Guide licensing

Actually, there were charges and a court case that resulted from that incident against the operator - so there were consequences. One interesting charge that there was a conviction on, was requirement to provide guests with pre-trip safety briefing amoung many other charges/convictions.
Points all from previous is good BUT you make all kinds of rules and regs etc but alot not a lot of good comes from MORE regualtions as people always find a way, there is so much (dont want to say illegal) back yard out there now Do you remeber the guy in catamaran boat a few years back that a lodge hired out non complience and he killed people . NOTHING really came out from it.
There is people out there that have NO CLUE on how to run a boat and take HUGE chances with people on board . and there is no really way to stop it. They lie right to clients faces saying there are experienced, in there eyes they are as great as there egos...

Actually, there were charges and a court case that resulted from that incident against the operator - so there were consequences. One interesting charge that there was a conviction on, was requirement to provide guests with pre-trip safety briefing amoung many other charges/convictions.
I'm pretty sure that's all over. He was guiding this summer

how did they get insurance?
Pretty sure many insurers sales brokers don't look too closely at who's behind the risk they insure. But their claims departments sure do where there is a big loss. If the risk wasn't honestly presented to the insurer by the customer being insured, that would breach the policy in most instances. Not to mention, that insurance is optional...its certainly buyer beware market for people picking a good charter operator.

I'm pretty sure that's all over. He was guiding this summer
AND there lies the problem NO MATTER what.
Fact guy shouldnt have been guiding, kills people and if its true hes taking people out again...

AND YOU WANT MORE LISCENSING .
WOW .

Not really sure. I’m sure there are loopholes. Maybe it’s all in his wife’s name? Her last name is different than his.
possibly a limited company before or now also. lots of ways i guess to get around.

Just pointing out how dumb more is not better , we are getting regulated to death enough. im surprised we can even function in life with out the government telling us what to do..frankly getting really tired of it.. whats in place doesnt work we all know it, soon fishing will be a thing of the past with more and more closures . so enjoy what we got ...

Just pointing out how dumb more is not better , we are getting regulated to death enough. im surprised we can even function in life with out the government telling us what to do..frankly getting really tired of it.. whats in place doesnt work we all know it, soon fishing will be a thing of the past with more and more closures . so enjoy what we got ...
Geez it’s almost like I wrote this. So agree

Enjoy folks, these are the good old days...more regulation, more controls, more reduction in access and opportunity are certainly just over the horizon. Perhaps one of the ways forward against that developing environment our fishery will find itself in, is to modernize our approach to how we manage our shrinking access to the fishery.

To operate a charter you need a Small Vessel Operator Proficiency certification - which I figure every person who operates a boat in saltwater should have as a minimum if they're taking other people with them on the water. I paid ~$1000 to take a 6-day course from Landsend in Gibsons, BC (one of many SVOP course providers) plus a $175 2-day Marine First Aid course at ABC First Aid in Nanaimo (also one of many Marine First Aid course providers) to get mine. Although isn't required to operate a Charter boat (the SVOP is the only requirement), Skilled Trades BC https://skilledtradesbc.ca/tidal-angling-guide also offers a Tidal Angling Guide program where you submit documented hours of experience.

I'm a cost-crunching business analyst who's addicted to fishing and I figure that the average day of fishing costs me a minimum of ~$300 in out of pocket costs (truck and boat fuel & maintenance, ice, lost/damaged gear, insurance, etc.) plus another ~$700 in depreciation and opportunity costs associated with the money I have wrapped up in the boat and gear (assuming I get out ~20 times a year). This means that an ~8-hour $1200 fishing charter (plus another 2 hours of work cleaning p*ss and p*ke out of my cuddy and getting my boat ready to go again) leaves me with ~$20/hour for my effort - assuming nothing major goes wrong. I don't need a minimum wage job so I stick to taking friends and family out fishing and if they pitch me a few bucks to help cover the cost that's great and if they don't that's great too. If I was worried about the cost I'd find a different pastime. If I wanted to make money... there's better ways to do it.

