Graphite or glass rod's

scott craven

What's your preference ?
i have always used glass rod's as they stand up well
to getting knocked around in the boat.
I sure like the light weight of the graphite though.

[?]

Try the Shimano Techniums. They are a glass type of blank surrounded by graphite - and to me appear to be the best of both worlds. Been running these exclusively on the charter boat for about 3 years now, and despite many guests stressing these rods to the max, have yet to have a single rod failure with them (quickly touching wood!).
More than sensitive enough to indicate the lightest of bites, they have some MEAN Backbone for playing the Large. Of the choices out there today, I rank these as amongst the best for running off the riggers.

Cheers,
Nog

If you get the smallest knick in a graphite pole, then put it in a downrigger, run into a large piece of kelp, add a LOT more pressure trying to bring it in or to break free... It will explode! 4 custom graphite's... 4 explosions. After that, I started using "Lamiglass", with lifetime warranty. First one, graphite! First one... another explosion! Guess I am just too rough on my poles! When I took it back to the factory, they flat out told me NOT to use graphite on downriggers. Switched to fiberglass and haven't had a problem in years! [:0]

But, go here and read some of the comments: There are some using a composite of fiberglass wraped inside and out with graphite! They sound quite happy and seem to not have any problems. That's gotta work! Best of both worlds! If I were to need a new pole I would be looking very hard at what they have!!!!
http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org/forum/barkley-sound-report-t14-40.html

I have had tons of graphite rods that get nicked bad.Nice trick,30 minute epoxy spread liberally through and around the bad nicks= no problems later,done it at least a couple dozen times,it's the charm.

ST

quote:Originally posted by squaretailer

I have had tons of graphite rods that get nicked bad</u>.Nice trick,30 minute epoxy spread liberally through and around the bad nicks= no problems later,done it at least a couple dozen times,it's the charm.

ST

I think your comment speaks for itself and I quote "you", "I have had tons of graphite rods"? Then, my question has to be, where are they now and where did "TONS" all go, you did say, "TONS"? Now, don't get me wrong.... I love them, too! But I have NOT had to replace any of my fiberglass for years!! If you really want to know... I would have to dig out my receipts, which I do keep!

I still am thinking, If I had to replace one of my rods, or buy a new one for trolling, I will be checking on that TC4 construction very close... it really does sound like it is the best of both worlds and could be the ticket... fiberglass, with the strength of graphite?? That will be a hard one to beat?

But, like I also said, "I am just too rough on my poles!"

I too have the techs very nice rods but the other 2 that I use mostly are the gl loomis have had them close to 15 years in total and have blown up 5 since I have got them so not a bad investment as they also carry a lifetime warranty and to get a new one you pay for shipping and etc about 60 bucks if I remeber right.

I would never buy a rod without a warranty spend the extra dough its well worth it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I echo the recommendation for Techniums. I also have a couple lamiglass rods and Hardy 10 ft 10 in glass rods which are nice and durable, however, a bit too slow of action and heavy I find. I like the quicker action and durability of the Techniums.

The techniums are the way to go for people who like a 10'6" rod. They are super tough and just all around a really nice rod to fish with!

quote:Originally posted by wolf

I too have the techs very nice rods but the other 2 that I use mostly are the gl loomis have had them close to 15 years in total and have blown up 5 since I have got them so not a bad investment as they also carry a lifetime warranty and to get a new one you pay for shipping and etc about 60 bucks if I remeber right.

I would never buy a rod without a warranty spend the extra dough its well worth it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com
I thought with Loomis, all you had to do was take them to any Loomis dealer? I don't know that for fact, but I did have a dealer tell me that, as he was trying to convert me? :)

Yes All the times i had to deal with a broken loomis was take it in and they would replace it and you had to pay for the repacement shiping etc no different than any other.
sage is another one too but alot more expensive.

I have a lamiglass as well but compared to the loomis it feels like a clumsy broom stick kind of reminds me of an old fiberglass peetz rod with out the roller eyes LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I've been fishng Loomis GL2 10 ft 6 inch rods for 15 years and have never had one blow up. I'm still fishing the same two rods and put a lot of time on them each season. I will have to replace some of the cork on one this winter but, that's about it. I really love these rods.

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

I've been fishng Loomis GL2 10 ft 6 inch rods for 15 years and have never had one blow up. I'm still fishing the same two rods and put a lot of time on them each season. I will have to replace some of the cork on one this winter but, that's about it. I really love these rods.
Well if that is their "Granite" graphite, you haven't had one blow up as that too, is a modified "graphite"! I don't know the exact mix, but do know it is less than the 96% originally used by Loomis, making their graphite rods? I am thinking less graphite, more glass = "Granite"?

Nice rod! :)

Well, probably be shot down for not saying Loomis or whatever but I've been fishing a Fenwick glass rod for 36 years and its still going strong. Good heft for cranking and a light tip for getting those light hits. Been so good that my two fishing partners have gone out and purchased Fenwick rods over the past couple of years and if it weren't for slightly inferior eyes, they are almost identical in weight and play as my original rod. Very good downrigger rod.

quote:Originally posted by abcyahoo

Well, probably be shot down for not saying Loomis or whatever but I've been fishing a Fenwick glass rod for 36 years and its still going strong. Good heft for cranking and a light tip for getting those light hits. Been so good that my two fishing partners have gone out and purchased Fenwick rods over the past couple of years and if it weren't for slightly inferior eyes, they are almost identical in weight and play as my original rod. Very good downrigger rod.
WOW, I used to have a couple of "old" Fenwicks, which mine did carry a lifetime warranty. I would probably still have them today, if they hadn't been stolen out of the back of my truck! I still have two of their fly rods! I loved/love them! But when I went to replace my orginals, Fenwick had discontinued their life time warranty? I don't know if that is still the case, but that's reason I finally ended up with my Lamiglass, it was all about the warranty.

I am thinking YOU have twice the rod of your friends?

Gotta love the Richmakes. That's all I used for all of my fishing needs. I believe the blanks are Lamiglass from what the old makers told me. I've since gone with a blend but still cherish my Richmakes.;) eman

About 5 years ago I broke a Fenwick Glass rod that I had had for close to 40 years. They replaced it at no charge but the new rod did not come with a lifetime warranty.

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

About 5 years ago I broke a Fenwick Glass rod that I had had for close to 40 years. They replaced it at no charge but the new rod did not come with a lifetime warranty.
Yep, that's the same problem I had! :(

Well, as fate would have it the 36 year old Fenwick I was bragging about finally gave way last week while trolling for salmon. Now Fenwick is telling me that if it wasn't a manufacturer's defect, it isn't covered. They will replace the rod for 45% on retail plus shipping costs both ways. I guess thats still better than going out and buying one at the store except I'm not exactly sure what I'll get in return for my vintage rod. How did you guys get replacement rods for only the cost of shipping on your broken vintage rods?

quote:How did you guys get replacement rods for only the cost of shipping on your broken vintage rods?
In my experience it's a retailer who has a solid relationship with the manufacturer that does those deals, that or good old fashioned luck of the draw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Back