gradywhite overturned at Entrance island,

Poaching is poaching but where's the proof? Your not even on the mainland seafever what knowledge do you have of this operations illigel crabbing?

Anyways that's not the point the point is personally speaking I'd rather a boat full of poachers returns to shore safely then get flipped and everyone ends up in the water. Next time it won't work out so well and as others have posted its not the paying guests who are the problem it's the charter operator and you can bet if only one guy is saved it will be the captain.

If this is going on DFO needs to crack down that we can all agree on.

I've seen the kingfisher with the canvassed back offloading at McDonald on a few occasions. I think they are out almost daily for the number of times that have seen them.

The catch is all packed into coolers and garbage bags before the canvas comes off. Then it's straight up the dock and into the back of their suvs. I got a glimpse in one cooler one day and it was packed with crab. Couldn't tell if they were undersized to me so no proof there. Definitely a secretive / suspect operation tho.

Poaching is poaching but where's the proof? Your not even on the mainland seafever what knowledge do you have of this operations illigel crabbing?

Anyways that's not the point the point is personally speaking I'd rather a boat full of poachers returns to shore safely then get flipped and everyone ends up in the water. Next time it won't work out so well and as others have posted its not the paying guests who are the problem it's the charter operator and you can bet if only one guy is saved it will be the captain.

If this is going on DFO needs to crack down that we can all agree on.

DFO knows about it all right. A DFO Creel Surveyor has caught them before and they have been reported.
I too have reported and watched them unload. However, on one occasion they did have limits for everyone...legal limits. Insane though....

I do have one point though... A certain amount of responsibility does rest with the clients. The Asian clients are a group unto themselves. I have sold trips for the maximum capacity of 4 people and six show up. They want a discount, want a deal, want to bargain on rates, etc etc. I have also had them refuse to produce licenses when they said they had them.

Should we all be thankful that God Almighty had a Lightstation Keeper within sight of them? Yes. should we be thankful they were so lucky? yes. However... One thing for sure...seafever called it the way it is.

I bought some stuff from a young Asian gal at Jay's in Tofino. I believe her main job was to act as a booking agent and interpreter in getting guests organized for charters. There are legitimate charters doing it the right way. Glad everyone is okay, and am more interested in what caused the boat to capsize.

Another thing to ponder.

Let's say your a filthy poacher and want to load the boat with as many rockfish as you can catch in one day.

Do you

A) load a boat with as many people as possible including your frail grandma, your mother, mother in law etc.

OR

B) go out with a few people who know what they are doing and Load up.

I think the answer is B. So watch the news clip, if they are filthy poachers why is grandma and a few other ladies who are probably not into fishing along? Seems like a huge hassel to take that many people out UNLESS you need their licenses to increase your bag limit.

I don't think it's in poor taste at all. The reason for them being there in the first place is pertinent to the outcome.

Book a charter on a 32 footer all the way from Vancouver to catch 1 rockfish?......sounds ridiculous.

Maybe they each get a Ling too.....but I doubt there are that many legal-sized ones around in the same spots day after day.

To say nothing of the dubious crab catches too.

Since the boat(s) has a wrap-around cover on the back that's closed all the time........we can assume that the majority of people on the boat all the time are Oriental. As was stated:-" they don't want to get sunburned like us ".

Not that there aren't white poachers (or other nationalities) who would be glad to go out and harvest illegally as well.

Personally I'm tired of these "sensitive issues" being swept under the carpet for fear of political incorrectness.

It doesn't matter if the people on board are orange,pink,purple or green...........poaching is poaching.

Who says they are only taking 1 rockfish?? Seriously these people could give a **** about the rules

CHEK just did a story about it but the emphasis was on how the lighthouse guys went to the rescue.

I saw a similar situation in Nanaimo last night. Brand new 18 lifetimer t-top 6 asians come off it. Scotty puller, jigging rods, rubbermaid in on the back of suv tailgate but very elusive when I even got close. DFO has commercial interests at heart but you can still make them feel uncomfortable and RAPP. They will even ask for your heads I tell them to $#%@ off at this point as they are in my space.

i have not witnessed anything shady like this personally - but the news articles i have seen are very suspect in my opinion!

if so many people are seeing these idiots breaking the law, why aren't they taking pictures and reporting?? unfortunate that it seems like the wild west and we have to take "justice" into our own hands to protect what little local resource we have left...

I have seen it many times in nanoose bay as they are taking way over limits of clams always having to be chased off the FN lease time and again, ignorance or not they should be reported and dfo should do there job in fallowing it up. What will be a shame is that more of these areas will be depleted to the point that we will see more RCA's popping up.

Back