Gorge Herring Run

Heard today from a reliable source there was all kinds of ballup's
birds and fish working off the harbor mouth yesterday.
that's likely the start of the commute up the gorge !

while fishing a few weeks back i saw abunch of big ones in a ball up off albert head

I drove up and down the gorge 2 days ago to see if there was any activity and nothing more then a few ducks, no gulls or cormorants and definitely no herring.

Is there still lots of big bait hanging around the waterfront?

quote: The herring have started going up the gorge with anglers reporting catching up to 15 in a trip.

This is from the island outfitters fishing report as of Feb. 18th - sounds like they are trying to sell some herring jigs. Unless there is another area other then the gorge that people jig for herring around here?

Fishable spots:

1. Galloping Goose tressel
2. under the Tillicum bridge
3. Admirals Bridge

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The herring have started going up the gorge with anglers reporting catching up to 15 in a trip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the island outfitters fishing report as of Feb. 18th - sounds like they are trying to sell some herring jigs.

the guy catching the herring was fishing the ebb tide in the evening (by the Craigflower Bridge I'm told) and that there wasn't much happening during the day

weird, you'd think a flood would bring them into the gorge - but to honest this is the first year I've thought about doing the gorge herring thing. Hopefully it comes into full swing soon.

The fish come in on the flood then hang around for a cycle i think. Usually at the low tide you can catch them in the arm at the admirals bridge as they hold up there in a bit of deeper water.

Back