Hali Level wind

Shepnoir

Now that the season is basically over, I have got the itch to upgrade my hali reels. I know I work backwards sometimes....I must love the torture of staring at them all winter or something.;)

Interested to hear what guys are using these days? I am in the budget range of $300- $350 and open to suggestions in terms of brands but have always had good luck with Shimano on both level winds and single action for what it is worth. I have used star as well as lever drags and have heard the latter to be better in terms of less moving parts, but curious as to what you all think between the two.

Thanks in advance - Matt.

I run Shimano Tyranos 30 reels. They are bad butt and not too expensive (250ish online; 279 army/navy). It has a 2 speed model but I use the single speed. Prefer the lever drag over the star drag. I've got big hands and fudging around with the star drag is a pain when a big fish is hooked. MUCH prefer a lever drag when fighting. Makes for the quickest changes of drag tension, and I love how it has a "strike" setting. A real pleasure to use these reels. The Tyranos 20 would more than fit the bill for hali's. the 30 holds some serious line (think I have 500yds of 150lb powerpro on that sucker.) Its a reel that makes you want to fish it.

I'm becoming an AVET fan as I picked up two this season and love them. I will buy some more next year and the following years until all my Penn's are gone!

I started out with Penn's and then moved to Okuma TG15's which we've used last couple of seasons.
Okuma seems to have a bad reputation but these reels have performed very well for us.

okuma.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming when you say level wind you are talking about conventional reels as I don't really think theres anything with a levelwind that is worth buying. Maybe thats just my opinion but i'm not a big fan of level winds as its just another part to break. As for conventionals, the ones mentioned above are all great choices. Avet reels are incredible for the price, I have a couple of SX models for bait casting and and LX raptor two speed for Hali that has unbelievable drag. the raptor versions of the Avet reels have two drag surfaces like Accurate reels. They are a little more money then some of the others mentioned here though. On the other end of the price scale, it pretty hard to beat a Shimano TLD20 at $170. They hold a lot of line and button down to about 25lbs of drag. ive got a few seasons out of these with no issues so far.

Cheers,

That's because they are a POFS.

Wow, you and Fish Assassin really know how to make someone feel good about a purchase. So far, we have my Masterbuilt Smoker and Cravens Okumas on the POS list. A little tact might work better to get your point across. Just sayin

It's Ok Big Green, everybody has an opinion. ;)
I was a little skeptical at first, but after 2 hard seasons they are still working fine.
guess every manufacturer makes the odd good product.

Wow, you and Fish Assassin really know how to make someone feel good about a purchase. So far, we have my Masterbuilt Smoker and Cravens Okumas on the POS list. A little tact might work better to get your point across......
Used to sell Okuma and saw first hand what junk they are and how lousy their service is.

There was always going to be Big Changes but they never happened-maybe they happened since but you won't find me using one or recommending them.

Okuma's habit of supplying specially serviced reels to certain captains who then shill for them is another stomach souring habit of theirs.

Last year I switched to the Shimano Tyranos 16's last season and added a 20 this year. Really like the smooth feel to the bearings and drag. Feels and sounds like quality stuff.

I run Shimano Tyranos 30 reels. They are bad butt and not too expensive (250ish online; 279 army/navy). It has a 2 speed model but I use the single speed. Prefer the lever drag over the star drag. I've got big hands and fudging around with the star drag is a pain when a big fish is hooked. MUCH prefer a lever drag when fighting. Makes for the quickest changes of drag tension, and I love how it has a "strike" setting. A real pleasure to use these reels. The Tyranos 20 would more than fit the bill for hali's. the 30 holds some serious line (think I have 500yds of 150lb powerpro on that sucker.) Its a reel that makes you want to fish it.

x2 on the Tyrnos 20's and 30's, I've got 4 single speeds that I use and they are great, especially for the price. For two speeds I use a pair of the Tiagra 30wlrsa's but they are quite a bit more $$, but incredible reels. Having said that, I do wish my Tyrnos were 2-speed. Its pretty cool bringing in something heavy after you've switched the reel to low gear.

The Tyrnos reels are used quite extensively down south, especially in Costa Rica for sailfish and marlin...........

Pinnacle rod 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tyrnos 20,, got 4 of em... just the right size for hali- ing

x2 on the Tyrnos 20's and 30's, I've got 4 single speeds that I use and they are great, especially for the price. For two speeds I use a pair of the Tiagra 30wlrsa's but they are quite a bit more $$, but incredible reels. Having said that, I do wish my Tyrnos were 2-speed. Its pretty cool bringing in something heavy after you've switched the reel to low gear.

The Tyrnos reels are used quite extensively down south, especially in Costa Rica for sailfish and marlin...........

View attachment 4744

What's that thing on your foot?

I recently picked up a few Shimano Tyranos 30 reels this past season, sweet reels, only thing is they have been discontinued apparently...keeping the old TLD20's for back up

Wow, doesn't anyone fish halibut "old school"? I'm not saying hand lining, but what about a nice big Peetz or Alvey? Does anyone use these? I'd like to find a nice sized Alvey.

I have a Shimano TLD 20 2-speed and really like it, however, my wife's cousin bought a couple Shimano Tyrnos 30 2-speeds and they are awesome. If you have the money, you can't go wrong with the Tyrnos 30.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Back