Guide licensing

Why anyone would assume massive liability for a few bucks stuns me!
Not sure if an insurance company would cover any part of a massive lawsuit should something go south…..you could bet your butt they would be looking for any and all ways to get out of it.

On that note what is insurance worth and is there different ratings for older or length or passenger ratings
Wonder how it compares to on the pavement cost

It’s their job to find the reason not to pay it’s how thy make money
Or is that too cynical 🤨
Not cynical at all….realistic. I owned a consulting company and a large part of our budget was insurance. “Cover your butt” was (and still is) the consulting mantra. Professional guides take on this liability and pay through the nose to stay reasonably covered….many think their rates are high just for fuel costs and big profit….not so!
If you are a casual fisher hoping to make some extra coin “guiding” on the side, you’re playing with fire. IMHO, not worth it.

Not cynical at all….realistic. I owned a consulting company and a large part of our budget was insurance. “Cover your butt” was (and still is) the consulting mantra. Professional guides take on this liability and pay through the nose to stay reasonably covered….many think their rates are high just for fuel costs and big profit….not so!
If you are a casual fisher hoping to make some extra coin “guiding” on the side, you’re playing with fire. IMHO, not worth it.
Sage advice I’m sure !
No I’m thinking how it compares to hauling logs and other commercial ventures on pavement
I mean water should be safer than a highway with big steel vehicles within inches sometimes going opposite direction on a closed course roadway

And I know I can get schooled on water way danger believe me I know the peril and felt the fear of both

Sage advice I’m sure !
No I’m thinking how it compares to hauling logs and other commercial ventures on pavement
I mean water should be safer than a highway with big steel vehicles within inches sometimes going opposite direction on a closed course roadway
This is different
If you take someone on your boat and they pay you anything, be it for fuel, fishing, whatever, that puts you in a (potentially) commercial situation, especially if you can’t prove they are long-time friends/acquaintances). If they sprain their ankle on your boat, that puts you in a liability position… this is important to remember…behind every recreational user/client is a lawyer. And personal liability lawyers get paid based on what they settle for, so you know that will be as much money as they can go for.
It sucks to say, but we now live in a litigious society….I remember the days that if you slipped on ice you cursed yourself for being clumsy. Now, there are legal firms that specialize on crap like this.
Back to the main point…making a few bucks taking someone you may not know sounds like a good plan and easy money, but if you and your insurance company are not on the same page you could be a massive loser. I’m really not trying to fear monger, but coming from a position of knowing insurance companies, I can’t see taking on such risk.
Again, IMHO

This is different
If you take someone on your boat and they pay you anything, be it for fuel, fishing, whatever, that puts you in a (potentially) commercial situation, especially if you can’t prove they are long-time friends/acquaintances). If they sprain their ankle on your boat, that puts you in a liability position… this is important to remember…behind every recreational user/client is a lawyer. And personal liability lawyers get paid based on what they settle for, so you know that will be as much money as they can go for.
It sucks to say, but we now live in a litigious society….I remember the days that if you slipped on ice you cursed yourself for being clumsy. Now, there are legal firms that specialize on crap like this.
Back to the main point…making a few bucks taking someone you may not know sounds like a good plan and easy money, but if you and your insurance company are not on the same page you could be a massive loser. I’m really not trying to fear monger, but coming from a position of knowing insurance companies, I can’t see taking on such risk.
Again, IMHO
And I’m in agreement with you the same applies to everything we do in society but judges have a different way of seeing things
Than blood sucking ambulance chasing pests
I guess you don’t know the cost
For logging it varies a lot depending on overall weight but can go up to two to three grand a month depending on fleet status and other variables
Not including workers comp ! Or as some call it work safe

And I’m in agreement with you the same applies to everything we do in society but judges have a different way of seeing things
Than blood sucking ambulance chasing pests
I guess you don’t know the cost
For logging it varies a lot depending on overall weight but can go up to two to three grand a month depending on fleet status and other variables
👍

Copied this off Datum Marine webpage:

Transport Canada has proposed some changes to the Small Vessel Operator training regime (currently the SVOP certificate). The validity of SVO certifications may be extended to operators of larger vessels (up to 12 meters long). Nothing is finalized yet, but here’s what we know so far:
1. Any changes to the SVOP course will not come into effect until 2024 (or later!)
2. Existing SVOP certificates will still be valid, but holders may have to take additional courses if they want to operate larger vessels (more than 5GT, less than 12m)
3. The SVOP course will probably be a few hours longer

Transport Canada is changing from a Gross Tonnage measurement for boats to a length measurement. This is a much easier measurement, as it just involves measure the length of your boat! The current SVOP is good for vessels up to 5 GT, which is generally about 9 meters long, the new SVOP will be good for vessels up to 12 meters long. We hope these changes will mean a “new and improved” SVOP for bigger boats.

When I took my course, our teacher was the guy who helped transport Canada write the training manual. He told us we’re good up to 40’ and 12 passengers and current SVOP holders will be grandfathered in to whatever the new regs will be.
Yes im aware of the changes to the svop for small commercial vessels. I was refering to something coming from DFO for fishing guide regulations or licensing.

What people don't understand is that you don't even have to have an accident to be sued. Some one could find out you don't have the proper qualifications to take paying customers and then claim they were traumatized by feeling unsafe for 8 hours and is now suffering lasting effects from it. ( ie: not able to get in a boat again) There are just as many people/customers out there looking for opportunities to make easy money as their are unscrupulous fishers looking for ways to cheat. The guys I shake my head at are the ones running paying clients offshore for tuna without the proper insurance or equipment to do it legally. The perfect scenario to scare the crap out of someone coming back into early morning hours on a kicker motor because the main broke down. It will happen.

What people don't understand is that you don't even have to have an accident to be sued. Some one could find out you don't have the proper qualifications to take paying customers and then claim they were traumatized by feeling unsafe for 8 hours and is now suffering lasting effects from it. ( ie: not able to get in a boat again) There are just as many people/customers out there looking for opportunities to make easy money as their are unscrupulous fishers looking for ways to cheat. The guys I shake my head at are the ones running paying clients offshore for tuna without the proper insurance or equipment to do it legally. The perfect scenario to scare the crap out of someone coming back into early morning hours on a kicker motor because the main broke down. It will happen.
Could get sued for farting loudly at home by the neighbours
But let’s be real here if your scenario happens the defence is the safety system worked and brought you home and a refund is offered

Guess it’s some kinda big secret what the cost of insurance is
I would think it is just the cost of doing business
Like in the trucking industry no insurance no work !
But what do I know
Seems like there is a “shade of grey” to chartering or is that just a song I heard once 🤣

Back