Grady hull issues

Unreel

Trying to determine what the issue is with this hull. At first I thought it was heavy oxidation but don’t think so the more I’ve looked at it. Usually oxidation is dull and chalky. This dark stuff flakes off if you scrape it with your nail. Any ideas?754DEF3E-2911-4871-AD5A-551BEF4E9A81.jpegAA67072E-68F4-4D18-9FE6-1D24952911EE.jpeg

That looks interesting and doesn’t look like a Grady factory issue, must be someone trying to redo the gelcoat and not doing a very good job. The gelcoat on my 1999 Seafarer is faded but still in great shape.

Ya, that doesn't look original to me. My 2003 Grady original gelcoat shines. Looks like something over the original gelcoat to me. And those trim tabs, wow, never seen that before.

this looks like the same issue with my brother in laws boat. the old owner waxed his boat with mop and glow. left a crazy build up on the gel coat that looked like absolute hell but cleaned up pretty nice after a ton of elbow grease.

Wonder if it is a shark hide coating or a product similar too it.
Have you tried a small spot, wet sand , polish and wax too see if it cleans up?

this looks like the same issue with my brother in laws boat. the old owner waxed his boat with mop and glow. left a crazy build up on the gel coat that looked like absolute hell but cleaned up pretty nice after a ton of elbow grease.
That is it for sure, I was wondering where I had seen this before.'
Deja Moo, when you have seen this bullsh!t before.

There are a few of those miracle polishes out there, forgot the one I removed from a large Tollycraft, it was hell to get off.

Yup, just heard from the owner and said it was an old wax job. It flakes off when you scrape it. Must have been a terrible job to look like that.

I've never seen anything like those trim tabs either.Pocket tabs at the back like Pursuit has but nothing with hull behind.Was it an extended hull or something?

Poliglow

Had a nightmare about this stuff last night.
At least I remembered the name this morning.

Removing is tough, even with 3M products.
Need to be careful that any chemical stripper does not soften the gel coat and that mechanical removal does not go through the gel coat.

There is a stripper I used on my boat to get the top coat that the previous owner had painted everywhere,it was a bio degradeable water based product that didn't harm the gel coat at all,I don't have the brand name right now but I'll find it at home.

Is that even a factory extension? doesn't look grady....weird
When Grady switched from the outboard brackets to the integrated transom on the sailfish they went to a stepped up design like this. I believe when the sailfish model changed to the 282 from the 272, they extended the entire hull eliminating the step up.

Back