HALIBUT CLOSURE

Effective Nov 26; commercial halibut have 469,872 lbs left in the water – 213,634lb overages = net 256,238 lb that can be carried over for next year. (note – there could still be adjustments made)

Do any folks know when we will hear what 2018 TAC will be? Also what the regulations for the 2018 Halibut season will be? I looked through some of the threads & didn't find anything.

Well, January IPHC meetings are nearing. TAC will be determined, and SAB will do their best to establish a fishery plan that will meat the guiding principles set forth with the inclusion of local SFAC"s and that will meat the approval of DFO.

Throw in the rising concern with "Bi catch" mortality, projected salmon availability,etc,etc , and this sounds like a daunting task. I know lots happens and much changes between DEC and January. That said, after the IPHC preliminary meetings it would seem that Status quo could be a challenge.We will not know till after main meetings.

If guiding principles stay the same , IE.(achieving a full season Feb 1 to dec 31 being one that was re visited) then can we expect further restrictions on size and total per year? Will DFO allocate more than 15% to the rec sector? Despite a desire to do the opposite will more people be driven toward the foolish XRQ. Will we find ourselves working harder to establish a method of BUYING quota? This is just a few of the questions that come to my mind. Guess we will see soon enough.

For the record, I have always said, I strongly feel that any movement toward buying quota or the XRQ is just feeding the snake and will come at a significant cost long term.

Here is a link to an article from 2016 I believe. It is another pretty good depiction and explanation of what I have always said is the head of the snake.Take a couple min to read or re-read. Yes it is from the perspective of working commercial fishers, but it all is directly affecting our steady decline in access to OUR common property resource.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/01/11/Who-Controls-Fisheries/

Last edited:
Definitely lots more questions than answers at this point. Another one is if by miracle we get status quo for rec sector are we willing to take a risk of a Sept shutdown and keep same bag limits? Overall, my last few days were halibut-less but I would take that risk instead of one halibut limits or smaller size limits.

20% AT LEAST has to be the main goal though.

Personally I'm against a September closure, but if that's the plan DFO needs to start publishing it's TAC expenditures monthly as opposed to deciding on Labour Day weekend all the TAC has been used up.I call BS on that whole cluster. If they were tracking the numbers as they claim,then why hide the decision until Labour Day. I admit to being angry because I was waiting until the fall. But if this is going to be the new norm then I plan on not making the same mistake and I'm sure I'm not alone. So maybe even a September closure is optimistic?

I know a lot of fisher-men/women who feel burned by the closure who guarantee they won't get burned again. We will be lucky to make it through the summer with 15%. That my friends is a fact.

Personally I'm against a September closure, but if that's the plan DFO needs to start publishing it's TAC expenditures monthly as opposed to deciding on Labour Day weekend all the TAC has been used up.I call BS on that whole cluster. If they were tracking the numbers as they claim,then why hide the decision until Labour Day. I admit to being angry because I was waiting until the fall. But if this is going to be the new norm then I plan on not making the same mistake and I'm sure I'm not alone. So maybe even a September closure is optimistic?

Unless the SFAC feedback on the guiding principles Was of a majority opinion that A shorter season over a full season is preferable or better put necessary to avoid further restrictions, I do not think the plan would be to deliberately manage the TAC to a sept closure. We would more likely see the plan to be to achieve a full feb to dec31 season. That is why I ask what restrictions we may see if TAC stays the same or even decreases.

Last edited:
I know a lot of fisher-men/women who feel burned by the closure who guarantee they won't get burned again. We will be lucky to make it through the summer with 15%. That my friends is a fact.

Agree, in fact there will be more and more people resort to fishing Halibut when they want to
whatever closure present.
They will just take their chances....

Unless the SFAC feedback on the guiding principles Was of a majority opinion that A shorter season over a full season is preferable or better put necessary to avoid further restrictions, I do not think the plan would be to deliberately manage the TAC to a sept closure. We would more likely see the plan to be to achieve a full feb to dec31 season. That is why I ask what restrictions we may see if TAC stays the same or even decreases.
I can't see it opening in Feb of 2018! In the past the Feb opening has been under the previous years rules, with the new slot limits and catch limits kicking in on April 1st. If this is the case and it runs on a fiscal as opposed to calendar year, then I suspect we will remain closed until the new fiscal year. Hope I'm wrong!

I can't see it opening in Feb of 2018! In the past the Feb opening has been under the previous years rules, with the new slot limits and catch limits kicking in on April 1st. If this is the case and it runs on a fiscal as opposed to calendar year, then I suspect we will remain closed until the new fiscal year. Hope I'm wrong!

