GPS for Hunting

spring fever

I want to get a mapping GPS for hunting. I looked at a friends who is a guide in the Horsefly area and he had a Garmin 380 (I think) which could download local maps. I can't seem to find that model. Anyone have any suggestions-would also like to use it in the truck on logging roads so if it could plug into a 12v source it would be great. Don't want any combo phones/cameras etc. Thanks

I have and use the Garmin gpsmap 62stc, its a great unit, tracks in and out with ease and stores local maps or just the areas you want in great detail,
I purchased the backroads mapbook for it and it is worthwhile, just used it last weekend and will be using again in another week, definitely takes me places I wouldnt of otherwise found
this one also has a built in camera

compare gpscity.ca and gpscentral.ca both usually have some decent deals on and ship quickly from calgary

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring fever, check out buy/sell forum.Nog is selling a GPSs unit. Bruce

definitely go for a garmin. backroad mapbooks only work with them - besides the fact that they are the best handhelds made imo.

i have the oregon (450 i think) and love it. It clips on my backpack shoulder strap so i can look down and read things when im hiking along. it then unclips and pops into a ram-mount i have on my atv handlebar.touch screen, no camera in mine. the bigger the screen the better!

use lithium aa batteries. double the cost from alkaline, but last 2-4x as long. i always keep a spare set in my bag too.

definitely go for a garmin. backroad mapbooks only work with them - besides the fact that they are the best handhelds made imo.

i have the oregon (450 i think) and love it. It clips on my backpack shoulder strap so i can look down and read things when im hiking along. it then unclips and pops into a ram-mount i have on my atv handlebar.touch screen, no camera in mine. the bigger the screen the better!

use lithium aa batteries. double the cost from alkaline, but last 2-4x as long. i always keep a spare set in my bag too.
I'm convinced that Garmin is the way to go-where does one get these backroads topo maps and how do you download them? Is your unit rechargeable? Do any Garmin GPS 's plug into a cigarette lighter in a truck and then be pulled out and used as a hand held?

I'm convinced that Garmin is the way to go-where does one get these backroads topo maps and how do you download them? Is your unit rechargeable? Do any Garmin GPS 's plug into a cigarette lighter in a truck and then be pulled out and used as a hand held?

when i bought mine 2 years ago and was looking around:

most units you can buy a rechargeable battery pack that pops into where the aa batteries go. but when your out in the bush, i wouldn't recommend that. what if it dies? batteries pop-out, pop-in, keep going. with the lithium aa's i usually get 3-4 days of riding with them, shorter when its cold out.
Rechargeable aa batteries i will go through 1.5-2 sets in a day. alkaline aa's, 1-1.5days per set.

backroad mapbook chip pops into the units battery compartment. you can buy it at most outdoor stores, i got mine online when i ordered my gps from gps city (http://www.gpscity.ca/). itsa bc wide, not region by region like their paper books are.

you can get driving chips for them and car mounts, but the screen and useability of a hiking / outdoor gps just isnt geared for the car and driving. dont expect to use it as both and be equally pleased.

i also got the temperature sensor which is really worth it to me. i have it clipped to the outside of my bag and it reads on the screen everywhere i go.

The Garmin 62s is what we used two weeks ago hunting by Dease Lake. Used the Generic colour mapping that comes with it. Worked great.

Further to my last post, my hunting buddy just bought a Delorme Inreach Explorer GPS with SOS two way communication and has mapping.

garmin gpsmap units are great i use the 60hxc, 60hcx? hsx? something like that anyways..... friends just got the 62 from gpscity.ca best prices ive found and 10$ shipping.

as for topo maps get the backroads topo. best detail by far.

ive seen backroads topo on piratebay.org

I am a little confused on these Garmins and I realize I have had no experience on them other than my onboard ones. I have narrowed it down to a 62s-now I see I can get a 62st Canadian which comes pre-loaded with the topo maps-or I can get a 62 and buy the bc backroads edition maps. I want it for hunting in the caribou and north-what is the best option here?

or if you want to buy a copy of the bc backroads topo maps buy it on a cd, not the card.

you can make several spare cards off the cd, but cant make a spare from the card

Yes the torrent download is the backroads Mapbook in the correct format for the garmin gps

Back