gradywhite overturned at Entrance island,

I suspect that little will be done about these idiots. people like this who exploit our natural resources, flaunt our marine laws and could care less should be returned and banished.

yep.

DFO and Transport Canada know all about these guys too. I know someone at DFO who is aware of these guys. They moor somewhere within 10 minutes up River of MacDonald Beach and tend usually show up together. One of the guys who has one of the Gradys..who I have tried to talk to one 2 occasions has been totally dismissive. They cater exclusively to Richmond folks...if you know what I mean and keep an ultra low profile so as to "remain" invisible on the Internet and newspapers...etc.

You nailed it. You can set your watch to these guys dropping off their happy poachers @ Mcdonald daily. If TC and DFO is aware, how come nothing gets done??

Good riddance to the flipped Grady. I've never seen a salmon rod on these boats. Just halibut rods to poach any rockfish they can. Day in Day out. Never seen a crab pot on the boats either but they always have handfuls of undersize illegal crab. I'd like to say I'm exaggerating but we know I'm not.

Sad.

You nailed it. You can set your watch to these guys dropping off their happy poachers @ Mcdonald daily. If TC and DFO is aware, how come nothing gets done??

Good riddance to the flipped Grady. I've never seen a salmon rod on these boats. Just halibut rods to poach any rockfish they can. Day in Day out. Never seen a crab pot on the boats either but they always have handfuls of undersize illegal crab. I'd like to say I'm exaggerating but we know I'm not.

Sad.
In a case like this can't you just phone Crime stoppers? I looked on a DFO site and am sure its an option.

So let me get this str8 this is rock fish charter running out of Richmond? I have no idea or even know the boat to make that claim. Aside from that though despite if they are doing anything illegal the fact remains this doesn't make any sense... There must have been a drain open or something, and water under floor.... But all I know is that amount of people on a boat like that is overcrowded.... Most of won't take that many people out at a time... If its over 30 maybe I can see it. So its obvious they all paid money and this was group charter if they have a C designation. Seems like a long trip to come all the way here for rockfish just saying...

Nine people were rescued Monday afternoon after the 32-foot fishing boat they were on capsized and sank just off of Entrance Island not far from Nanaimo.Two of the passengers were taken to hospital when brought into the Nanaimo harbour due to hypothermia, and were accompanied by a translator who was also aboard the vessel. One patient's condition was complicated by a "cardiac issues," said Martin Drakeley, assistant chief of operations from Nanaimo Fire Rescue."We're currently warming up the other six (people) with new clothes and we'll get them off to the hospital so they can reunite as a group shortly," he said yesterday.Drakeley said the boat was in the process of being recovered, but said it was difficult to determine the cause of the sinking. Most of the passengers on the boat do not speak English, he added. He said he was also unsure if they were wearing life jackets.The boat's home port was Richmond.The incident happened just before 2 p.m. The occupants of the boat were picked up by the lighthouse keeper off of Entrance Island, Drakeley said."He had a small dory and he was able to get them, which was a dangerous situation in itself," he said. "Good thinking on the part of the lighthouse keeper."However, Drakeley said two and three-foot swells combined with the small size of the light keeper's boat made for a treacherous situation.

I just hope what is said on here isn't happening...That's brutal.

Don't kid yourself. 32' gradys, 30' Kingfisher. Business is good emptying Nanaimo of its rockfish and ling cod.

The Grady has a blue canvas top covering the entire stern (and usually has about 9 or more "guests" peering out from underneath.

The Kingfisher is Grey/white with a full black canvas top, also covering the entire stern.

I have never seen the canvas tops removed, likely because it offers good protection from concerned eyes.

Likely, the boat is insured (they have to be at a marina) and it will be handsomely replaced by something bigger and more capable of further dredging Thrasher Rock and Entrance Island.

Let's not forget this is a guide operation. It shouldn't matter if the guests speak english or not, or can read the regs or not. It is up to the guide to know the regs and enforce the regs on his boat.

Let's be real here folks. These so called guides are not taking out nine, ahem locals travelling long distances to catch 1 or two rockcod each. This is organised poaching on a very large scale. And why DFO is not all over it is beyond me. But I guess It shouldn't be.:mad: eman

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't kid yourself. 32' gradys, 30' Kingfisher. Business is good emptying Nanaimo of its rockfish and ling cod.

The Grady has a blue canvas top covering the entire stern (and usually has about 9 or more "guests" peering out from underneath.

The Kingfisher is Grey/white with a full black canvas top, also covering the entire stern.

I have never seen the canvas tops removed, likely because it offers good protection from concerned eyes.

Likely the canvas is because their customers are Asian, most asians don't like to be baked in the sun like us, they prefer to keep their skin light - only poor chinese are dark.

but hey are they fishing in RCAs or fishing in legal waters? If it's legal waters then are they not entitled to catch fish with a legal liscence like the rest of us, or is it beause they are immigrants?

I would also agree this is 100% on the guiding operation, I doubt those people are asking to breakt the law, they just want fish. Its the greedy guide that making the money.

The guests are not necessarily tourists. They show up in some high end luxury vehicles at MacDonald Beach!

The Grady's I believe are 27-28' feet and the Kingfishers are large...one has twin 300 suzukis and 2 25 hp Merc. kickers!

Anyways, they got what was coming to them....and it'll be interesting to see what happens next. I suspect they all were on one side of the boat and a problem was already in play and developing and as time wore on... It happened...it affected the stability of the boat and down she went.

I once had a pod on a boat I was running fill with water and it made for some pretty interesting moments until I figured out exactly had happened.

Back to the important aspects of this thread

1) Glad everyone survived
2) Glad there was a lighthouse keeper there and he responded quickly. I hope Harper reads about this
3) I hope we hear more about what caused this boat to go down so we can all learn from it

As for the rest? Poor taste to be bringing this up in a thread about a capsized boat where under different circumstances 9 lives could have been lost. Start a different thread or better hound DFO until they do something about it. Help them out gathering evidence of paoching too if you can. They will probably not specifically stop a boat based on heresay and they CERTAINLY won't stop a boat based on the guests being from "richmond" but with evidence perhaps they would run a sting.

I don't think it's in poor taste at all. The reason for them being there in the first place is pertinent to the outcome.

Book a charter on a 32 footer all the way from Vancouver to catch 1 rockfish?......sounds ridiculous.

Maybe they each get a Ling too.....but I doubt there are that many legal-sized ones around in the same spots day after day.

To say nothing of the dubious crab catches too.

Since the boat(s) has a wrap-around cover on the back that's closed all the time........we can assume that the majority of people on the boat all the time are Oriental. As was stated:-" they don't want to get sunburned like us ".

Not that there aren't white poachers (or other nationalities) who would be glad to go out and harvest illegally as well.

Personally I'm tired of these "sensitive issues" being swept under the carpet for fear of political incorrectness.

It doesn't matter if the people on board are orange,pink,purple or green...........poaching is poaching.

If the operators are assisting with poaching and/or are running an illegal guiding service, then perhaps the endangerment of the lives of some clients will result in more interest from enforcement. But I did say IF since I have no personal knowledge of the situation.

Back