Hali Rigs

Kent K

AF1QipPozkQ3kGjulqxVGPAQ4FjbPxgzOTsXlRFk2q48
I'm playing with making up some new hali rigs in 200lb mono. I don't like how the top hook rides out when sandwiched between the bead and crimp. Any suggestions? First pic I uploaded. I hope it works.
AF1QipNAFhHOF5SMKLQ6ESSIQSd1LTAZMcaKQL0FyXKM
AF1QipOahDDboCZ2Jan7uphfjqFkwjrCiuzocaacGSL1

1zyatj6.jpg

Last edited:
Snell the top hook in-line easy to do lots of vids on youtube about how.

With 200? I tried snelling some hali rigs with 100 pound test and had a hell of a time. i’ll look up the vids. i tried as above and also hated how the top book was sitting

I'll have to try snelling it again. I snell 80lb all the time but I could not tighten the 200lb.

swivel and a split ring, if you don't have open eye hooks.

Once you run those hooks into your bait, That hook will lay down just fine. I use 200-250 mono and it works fine the way you have it in your pic.

I'll have to try snelling it again. I snell 80lb all the time but I could not tighten the 200lb.

I tie mine with 150lb mono and only do 3 wraps on the Snell. I find it works best if I put a 1/4" bolt in a vice vertically and pull the knot tight with the hook around the bolt. It's also important to use a healthy amount of spit on the line before you tighten it. One last thing ....what size hooks are those they look a bit small?

I tie mine with 150lb mono and only do 3 wraps on the Snell. I find it works best if I put a 1/4" bolt in a vice vertically and pull the knot tight with the hook around the bolt. It's also important to use a healthy amount of spit on the line before you tighten it.
Yes I have a ring installed on my bench for heavier line and often use leather gloves & pliers to tighten heavier mono it's not rocket science-I do pull hard enough to lift myself out of the chair though that way you know there's no breaking anything.

I use old downrigger wire as leader, hali are not leader shy and down in JDF its 1 doggie after another for a good part of the year. With wire they NEVER bite off your gear and you can get a few per rig. I whip, mouse? on the top hook with 60lb mono and a tight slip knot. Can slide it up or down for different bait lengths, salmon belly, octopus long but herring usually shorter. Always get the perfect roll or ripple depending on current. I have posted pics on here some time ago?

HM

Halibut are almost as leader shy as a dog fish. Anything that will inhale a salmon head on a 14/0 circle hook isn't hard to get to bite, If there hungry. Don't over think it.

I use old downrigger wire as leader, hali are not leader shy and down in JDF its 1 doggie after another for a good part of the year. With wire they NEVER bite off your gear and you can get a few per rig. I whip, mouse? on the top hook with 60lb mono and a tight slip knot. Can slide it up or down for different bait lengths, salmon belly, octopus long but herring usually shorter. Always get the perfect roll or ripple depending on current. I have posted pics on here some time ago?

HM
I use old downrigger wire as leader material too.

Works well, when I say old I mean still have the new boxes from years ago when I switched to braid on riggers. Works for me, just have to watch when lifting doggies over side sometimes, hard on hands if no gloves on.

HM

Trotac sells stainless wire by the meter/ft snd crimps

When your into the doggies wire is the only solution I have found.

Just sucks to get a good hook up after hooking a few doggies and have the leader break.

It’s also a major PITA to re tie and put a fresh mono leader out after every dog fish just for some insurance.

Perhaps a bit off subject.. but I need some experienced feedback on hali bait. I'm 0 for 8 trips out this year and have a lot of bait I keep bringing out with me. I'm wondering if the thawing then refreezing the anchovies / salmon scraps and octopus over numerous trips is going to taint the bait and discourage the bite? Ike I said, Eight trips out and zero to show for it so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.. I know I'm in good spots, good gear, sharp hooks, just barely touching the bottom with my weight etc.. maybe my bait is getting "old"?

Duroboat

Try to use some scent, I like the lunker lotion salmon or My buddy swears by Wd -40 for halibut. Three S ss of halibut fishing are.
Scent
Sight
Sound

Bouncing your ball a bit on the bottom is going to hurt you,

Tight lines
Billydoo

Perhaps a bit off subject.. but I need some experienced feedback on hali bait. I'm 0 for 8 trips out this year and have a lot of bait I keep bringing out with me. I'm wondering if the thawing then refreezing the anchovies / salmon scraps and octopus over numerous trips is going to taint the bait and discourage the bite? Ike I said, Eight trips out and zero to show for it so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.. I know I'm in good spots, good gear, sharp hooks, just barely touching the bottom with my weight etc.. maybe my bait is getting "old"?

Not sure where you are fishing, but over the last few years they are deeper and harder to find.
We have frozen and refrozen bait and it still works when the Halibut are around.
We found best bait is either a fresh dipped herring or octopus tentacle which the dogfish have a harder
time getting.

Back