lodge that supports this should be boycotted. Just my 2 cents.

YIP - no Rocket Scientists there. Not particularly well thought out...and even more reasons to boycott the whole cluster.

I wonder how far up the minister's keester would this program go if it was given a good shove!

Tami is the one that came up with this fantastic program in the first place. She has never fished or held a rod in her hands yet is in charge of putting a program to together to help the rec sector, go figure. Absolutely no repercussions for her program and a ton of wasted money. How much did this program cost to put together? Most likely was enough money to lease us enough quota to get us through he season. Just another bone head move by our lovely DFO

I dont think it is up for debate that any rate increase from a guide or lodge is recovering that cost and therefore selling fish.

Did she actually say that directly, or is that what you inferred? I understand the logic of your argument, but unless they said that specifically, I'd be surprised if that is how they intend to enforce this. Direct sale of fish to 3rd parties is certainly prohibited (setting up a roadside stand, putting a sign on your boat at dock, selling to restaurants or supermarkets, etc). But not allowing guides to pass on the quota cost to parties that are fishing on their boat? That's a stretch. And with how they've structured this, how would they ever enforce it anyway -- the quota is paid for 2-12 months later.

Again, not suggesting I support this policy. Just thinking through how it might play out.

Tami is the one that came up with this fantastic program in the first place. She has never fished or held a rod in her hands yet is in charge of putting a program to together to help the rec sector, go figure. Absolutely no repercussions for her program and a ton of wasted money. How much did this program cost to put together? Most likely was enough money to lease us enough quota to get us through he season. Just another bone head move by our lovely DFO

absolutley right Wade....
The costs to set up a program could of been better spent to solve this problem short term....
No accountability.....that's why it happens

If they are concerned about the number of halibut, why not cut back on some of the quotas? And take away licenses from the guys that sit at home and lease it out without getting off their a!! And fishing it. If there wasn't so many quotas out there would it not make it more profitable for the guys that actually get out on the water and work for their money? And if they do lease it out then make them pay a percentage for enhancement. Don't take the hand full of peanuts the sports fishermen get and say that is solving the problem.

If you think about it if we can buy quota it tells me that they can not sell it all anyways or fish it all. so instead of leaving it in the water sell it to us. if thats the case at 7.65 mil pounds how much was left when it was a higher TAC

If you think about it if we can buy quota it tells me that they can not sell it all anyways or fish it all. so instead of leaving it in the water sell it to us. if thats the case at 7.65 mil pounds how much was left when it was a higher TAC

And by not being able to sell it all would drive the price down wouldn't it? So if you cut back on quota that Should bring the demand and price for the fishermen up would it not? Then again the price off the boats is pretty damn high for what you get.

Then again the price off the boats is pretty damn high for what you get.

The boats DO NOT set the price either dockside (damn tough to do these days btw) nor in the supermarket. Those that sit off to one side and Speculate in the manner of stock market trading are always trying to get the absolute maximum into their pockets for every single pound. It is they who dictate (for Dictate it is!) the price of lease quota to the actual fishermen, who in turn must then pass that along to the Buyer, who then in turn passes that along to the Market. Cozy little scam when you're sitting at the top. EVERYONE else pays through the nose. Real Fishermen, and every single consumer who buys the product pays directly into the pockets of the absentee Fish Brokers. What an effing Mess!

The price to all could be substantially lowered simply by doing away with the Speculators. Well past time for the Use It Or Lose It program to do away with these Rip-Off Artists!

Also somewhat funny (almost that is) that when their "right" to hold and lease quota without fishing it is questioned, they SCREAM just how much every single ounce is needed for the fishery to survive. But when Shea offers another angle for them to lease at a profit, well Guess What? Suddenly "quota can be made available". Lying Fat-assed Swine!

DO NOT BUY INTO THIS SCAM Folks! Tell them to stuff that possibility right back where it came from!
6.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Its my understanding that OBMG , as part of the Halibut Coalition has also told DFO to put it where the sun dont shine. Perhaps Chris Bos can confirm this???

