Guide licensing

LOL I cant see it they cant even enforce whats in place now , there are so many illegal guys out there now that are advertising have zero experience and no certs !!!!! ASK profisher... he has one at his dock and guy doenst give a crap about rules.....

My buddy was out fishing with me last weekend and he pointed out a boat that him and a few buddies went out on last year from a Craigslist add . Guy says if dfo comes around just say we are all buddies .

My buddy was out fishing with me last weekend and he pointed out a boat that him and a few buddies went out on last year from a Craigslist add . Guy says if dfo comes around just say we are all buddies .
it’s Transport Canada and the RCMP that will take issue with non-pleasure craft operations without C#, SVOP, stability, etc. Send TC in Victoria the names and info of the guys giving the rest of the industry a bad or unsafe name.

It’s pretty basic for licensing, isn’t it ?
Dot doesn’t have the man power to crack down on the highways either !!!

Cheap bastards

Changed it up. Renamed it and added material to the course. Not sure if it’s still lifetime either but us old school SVOP guys are still good for life.

Just googled it and it hasn’t changed yet. If you’re interested, I’d get it now before they do.
I'm glad I did it all last year. Nice to have. It also scares the **** out of you.

Interesting, what did you find to be scary?

Maybe if I had a license I could justify a bigger boat purchase. Lord knows I have a bunch of skeg-biters for friends and acquaintances who always want me to take them out for half a soggy sandwich and $18 in toonies for gas. 😂
It's a great reminder of what can go wrong. And the role you play in making sure you have your butt covered from a liability standpoint. It's not just buy insurance and you're good kinda deal. It's daily logs and training and maintenance schedules and proper orientation with guests. I'm sure most guys don't do half of what they "should" be doing.

It's a great reminder of what can go wrong. And the role you play in making sure you have your butt covered from a liability standpoint. It's not just buy insurance and you're good kinda deal. It's daily logs and training and maintenance schedules and proper orientation with guests. I'm sure most guys don't do half of what they "should" be doing.
Never underestimate the arrogance and willful ignorance of someone who stands to make a buck from either.

LOL I cant see it they cant even enforce whats in place now , there are so many illegal guys out there now that are advertising have zero experience and no certs !!!!! ASK profisher... he has one at his dock and guy doenst give a crap about rules.....
It’s always been that way.

Anyone hear of anything coming down the pipe from dfo for registering or licensing saltwater guides?
Copied this off Datum Marine webpage:

Transport Canada has proposed some changes to the Small Vessel Operator training regime (currently the SVOP certificate). The validity of SVO certifications may be extended to operators of larger vessels (up to 12 meters long). Nothing is finalized yet, but here’s what we know so far:
1. Any changes to the SVOP course will not come into effect until 2024 (or later!)
2. Existing SVOP certificates will still be valid, but holders may have to take additional courses if they want to operate larger vessels (more than 5GT, less than 12m)
3. The SVOP course will probably be a few hours longer

Transport Canada is changing from a Gross Tonnage measurement for boats to a length measurement. This is a much easier measurement, as it just involves measure the length of your boat! The current SVOP is good for vessels up to 5 GT, which is generally about 9 meters long, the new SVOP will be good for vessels up to 12 meters long. We hope these changes will mean a “new and improved” SVOP for bigger boats.

When I took my course, our teacher was the guy who helped transport Canada write the training manual. He told us we’re good up to 40’ and 12 passengers and current SVOP holders will be grandfathered in to whatever the new regs will be.

Copied this off Datum Marine webpage:

Transport Canada has proposed some changes to the Small Vessel Operator training regime (currently the SVOP certificate). The validity of SVO certifications may be extended to operators of larger vessels (up to 12 meters long). Nothing is finalized yet, but here’s what we know so far:
1. Any changes to the SVOP course will not come into effect until 2024 (or later!)
2. Existing SVOP certificates will still be valid, but holders may have to take additional courses if they want to operate larger vessels (more than 5GT, less than 12m)
3. The SVOP course will probably be a few hours longer

Transport Canada is changing from a Gross Tonnage measurement for boats to a length measurement. This is a much easier measurement, as it just involves measure the length of your boat! The current SVOP is good for vessels up to 5 GT, which is generally about 9 meters long, the new SVOP will be good for vessels up to 12 meters long. We hope these changes will mean a “new and improved” SVOP for bigger boats.

When I took my course, our teacher was the guy who helped transport Canada write the training manual. He told us we’re good up to 40’ and 12 passengers and current SVOP holders will be grandfathered in to whatever the new regs will be.
What's up with the exclamation points? Odd choice.

Back