Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Program

Saw this ad in province this morning
For Sale: Recreational Halibut Quota Available at
Recreational Halibut Quota Available at www.IQMI.ca Ad Placed on Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province .

Saw this ad in province this morning
For Sale: Recreational Halibut Quota Available at
Recreational Halibut Quota Available at www.IQMI.ca Ad Placed on Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province .

It's in many of the local papers:mad: most likely a group of slipper skippers adding more fuel to the fire...sammy

They don't... they own the right to go fishing, and I'd be willing to pay to have some of that right. Heck it doesn't have to be a commercial guy... I'd be willing to buy the right to catch and retain sockeye, from another recreational fisherman that doesn't fish for sockeye, or a recreational fisherman that just catches and releases. (although I think catch and release sockeye fishermen should be shot)

Why should I care how the person I'm buying from benefits? If I want to buy a new boat I don't care that the salesman is making a commission, I just want the boat at the best price.

You seem to view this as a moral issue, I just see it as a new market opportunity.

careful there alwaysfishn. the troll spray may might come out. A good part of the participants here do a great job of complaining and shooting every effort for change down, but has little in the way of solutions or thinking outside the box. all you will find is "take it away" that is about as far as many have gotten. Pay no mind that the majority of the quotas have been bought and sold the answer again...."we don't care take it away and give it to us". oh yeah they have modified it a bit to "take it away from the slipper skippers".

on another note about the sockeye.... I think you have found a good solution. A market based mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
careful there alwaysfishn. the troll may might come out. .

How touching fish4u a little troll bonding with your understudy...sammy

careful there alwaysfishn. the troll may might come out. This group on here does a great job of complaining and shooting every effort for change down, but has little in the way of solutions or thinking outside the box. all you will find is "take it away" that is about as far as this group has gotten. Pay no mind that the majority of the quotas have been bought and sold the answer again...."we don't care take it away and give it to us". oh yeah they have modified it a bit to "take it away from the slipper skippers".

on another note about the sockeye.... I think you have found a good solution. A market based mechanism.

Can you tell me how any ITQ fisheries are beneficial to any sector please?

They're multiplying!!!

Jeez, f4a, why do we have to find the solutions too. Isn't it enough that we recognize the problem, stand up for our beliefs, and make a small change? For a "group" made up of strangers (for the most part) with no organized leadership, and a membership who disagrees internally on almost everything, I'd say we did a fine job. Certainly a lot more constructive than your solution, which is to be a poor loser and publicly insult the rest of us.

For what it's worth, I think economic analysis has its place. But not in every single debate or discussion.

And as for shooting guys who C&R sox, it makes you sound like you're neverfishn. FYI: recreational soc fishn has a very high rate of lost fish, so there is really not much difference, from the hook and release perspective, between meat fishn and C&R.

Can you tell me how any ITQ fisheries are beneficial to any sector please?

Don't look them in the eye Lippy! You might turn to stone!

These are price-of-everything and value-of-nothing types. They can cook up a "fair market" answer for anything. Ideologues who can't bring real "analysis" to any issue. Just ignore them and it will seem like they've gone away.

Thanx Charlie,you're a scholar & a gentleman... here's back at ya :) x 5...sammy

Don't look them in the eye Lippy! You might turn to stone!

These are price-of-everything and value-of-nothing types. They can cook up a "fair market" answer for anything. Ideologues who can't bring real "analysis" to any issue. Just ignore them and it will seem like they've gone away.

Wouldn't be bad to have a discussion rather than the random stabs from the dark??
I have no problem listening to other views....

I commercial fished and respect the sector... If I remember correctly you put some time in too.

As F4A says..."Don't poke the hornets nest" :rolleyes:

Looks like there is just as much confusion, dissatisfaction and legal muddle with the quota system in the U.K. as there is here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13682451

http://www.arrancoast.com/news/newsletters/96.html

Seems like no one has a solution as to how to fairly allocate a finite public resource, while at the same time preventing a "free-for-all" that depletes the resource. Quota's are clearly not the answer, as it ends up privatising the resource everywhere it has been tried.......

