Gulf Islands 2012

We fished Thrasher on Saturday afternoon and got 2 fish around the 15-20 lbs range and lost 2 fish. Great weather out there perfect water conditions. Even had the whales go by on our way into Sylvia bay. All fish were hooked on hooch's and spoons.

fished the cable area off galiano on friday evening for a couple hrs and nothing. went up to thrasher on saturday but didnt get up there till 130pm and put in a solid 4hrs without a bite. In the same zone with the same hot gear as last weekend... made 1 pass across porlier on the way home... found a bunch of bait there but no bites.... we saw 1 other boat on friday fishing near us and I think they said they got a nice one but not sure. Any other reports from the weekend???

I'm glad you were the test fishery this weekend, lol. After that report last weekend we headed up to thrasher and nada, glad I got some chores done this weekend, save it up for the next push.

Got a 18 lber between cable bay and gossip island on Friday. A couple guys staying at the Galiano inn got a couple nice ones just south of gossip, before the bell buoy. Basically right off the shoal. I think they said they were mooching with herring, as he forgot his riggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice catch Tulameen! I've got my weekend catch (from the Hump) marinating in brown sugar, soy sauce and scotch. Headed for the BBQ tonight.

Brad

Ate mine that night. Had 2 different marinades. My buddies wife is from Hong Kong and an amazing cook. She made up some soy ginger sauce for one slab and another mustard asian sauce for the other slab. Wow. They were good! That was the freshest salmon I have ever had. It literally melted in my mouth. Can't wait to catch more.

Fished Thrasher from 730-4 on Saturday. Was a bit slow for the first hr but then we started finding action offshore in 500-1200ft of water. We had 8 hits and unfortunately our conversion ratio was not so good as we only landed two 8 and 20lbs. Lost a couple screamers probably around 20lbs right on the surface about 100ft behind the boat. These fish were definitely fighters! Cj Specials, Green splatterback hootch, and anchovies in glow bullet roll teasers all produced. All fish caught were between 75 and 111ft. We couldn't bare the afternoon heat so we left and headed back to Galiano. Went out for the evening to the cable area and caught a 15lb red in 10 minutes of trolling 88ft down in aprox 120-140ft. Great scrap and a great way to end the day. The guy on the rod lost all his in the AM so he was stoked to finally get er done. Beauty day all in all.

cheers

Got a real nice fish at Porlier Pass on Friday 25th at slack tide, just South of the Pass on the outside straight off the North end of Galiano. Very windy and it was tough fishing, lost one as well. Are there any good spots on the inside of Galiano to fish? Also the power lines are not producing anything yet I am told, true?

pretty slow for me at the power lines so far this season. picked up a couple barely legals 2 weeks ago but that was after a full day on the water without a sniff. I haven't been out there in a couple weeks so would appreciate any recent reports as I will be heading over this weekend. I hear thrasher has been spotty as well so not worth the long run up from Galiano for me.

Had a good weekend over at the galiano area. heading out both saturday and sunday near the power lines and boated a few keepers each day in addition to some undersized. Hit them on a mix of chovies and hootchies. Nothing of much size (13lb was the biggest) but very decent action with a hit every 30-45 mins on avg. Good to see this fishery has finally got going to where it typically is. I'm sure porlier and further north (thrasher area) were good this weekend as well.

Had a good weekend over at the galiano area. heading out both saturday and sunday near the power lines and boated a few keepers each day in addition to some undersized. Hit them on a mix of chovies and hootchies. Nothing of much size (13lb was the biggest) but very decent action with a hit every 30-45 mins on avg. Good to see this fishery has finally got going to where it typically is. I'm sure porlier and further north (thrasher area) were good this weekend as well.[/QUOTE

Agreed! been a solid week! Even with the huge tides there has been a decent morning bite and an even better afternoon bite! Had 15 hits in the day yesterday!

Fished the Thrasher area for the better part of saturday with no success. Had one bite and that was it. Didnt appear to be much action on other boats as well.

Lots of fish around between Galiano and Thrasher Rock. There is lots of feed around too. The feed moves around too depending on the tide so somedays a little searching is required. On a good day I have had 1 bite for every 1/2 hr of trolling and a slow day still producing a bite an hr. That is as good or better than the last few years so hopefully keeps getting better! only 1 white out of the last dozen or so fish cleaned at my dock. mostly nice dark reds.

I fished at Galiano Island today. We arrived at about noon and fished for two hours at the power lines on the east side of Galiano. Not a bite. Low tide was at 10:00 AM and we missed it so maybe that was a factor. We then went north up to Porlier Pass and fished there for a few hours. We got one ling cod and that was it. We were using hoochies and a green and white spoon. Even though we didn't get any salmon it was nice to be out. The water was flat and the day was nice even though it clouded over. My big question involves the areas to fish. Is Thrasher Rock generally a more reliable fishing spot compared to the east side of Galiano? Also, where is the best place to launch a boat on the Vancouver side to be nearest to the north end of Galiano or Thrasher? I launched in Ladner by Westham Island which is essentially close to Steveston. Is there another closer location?

Back