Last edited:
To operate a charter you need a Small Vessel Operator Proficiency certification - which I figure every person who operates a boat in saltwater should have as a minimum if they're taking other people with them on the water. I paid ~$1000 to take a 6-day course from Landsend in Gibsons, BC (one of many SVOP course providers) plus a $175 2-day Marine First Aid course at ABC First Aid in Nanaimo (also one of many Marine First Aid course providers) to get mine. Although isn't required to operate a Charter boat (the SVOP is the only requirement), Skilled Trades BC https://skilledtradesbc.ca/tidal-angling-guide also offers a Tidal Angling Guide program where you submit documented hours of experience.

I'm a cost-crunching business analyst who's addicted to fishing and I figure that the average day of fishing costs me a minimum of ~$300 in out of pocket costs (truck and boat fuel & maintenance, ice, lost/damaged gear, insurance, etc.) plus another ~$700 in depreciation and opportunity costs associated with the money I have wrapped up in the boat and gear (assuming I get out ~20 times a year). This means that an ~8-hour $1200 fishing charter (plus another 2 hours of work cleaning p*ss and p*ke out of my cuddy and getting my boat ready to go again) leaves me with ~$20/hour for my effort - assuming nothing major goes wrong. I don't need a minimum wage job so I stick to taking friends and family out fishing and if they pitch me a few bucks to help cover the cost that's great and if they don't that's great too. If I was worried about the cost I'd find a different pastime.
First Aid was a requirement before I retired

Last edited:

I'm a cost-crunching business analyst who's addicted to fishing and I figure that the average day of fishing costs me a minimum of ~$300 in out of pocket costs (truck and boat fuel & maintenance, ice, lost/damaged gear, insurance, etc.) plus another ~$700 in depreciation and opportunity costs associated with the money I have wrapped up in the boat and gear (assuming I get out ~20 times a year). This means that an ~8-hour $1200 fishing charter (plus another 2 hours of work cleaning p*ss and p*ke out of my cuddy and getting my boat ready to go again) leaves me with ~$20/hour for my effort - assuming nothing major goes wrong. I don't need a minimum wage job so I stick to taking friends and family out fishing and if they pitch me a few bucks to help cover the cost that's great and if they don't that's great too. If I was worried about the cost I'd find a different pastime. If I wanted to make money... there's better ways to do it.
You should try logging lol we are up to a thousand some days for fuel
Down a bit lately but that’s before insurance, tires, rambunctious loader men, wear and tear, six month MVIs that are a license for shops to print money because you sign a lean on the truck to get work done and most companies pad the bill so drivers better know their **** plus the driver takes 25 to 28 %
And who in their right mind wants to slide down mountain trails then brave the bumper pool the four wheelers want to play
Every body has their nieche and I like mine and will probably want to play on the water for a summer or two as a bucket list thing and do my vacations fishing
But to charter naw I don’t like people that much lol
Maybe that why I like my office on wheels nobody’s gonna understand it except the guys who do it !
I know first time out in the dark on the ocean outside of Ucluelet was out of my comfort zone lol as I’m sure any one of you couldn’t drive my logging truck down a mountain it’s an acquired skill. Any person can get in a boat and survive But to catch fish is a skill and to charter would be a job I wouldn’t want
Boating and fishing is always supposed to be fun and that’s the rub for a charter guy people want bang for their buck or fish for their ___
But at the end of the day nobody would haul logs or people out to fish if it didn’t generate dollars

What’s the license for going that far out for charters, bet that ups the game some ?
no license, call it insurance riders. pay more. i am good up to 100nm but that doesn't mean squat from what i understand. i thought about doing tuna charters but really the amount of work and prep is beyond charging. maybe if i ran a boat like bishes it would be more approachable. I rather have good skilled and comfortable friends on board for tuna.

Here’s the legal definition of Class 2 Near Coastal Voyage for which the svop is certified for.

Attachments

• IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 30
Exactly, and your SVOP restricts to Near Coast 2 - 25 miles so anyone doing Tuna Charters beyond that is taking a big personal risk IMO. Oh, for $20/hr to boot.

Exactly, and your SVOP restricts to Near Coast 2 - 25 miles so anyone doing Tuna Charters beyond that is taking a big personal risk IMO. Oh, for $20/hr to boot.
yup, thats why all tuna trips are free to my friends. they just buy the gas, ice, and food. usually they bring some gear too. as soon as a dollar is turned over for "profit or exchange" the TC rules apply.

Back