Gulf Islands 2012

lol, yeah I do but I no longer go down the black slide. Waaay to fast for my liking:) I used to be up in Heritage woods near the top of P Moody. Now I am just over in Burke Mountain. Love the area.

Hey Stones, I see you frequent Koko's ;-)

Cheers

I have wondered about this as well. when I fish galiano on the straight of georgia side (flood tide usually but fish are there on ebb as well) I'm usually in 100-200 feet of water either at Porlier (NE galiano) or active (off the cables). Off the cables about a mile or two there is a ridge that comes up to 300 feet running parallel to galiano. On either side of the ridge it drops to 600 feet pretty quickly and then deeper as you head towards the mainland. Anyone fish out that way in 600 + feet? Any success?

Nice one! and great news the fish are showing up right on schedule. Has anyone ever fished in the deep water off of Galiano? I usually never go deeper than 250' of water.

I haven't yet but am now curious to try...I have heard of guys who used to fish around that ridge for Hali. Ill be out tomorrow if its nice and can't decide between the cables or porlier with the big tides. I think im gonna make the run to porlier....

I have wondered about this as well. when I fish galiano on the straight of georgia side (flood tide usually but fish are there on ebb as well) I'm usually in 100-200 feet of water either at Porlier (NE galiano) or active (off the cables). Off the cables about a mile or two there is a ridge that comes up to 300 feet running parallel to galiano. On either side of the ridge it drops to 600 feet pretty quickly and then deeper as you head towards the mainland. Anyone fish out that way in 600 + feet? Any success?

There goes porlier

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0380-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Management Actions

Further to FN0128, the Department will be implementing a “chinook corridor”
containing additional management measures to protect Fraser River Spring and
Summer Chinook populations as they pass through the Strait of Juan de Fuca to
the Fraser River during June and early July. Details of these measures are
outlined below.

1. Subareas 19-1 to 19-4, and 20-5.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2012, the daily limit is two
(2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm
and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over 67 cm in length.

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5
that lies south from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at
49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2012 the daily limit is two
(2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67
cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

Note: Management measures to protect and conserve Fraser River Spring and
Summer 5-2 Chinook stocks of concern may also be required after June 15. An
update on these management measures will be announced in a subsequent fishery
notice.

Variation Orders: 2012-182 and 2012-184.

Notes:

1. Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
(Hatchery Marked)chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides
critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport
Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information. The location
of the Head Recovery Depots can be found at the following site:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/prize-prix-eng.htm

2. Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish
are hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase
the numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

3. Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

4. Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to
all fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational
fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

5. Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please
call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report
line at: (800) 465-4336.

6. For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at: (866)
431-FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0380
Sent May 3, 2012 at 14:06
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Was out at galiano this past weekend and fished sunday afternoon and monday morning. Hit a barely legal spring on sunday afternoon on the flood near the cables on the east side of galiano. 99' on a chovie. Hit our 10lb spring on our first pass on monday morning (also on a chovie/teaser) at 88' in the same area. We did try fishing offshore a mile or so and had one good hit that was lost by a rookie ;) Perfect weather conditions both days. We tried spoons, hoochies and chovies and chovies worked best for us. Still waiting for things to get HOT like I hear thrasher was this weekend. I'm sure the fish will work their way down shortly

Hopefully it will get hot next week. I'm on Galiano from Tuesday morning to Sunday evening. Be out fishing lots everyday. Hoping to not have to travel up to Thrasher, but I definitely will if that's where it's hot. It seems most fish are being caught well off shore. Is that usual? Or is this just an anomaly this year?

Was out at galiano this past weekend and fished sunday afternoon and monday morning. Hit a barely legal spring on sunday afternoon on the flood near the cables on the east side of galiano. 99' on a chovie. Hit our 10lb spring on our first pass on monday morning (also on a chovie/teaser) at 88' in the same area. We did try fishing offshore a mile or so and had one good hit that was lost by a rookie ;) Perfect weather conditions both days. We tried spoons, hoochies and chovies and chovies worked best for us. Still waiting for things to get HOT like I hear thrasher was this weekend. I'm sure the fish will work their way down shortly

^^^^^^ gentlemen, Are those areas not closed right now to springs???

"Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W."

If I'm reading the regs right, it is 1 under 67 cms and 1 over 67 cms. Minimum size is 62 cms. You can keep either wild or hatchery in that area you mention. Hopefully I'm reading it right. I want to keep a couple next week if I can.

I believe it is normal for this time of year but they have been moving inshore a bit more this last week.

Hopefully it will get hot next week. I'm on Galiano from Tuesday morning to Sunday evening. Be out fishing lots everyday. Hoping to not have to travel up to Thrasher, but I definitely will if that's where it's hot. It seems most fish are being caught well off shore. Is that usual? Or is this just an anomaly this year?

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, and a portion of 29-4, and 29-5
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours June 15, 2012 the daily limit is two
(2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater than 67
cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

IF you read the whole notification it says 1 over 1 under.

Same east of Thraser, open west of Thraser.

And I think it is pronounced Thrasher.

Hey Jac thrasher is limit of 2 springs over 62.5 cm. Just fish towards entrance island side and not towards galiano.

Thrasher was pretty good for me today with 7 springs in 5hrs went 7 for 7 with 4 on green splatter hootch and 3 on CJ Specials had 2 double headers one in the noon bite and another in the evening. topped the night off with a double of 20-22lbers! was the best day ive ever had locally. All fishwere between 9-22lbs. pretty nice and calm to boot. caught the biggest of the morning on a 5 inch CJ pilchard and the two biggest of the evening on the 4 inch CJ Special squid glow. All in all 4 on the green hootch but the 3 biggest on the 4-5 inch CJ Specials, 4 inch glow squid and the 5 inch pilchard. didn't get out till 11am What a great effin day!!!

44, awesome work out there man! sounds like an epic gulf islands day of fishing! I've yet to try those CJ specials but they seem to work pretty well for you eh?

I was fishing this weekend in/around Galiano (porlier and active). Put in a full day on saturday and came home with nada! had a couple undersized and dragged up some cod but couldn't get anything going despite perfect weather conditions and tides that looked favourable. Heading out yesterday midday for a couple hours and ended up releasing two barely unders and keeping 2 springs in the 8-10lb range. Lil guys but great for the bbq. Both keepers were caught on chovie and I had hoochies and spoons out there all weekend as well with little success.

got a 12lber at porlier on friday, green glow flasher with spatterback hootchie 100ft in 250 ft of water only hit in about 4 hours

Back