To date it has run by calendar year. Meaning from feb to end of dec. late starts have come from lack of time for management planning and time frame for printing /re wording conditions of licence. You are correct that from opening date until April 1 wen new licenses take affect previous rules apply. Main reason for this is that things like the slot and annual limits are a condition of license. It would take a variation order to deviate from a condition of license.

Due to late date of IPHC meeting this year I also will be surprised to see a Feb first opening. However if a full traditional season is what we will attempt to mange to, we will see it open as soon after TAC is established as possible.
All that said I fear unless an adjustment to allocation is seen we will not overly like what we see. And yes I agree also Scott that more people will be prone to make bad choices. Either poaching or leasing through the xrq etc.

Last edited:
I have to question wether DFO saw managing to a full season as a priority. If as they claim they saw the TAC being used up too quickly, why not any effort to adjust regulations as they do for salmon? It may well be the desire of those who represent the recreational fishermen to have a full season and I certainly support that, but I think last year DFO showed it had other priorities. The whole Labour Day fiasco DFO sprung on us is last year is very suspect IMO! Timing of the closure and short notice seems (pun intended) very fishy!

New regulations on the Gulf of Alaska halibut charter industry could reduce the number of days operators are able to spend on the water.

The North Pacific Fishery Management Council, which regulates the charter industry in the Gulf and Southeast Alaska, unanimously approved shutting down fishing on seven Tuesdays between June 19 and Aug. 21 at its annual meeting Thursday.

Recent surveys show that halibut stocks from California to Alaska dropped about 24 percent in 2017. Regulators are expected to reduce how many fish charter and commercial fishermen are allowed to catch later this winter

I have to question wether DFO saw managing to a full season as a priority. If as they claim they saw the TAC being used up too quickly, why not any effort to adjust regulations as they do for salmon? It may well be the desire of those who represent the recreational fishermen to have a full season and I certainly support that, but I think last year DFO showed it had other priorities. The whole Labour Day fiasco DFO sprung on us is last year is very suspect IMO! Timing of the closure and short notice seems (pun intended) very fishy!

I think as far as DFO is concerned they are only obligated to mange the fishery to the TAC. I personally don’t think they care if that is done in 10months or 7. I also believe the SFAB honestly thought DFO would operate on some
Good will concidering the consecutive underages. I do know from past meetings that there was hesitation to implement a variance. Enforcement was one of the reasons I remember being sited.

For what it is worth I have always thought it odd that we don’t have a Halibut season from April first to end of oct or nov.
I understand the desire by South Island folks to utilize the tides that feb and March provide. I also hate to suggest more cuts to access,but in this case a season that runs parallel to the majority of rockfish and ling cod seasons only makes sense. The lbs of TAC saved might have a little influence on size restriction. Maybe??

All things considered I agree with Serengeti. A minimum of a 5% increase in sport allocation must be priority as to where our effort is directed.

Well there's no doubt that an April to October season would please the northern lodges and guiding industry up there.That pretty much would nicely cover their operational season. Worst case scenario the season closes after their clientele has peaked and they're shutting down anyway.But,as you state, maybe not so great for the local fishermen on the South Island or a Lower Mainland and I think that's a substantial number of people.

More TAC would be nice.

Last edited:
Hey Ukee, hi all,

Merry Christmas Happy New Year and such everyone.

Quotas and leave rest for sport fishing sounds good.

So lets get a good debate going to close this forum off for the year!@

So why stop at Halibut? What about ALL the ocean-faring the species, shellfish included?
By what the conservationists are saying, and from my personal observation; unless we seriously examine species conservation of ALL fisheries, there wont be a fishery for the children of our grandchildren.
And I have three grand-kids, and was a commercial fisherman in my youth - to give some perspective.

Certainly there are even some of our native brothers that might be willing to help as well , insuring that all humans adhere to the quotas? And switch to sports fishing ( low impact - high tourist dollar return as well all know) and strict all-encompassing quotas - no exceptions with serious consequences for poachers.
Maybe they could use their powerful public influence and political pull to sway the government and various departments into insuring the survival of our fisheries?
I know a solid native guy named Woody and Musqueam who has modern, realistic and educated views on the subject. There must be more like him.

I understand some people will lose their jobs, and may be forced to move to eco-tourism, and sport fish guiding, dropping their commercial fishing careers , with far more realistic and tight quotas in place.
I moved on, I am sure they can as well.
Personally observing a slow and steady decline ( and in some cases disappearance -like the colourful perch in Pender Harbour etc.) in all species in the last 50 years that saddens me to the core of my being.

It would just suck if more species die off and we cant take our grand-kids fishing - been some of the VERY best times of my life, and good eats as well.

Comments?

Willow-bee.

Too all the people saying we need to get more quota. I’m just curious how we would get it from the commercial sector?
Pretty sure that has been tried for a few years

Back