Hali Level wind

I have a TLD20 my buddy always uses a peetz. I needed a second rod so I picked a peetz up. Now I have 2.

Find an old school peetz roller rod with a 6 inch peetz reel they are classic and do the job really well. Caught about an 80lb skate and 60lb Hali on the peetz my buddy got another around 70. No problems on he peetz at all. Get at least one peetz and try it out before you go all fancy. I'm sure some high end level winds might compete but I can reel faster and easyier with the peetz then a level wind. Make sure you put backing on those reels hold a lot of line.

You should see the handles go when a big fish takes off for the bottom!

I do wish my Tyrnos were 2-speed.
View attachment 4744

For about 30% more (or 100 bucks) they could be!

Cool to see I use a pretty popular reel! Tyranos is Jeremy Wades reel of choice on River Monsters too..not that that matters, just though it was cool to see my hardware on TV lol.

tiagra 16.........great halibut reel that makes darn near 30# drag and will easily kill any fish we have in BC. I used to guide on the west side of the charlottes where 200+ halis were prerry common place. Drop this thing into low gear, and laugh as monster halibut just come to the surface like a dog on a leash. You can usually get them for less than 450 on ebay. solid CNC machined frame and dual disc carbon fiber pads meant for fishing spectra.

I like the idea of going back old school to the 6 inch Peetz...until you hit a day with mega doggies in 2oo or 3oo feet and your up and down all day. I'll take the geared reels for what I do. Also...I can just imagine the birds nest of spectra after a rookie customer backlashes it. Chop, cut and throw away $$$$$ worth of line,,nah.

Still a newbe with Halibut gear.

Is anyone using the Daiwa Saltist Big Game LD20T 2 speed and what do you think of them?
I recently bought one and am hoping I made a good decision as I have not yet used it.

As for using Peetz reels, I managed to pick up a used Peetz stainless and brass reel. It is essentially a copy of their large wood reel but made out of stainless and brass so it is much more heavy duty. Should make a good Halibut reel.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I ended up buying the Tyrnos 16's. Seem to be a very well built, well balanced reel. Very smooth and seem to have a great drag system. Only got into a couple before the season came to an end but enough to know that I will enjoy them long term. Those Tiagra's are purdy, but just a bit outside my range.... Can't beat the deals on the Tyrnos... yes, I know they have been discontinued but Shimano isn't going anywhere. Went with the 16's as I'm just not doing much blue fin fishing on the westcoast. Find the larger reels tend to get "flippy floppy" sometimes. Bigger isn't always better in my books. Thanks for the input gents!

If you are willing to upon up your budget a bit more, take a look at Accurate reels, particularly the Boss series. These reels are monsters for their size, and are well made. They're designed for jigging big game fish.

I recently purchased an Accurate BX-600 Dawg to go along with my acid wrapped jigging master power spell 400g, the quality is top notch. I bought this combo for yellowfin tuna, but haven't had to a chance to test it out yet. Was going to fish off the drillship for tuna, until I crushed my thumb.

Accurate's are definitely worth checking out, they get a lot of really good reviews. They are a bit pricier, but good luck finding another reel with comparable specs for cheaper. Strong, light and have stout twin drags, and come in single or two speed setups.

And forget about level winds. There is no level wind on the market that is reliable enough to handle a lot of medium to big size halibut. Level winds are just not as stout as other styles of conventional reels. Don't believe me? Try to find a level wind reel that is designed for big game such as the big pelagic species (tuna, marlin, etc.). There isn't any. Also, I would look into a lever drag. I used to use star drags, but after owning a few lever drag reels, I will never go back. The fact that you can easily manipulate the drag with a simple lever on the top of the reel is a really handy. It's nice to be able to change the drag on the fly.

What drillship are you on? How do you get close enough to the water to fish off of a drillship? moonpool? Sorry for the derail, just never heard of anyone fishing of a drillship, mainly just jackups and semis

"forget about levelwinds" ?

Tune into Wicked Tuna, all I see being used are some pretty heavy duty levelwinds. Penns, Shimano and I think I even saw a monster Alutechnos. They're pulling in 800+ lb bluefin, so they need something up to the task.
Probs work for our west coast flattys.

Just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
"forget about levelwinds" ?

Tune into Wicked Tuna, all I see being used are some pretty heavy duty levelwinds. Penns, Shimano and I think I even saw a monster Alutechnos. They're pulling in 800+ lb bluefin, so they need something up to the task.
Probs work for our west coast fatties.

Just sayin.

I think you need glasses lol. Just sayin. They are using huge conventional big game reels but none of them are level winds.

My bad I guess. I thought that is what a levelwind was??? Sorry about that fellas. I see the difference now (thanks google) .
Again, apologies.
Now back under my rock:)

Try to find a level wind reel that is designed for big game such as the big pelagic species (tuna, marlin, etc.).

Here's one :) http://www.meltontackle.com/products/daiwa-dendoh-marine-power-mp3000-electric-reel.html

I think the main reason most of the big reels don't have levelwinds is those pelagic species take off at super high speed and the high speed direction changes for the levelwind are tough on those gears. Since halibut aren't known for high speed long distance runs a levelwind should be able to hang in there for a halibut battle IMHO.

At a more reasonable price level the Shimano Charter Special 2000, which has a levelwind and a lever drag, will probably stand up to all but the biggest halibut. It's similar to a TLD 15 with a levelwind and actually puts out more drag at 33lbs. Levelwinds are great with inexperienced anglers that don't remember to move the line around when winding in which is why I use them..

Currently on the Discoverer India, on this ship they fish off the bow. My "home ship" is the Discoverer Clear Leader, and there they fish off the aft. Fishing off in the moonpool is a big no-no, would probably get runoff for that!

Currently on the Discoverer India, on this ship they fish off the bow. My "home ship" is the Discoverer Clear Leader, and there they fish off the aft. Fishing off in the moonpool is a big no-no, would probably get runoff for that!

Ya I would say. Man I wish they would have let us fish off of the DWD. Insane Mahi Mahi schooled up in the shade all day. The commies would be shaking them off trying to catch tuna not 100 yards from the rig.

Back