Sorry Lip, I didn't mean to stifle a reasoned discussion. Just didn't expect it from these personas on this topic; I think I know what we'll hear about it. You are right about poking the nest though....

Re the com. sector, yes I did do my turn, and loved it. Still feel like I have one foot in a boot, and I am behind continued industrial harvest all the way.

No apologies needed S2 :)

I'm pretty sure (if) what would be coming too.

PM yer #

Com' on folks, don't you have anything to add to the discussion? Other than a few comments all I'm getting is chirping... :confused:

I realize that I've somewhat hijacked the thread, but it seemed to have died a death of it's own and my musings are related to the topic.

If I didn't know that this was a discussion forum, the impression I'd be getting is that unless I agree with some of the vocal posters, that my comments are not welcome. :confused:

I'm not sure, but I may be experiencing hurt feelings.... ;)

Geeze,glad to wake up this morning had a nightmare last night it involved the slipper skippers...we were about to set off for our annual hali trip & were met at the ramp by the dfo,a group of slipper skippers(aka trolls) along with a few touts(mp's)& butt.cronnies (af)demanding we buy a quota to pay for the right to catch our(Can. ppl) fish...Woke up in a cold sweat ,wife poking me...me yelling "you won't get another red cent outa me" the last thing I remember was a wave of sportsfisherman bearring harpoons/rods steaming out of the harbour towards the fishing grounds...Ironic isn't it today being Canada Day...Happy Canada Day all

...sammy

hey f4a, what crawled up your butt?, reel classy, not even gonna comment on your post as its pretty pointless, kinda like your existence on this planet lol, AF, what it comes down to is ones personal beliefs, morals and ethics, of course i think its a bad idea, just like i think its a bad idea for the halibut to be privatized, you guys can say all you want that the commercially allocated portion of fish isnt owned all you want, sorry to tell ya yer wrong, but yer wrong, technically its not owned but cmon we all know the truth, how can you buy and sell something if you dont own it?, guess thats the billion dollar question eh?, privatizating any Canadian natural resource is wrong in my opinion, especially fish and water....holmes*

not to worry AF, im just getting warmed up, and as far as ppl not commenting, i think most ppl are just shaking their heads at this hairbrain idea.....

Why is it a hair brained idea?

careful there alwaysfishn. the troll may might come out. This group on here does a great job of complaining and shooting every effort for change down, but has little in the way of solutions or thinking outside the box. all you will find is "take it away" that is about as far as this group has gotten. Pay no mind that the majority of the quotas have been bought and sold the answer again...."we don't care take it away and give it to us". oh yeah they have modified it a bit to "take it away from the slipper skippers".

Hey fish4all I have 2 words for you - care to guess what they might be?

H.E.H.

too bad ya woke up b4 ya saw holmes backing down a 46 footer rite over them and tossing them in the bait hold for use in catching hali, prawns and crab,oopsy daisy,lol:D....hollmes*

yah,don't worry holmsey your name crossed my mind...besides, pissed off humans are capable of anything...the ball is just starting to pick up speed...when given the chance i tell everyone about our plight...hell even the ones who don't want to listen...take today for example instead of fishing i made a point to head down to the gorge Canada day picnic & bend every ear i could...if that what it takes folks get out there & let people know the rights of every Canadian are being squandered to line the pockets of a chosen few...sammy

look at the halibut mess as a perfect example, its a slippery slope, once you start down that path where/when does it end?, when we end up like the east coast?, if we start down that road AF, we will eventually have to be asking commies permission for the right to access a resource that is supposed to be available for all Canadians to access, i dont think its rite and it goes against my and many others basic principles regarding fish and fishing rights.....just go buy the fish from the store or go back the next day and fish for more....holmes*

I'd accept that as a rational argument, but I've seen how irrational you can be in your hate towards the canucks.... ;)

Back