HALIBUT CLOSURE

Don’t they already have that incorporated into the app?
Not really! An app that only a few folks have and is voluntary,if we 're speaking about the one I'm thinking of, is no better and perhaps even worse than a fly over. It would be interesting to see how many people use the app you are speaking of and more interesting to see how many fill out a log. It needs to be mandated, a condition of license renewal !

Firm believer need to do something like Vic harbour blockade etc. Only way things get done these days and I’d be there 100%

Civil protests that get some media attention are the only way we will see any change or even get the minister to sit down and take us seriously
Yup, that would cost the economy about a buck and a half lol. If that's your plan, wrong port!

Yup, that would cost the economy about a buck and a half lol. If that's your plan, wrong port!
Ever counted the seaplanes coming in and out of Vic Harbour? Can't land or take off if the Harbour is plugged with boats. Whole mess of politicians won't be able to get to work.

Not too sure you have spent much time in front of Vic harbour......it is bc's 2nd busiest cruise ship terminal.....couple international ferries and a huge whale watching business. All in a manageable entrance to be able to stage a blockade......I think you may be incorrect in your buck and a half. Economically port of van is definitely bigger but from a viewpoint angle victoria would garner the most attention

Ever counted the seaplanes coming in and out of Vic Harbour? Can't land or take off if the Harbour is plugged with boats. Whole mess of politicians won't be able to get to work.
Then there is the other harbour, the one that is the busiest cargo port on the West Coast of North America. Billions of trade flows in and out of it, from all over Canada.
The gateway to the Pacific! The connection between Canada and Asia! To be honest if I'm the Federal Government, I could care less about about you plugging the harbour in Victoria and stopping the Provincial government from sitting ( until the next ferry).Fisheries is Federal, Victoria harbour is insignificant to them!

Not too sure you have spent much time in front of Vic harbour......it is bc's 2nd busiest cruise ship terminal.....couple international ferries and a huge whale watching business. All in a manageable entrance to be able to stage a blockade......I think you may be incorrect in your buck and a half. Economically port of van is definitely bigger but from a viewpoint angle victoria would garner the most attention
Too much time lol. Fact is it's a relatively minor port compared with its neighbour with similar cruise ship business in the summer, but no real cargo! It would take a hell of a lot of boats to block Ogden Point, but if that works for you, go for it. Whale watching?..

Can’t even agree to what port. Come onnnn guys. Jesus. Vancouver port, too big, good luck blocking that :p Vic would garner media attention obviously.
Heck, why not Sidney or Sooke lol! Easier and no one is too bothered lol! That'll get the Feds attention!

Heck, why not Sidney or Sooke lol! Easier and no one is too bothered lol! That'll get the Feds attention!

There is only one interest group that could ever get away with having a blockade under lions gate bridge and it aint us. We already get in their way enough with fishing the cap and it don't take much to have harbor patrol and the VPD on you Or if you are talking about blocking Surrey port we already do that with 200+ boats fishing at Sandheads.

This is not a battle we want to get into for Halibut you can't even fish for in area 29/28.

Well for starters, I suggest you all join SVIAC or another active advocacy group. They are the ones that can make the difference IF they have all of your support. If you are not member yet of any of the few active sportfishing advocacy groups then you have no right to speak up here and demand any changes.

I would like to see sviac evolve into one for the whole coast. And I’d join in a second at the very least change the name in my opinion

But Vic port it is.... should be in the early spring ... figure out a way to arrange it in a little more secretive way
Well if you want maximum impact, the summer tourist / cruise ship season would make far more sense. I'd say June, or better yet July or August ,shut it down during the peak season right? Shutting down the harbour in the Spring would not have much impact. As for people saying protesting in Vancouver doesn't work! Well ask Greenpeace!

Well if you want maximum impact, the summer tourist / cruise ship season would make far more sense. I'd say June, or better yet July or August ,shut it down during the peak season right? Shutting down the harbour in the Spring would not have much impact. As for people saying protesting in Vancouver doesn't work! Well ask Greenpeace!

I think it is great but we have to be real. It will grab very negative attention in the media and will most likely backfire. The public perception right now is that fish stocks are decline. The environmental campaigns have been quite effective of getting this message out there. The other negative is we would really have to bust our butt to get even 100 boats. I mean Victoria we can't even get over 200 to any meeting, so I doubt you would get that many. From being in effective demonstrations the media will take advantage of the size of demonstration and also focus on the negative of blocking any businesses.

To be clear a harbour blockade was never my idea. I was in favour of letter writing lol. My last couple of posts merely pointed out that if there was to be a blockade Victoria was a poor choice to get Federal Attention.

In regards to getting boats out, as I said earlier the average law abiding Canadian citizen is so used to getting screwed over, that they will likely just take it, unlike the special interest groups,and the powers to be know that.

By the way, don't assume the media will ignore or deride a small protest. If you ever notice on the news, the shot of the protesters is usually close up,because a wider angle shot would show just how few there are. Very seldom are the protests major events, but watching the news you'd never know it.

The point about conservation is a valid one. If however Canadians are educated as to how the current quota system works, how the government gave their resource to a handful of non fishing fishermen and the fact that no one is asking for a bigger harvest, just a realistic reallocation of the current one, I think they would come onside. I think our main goal should be to inform Canadians about the ITQ system, most people are blissfully unaware.

Think East Coast and how well they get the Ministers attention.

The other option is a full time person in Ottawa which costs lots of money.
However the commercial sector does this and it sure works for them.

A blockade as Spring Velocity states is more likely to backfire because we would be perceived by the public as just a greedy bunch wanting to continue to over fish the ocean stocks to even lower levels. You have the SRKW issue going on right now with not enough Chinook salmon to feed them....it will all get intertwined by the media. Just interview a couple of rednecks and the whole effort and message is lost. As Chris 73 says join an advocacy group that speaks on your behalf on the issues you want to be brought forward. SVIAC was mentioned by Serengeti...this group started and concentrates on the south Island because this is where the most severe restrictions on the recreational fishery exist. This group decided to be proactive and not just sit back and watch our local fisheries become increasingly more restrictive and watch fish populations continue to decline without a fight. Why not start a NVIAC? Local people with local knowledge working on local issues. Is that not what you would want? Obviously there would be cross over on many issues (Fraser River Chinook for one) and the groups could work together on those and become an even stronger unified voice.

Back