It's a fact that the top 5 lodges in BC are not or will not even consider the idea of leasing quota- OBMG being one of thoses top 5 lodges- at this point I don't know of any lodge even considering it-not going to happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth would a lodge or guide buy quota - they can't ever charge the client the per pound price they would have to pay the quota holder...that would be commercial fishing and the license isn't good for that. If you did it, you would be charged. So where's the economics for the OBMG if they pay $5 per pound for a 50 pound hali - they can't eat the cost of paying the slipper skipper $250 when they are only charging $900 for a charter, spending $200 for the guide, $250 for fuel. That adds up to $700 in expenses and only $200 to pay for the capital cost depreciation on the vessel plus additional operating expenses. They would be losing money. The whole experimental license is seriously flawed. DFO was smoking something that ain't legal if they actually thought anyone would buy quota.

I hate to cross post but I think I need to put this one on this thread also. GLG

Halibut News flash from the future

Jan 1, 2012
From the office of John Duncan
Minister of Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada

I am pleased today to announce that last year’s experimental halibut fishery has been a great success. I have meet with retired halibut fisherman and found that they will not be seeking financial assistance again this year if the experimental halibut fishery continues. With this knowledge I have meet with all stakeholders, and except for recreational and active halibut fishers, we have agreement on all sides that this program should continue. Therefore today I am happy to announce that for the 2012 and forward the experimental halibut fishery will be come permanent. The new name for the fishery will be “ Canadian Halibut Integrated TAC” or CHIT for short. In anticipation to many questions I know you may have I have enclosed this short Q&A for your review.

Q- What is the purpose of the CHIT halibut fishery and what is being accomplished?
A- The CHIT halibut fishery will be market-based mechanism that allows an CHIT licence holder to acquire halibut quota from the retired commercial sector to fish for recreational purposes. The slipper skippers will have a steady income for themselves and their future generations and they can be assured not to have to work for a living.

Q-How will this CHIT halibut fishery work?
A-CHIT halibut licences are being made available for the rest of time (your kids will thank us). In addition to the regular tidal water sport fishing licence, recreational harvesters can obtain an CHIT halibut licence, on a mandatory basis, that will allow the licence holder to lease halibut quota from retired commercial harvesters, thereby giving them certainty for retirement planning purposes. The additional quota associated with the CHIT halibut licence will allow individual recreational harvesters to fish beyond the current limits of a standard recreational license (a daily limit of 1/2 and possession limit of 1), up to the amount of additional quota acquired on the CHIT halibut licence.

Q-How will recreational harvesters be able to access commercial quota?
A-The Department will work with participants in the permanent program to direct them to the appropriate information. Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada annually publishes a list of 435 commercial halibut licence holders, including the person or company that holds the license and quota. Due to privacy issues this list has been crypto graphed and you will need special glasses to see it. Glasses can be purchased in person at our Tuktoyaktuk office only.

Q- How will we be able to find commercial harvesters willing to sell quota?
A- The Jim Pattison Group of Companies working with DFO will make available, at all there locations, a coupon book for halibut quota. Pricing has been confirmed and we are happy to report a special rate of ten dollars + HST per pound. The new coupon books will be called the “Pension on Ocean Halibut” or POOH for short.

Q- Can I take this CHIT and POOH and stick it up your…… where the sun don’t shine?
A- Currently DFO is not accepting ideas as that’s not the process. If you would like to get involved with the process you can waste your time in countless meetings that are put on for show in you community. The decisions are made back east with the lobbyists that are currently paid by the commercial fishing organizations.

Q-I’m a retired halibut fisherman what’s in it for me.
A-You lucky ******* keep your mouth shut and maybe if we get re-elected you will keep those pension funds rolling in. Better yet send letters to the local papers with your distorted view on how we should run this Canadian Commercial Resource.

Q-I just want to go and have a chance to catch a couple of Halibut what do I have to do?
A- You will have to take CHIT and POOH from us until we have a new Minister.

Cheers GLG,

Can you come over here and do a laundry as I just used my last 3 clean towels to wipe all the tears as I was laughing so hard! Wonderful stuff and thank you for your efforts! Please advise when you first book reaches the stands as I want to be first in line.

The sad part is that this "wonderful DFO" provides such a source of materials for your efforts! :(

Back