Guide licensing

Anyone hear of anything coming down the pipe from dfo for registering or licensing saltwater guides?
It is coming. The C-TAG program was put in place by the industry to get a head start on it, and so the industry could dictate to a point how it is implemented. As I’ve seen stated below, you need a CO number and with that all your certs.
Of course anyone can say they are a guide and take people out, but insurance is the big thing. Without guiding insurance (and you need to be registered and have your certs to get this), you will lose everything if something bad happens

It is coming. The C-TAG program was put in place by the industry to get a head start on it, and so the industry could dictate to a point how it is implemented. As I’ve seen stated below, you need a CO number and with that all your certs.
Of course anyone can say they are a guide and take people out, but insurance is the big thing. Without guiding insurance (and you need to be registered and have your certs to get this), you will lose everything if something bad happens
Sorry to be a doubting Thomas but where are you getting your info? I just spent an hour researching this and can find nothing but 10 year old info and straight up fear mongering regarding the need for CTAG. If you’ve got a link or something to back this up please post it.

To become a guide, you require the proper Transport Canada certifications, C#, insurance and gear.

I have it all and the reason I have it is to satisfy my insurance company, Transport Canada and help me provides a better service. If in case of an accident, I want to make sure the insurer cannot wiggle their way out of compensation by saying, you were not qualified to perform the service. It is always good for you and your clients for you to know as much as you can about guiding and having your certification.

Currently Transport Canada doesn’t have the manpower or the drive to enforce the Rec guiding regulations. So, who is going to enforce CTAG, it is not Government regulated?. I have been stopped by the police and DFO numerous times and all they have ever checked is fishing gear, licenses, safety gear and registration.

You can have CTAG to make you a better guide, and all the certification needed but clients do not look at that or care. They mainly look at four things and they don’t even ask if you have insurance. I have only had one client in all the years ask for proof of insurance, which I always asks for first when dealing with some services which should have it.

I’ve talk with thousands of clients over the years, (For sure 850 people in 4 yrs. photo) and I always ask questions during our waiting period between fish bites, and that is sometimes hours on bad days. I ask the questions to have a better understanding of what clients like to see and attracts them to hire a guide.

Clients look at your web site first, your boat, your prices, and photos of fish pictures.

It is always best to meet all Gov regs, have insurance, know what you are doing by having training like CTAG and other course.

Photos>Fish pictures client really liked.

Attachments

• Coho Fillets.jpg
    Coho Fillets.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 45
  • halibut photo.jpg
    halibut photo.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 62.5lb spring.jpg
    62.5lb spring.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Empty DFO license books for disposal.jpg
    Empty DFO license books for disposal.jpg